This Is 'Lola,' a 5,700-Year-Old Woman Whose Entire Life Is Revealed in Her 'Chewing Gum'

Dec 18, 2019
Visit site
I'm not sure why anyone is not picking up on this. The DNA sample is from someone from Denmark. Why does she have (according to the DNA reconstruction) have dark hair & skin??

I wonder about the same myself. I enlarged the image, had a close look at her and her surroundings, even what she seemed to be sitting on, all this seems to be like a lot of us here, where we live... maybe I wonder too much

Reactions: ademwest
Dec 18, 2019
Visit site
I'm not sure why anyone is not picking up on this. The DNA sample is from someone from Denmark. Why does she have (according to the DNA reconstruction) have dark hair & skin??
The article say, "They found that Lola's genes matched more closely to hunter-gatherers from the European mainland than those who lived in central Scandinavia at the time."

Dec 19, 2019
Visit site

To be honest it's not as suprising as you might think. The Same people in the northern part of Scandinavia are descended from hunter gatherers and also have a darker skin tone. The European Scandinavian as we know them are from an other group of migrants which were less of a hunter gatherers and more like farmers.

I got this from a documentary which talked in detail about the human migration into Scandinavian countries, there where multiple groups. (Not sure what is was called) While the glaciers melted the hunter gatherers followed the pray more and more up north.

We do know that all humans descended from darker skinned ancestors, but losing the darker pigmentation seems not to have played a big role in the Scandinavians skin tone. The different descendants had a bigger influence.

Last edited:
Reactions: LCarlson
Dec 19, 2019
Visit site
Re skin / hair & eye colour. There must be a correlation to the migration patterns of ancient briton, as "cheddar man" and DNA samples of a woman (both ancient britons) had dark skin and blue eyes. I find this interesting, I thought heavy pigment was correlated with sun protection, and blue eyes were a feature of colder northern climates with low need for sun protection. Maybe the dark skin was vestigal as migration moved away from africa and blue eyes were an adaptation. Anyway - they say the earliest britons were dark skinned with blue eyes. Fascinating.

According to some recent scientific report Europeans were dark-skinned until 8,000 years ago. Some anthropologist think that white skinned people came to mainland Europe from outside and white skin gene mixed with native Europeans by intermarriage and later white skinned become dominant by colonization. When Christianity arrived in Europe it boosted the speed of colonization and remaining native Europeans were cleared through ethnic cleansing.

Reactions: lumbeeornah41
It is possible, and not only possible, but probable. When you think about, and remember that Science has proven that the earth has shifted, for instance, you realize that the climate in an area has not always been the same. When you look at the Scientific evidence that shows that our pigmentation, (color), has also been determined by the climate of the area which our ancestors have dwelled in the longest. Of course our color doesn't change according to climate in 100 years, or even 200 years. Yet, our color and other facial features, etc., tend to indicate the climate of the area of our ancestors. Still, the climate of Denmark was perhaps, tropical, back then!

Jan 29, 2020
Visit site
Originally we started from the 1 continent of Africa.
So being dark skin and hair is obvious.
Over 1000s of years the earth moved, and more continents were formed.
Which also had land bridges, for animals and people to cross.
Aborigines are not seafaring people, from Australia.
They are arrived to the Australian continent, while it was part of Africa.
97 % of the world was under water.
With 1 continent.
As the seas subsided, and earthquakes, volcanos erupted, more land was available for early people and animals to explore.
THE further away from there origins, and millions of years, people changed.
Like animals, plants and every living things.
Welcome to EVOLUTION......!

Feb 4, 2020
Visit site
I think it's pretty common knowledge now in the scientific world that Africa is the most diverse population on the face of the Earth, and that Africa is the original land of the living, from where ALL human life originates, both African and "non-African".

"The genetic analyses revealed a handful of other findings of the ancient people of Cameroon. For instance, one of the boy's genomes revealed that he had the oldest branch of the Y chromosome, which shows that the oldest lineage of human males was present in Cameroon for at least 8,000 years, and possibly much longer, the researchers said.

The children's genomes also showed signs of admixture, suggesting that the children's ancestors mated with people from different populations, the researchers found.
In addition, the analysis suggests that there are at least four major human lineages, which date to between 200,000 and 300,000 years ago.

This realization is unique to this dataset, and hasn't been found from previous genetic studies, the researchers said. The scientists also found another set of four sub-branches of human lineages that date to between 60,000 and 80,000 years ago. This includes the lineage that gave rise to all modern non-Africans, the researchers said."

LCarlson

Administrator
Nov 12, 2019
Visit site
Wow, thanks for giving this thread a bump, sward... this is right up my alley and I missed it when it first went up.
I am thrilled that advances in DNA analysis are bringing us more and deeper information than ever before.
~LC

Feb 16, 2020
Visit site
I agree that if Lola had dark skin and blue eyes, just like the skeleton found in Britian from about 6000 or 8000 years ago, how did modern humans lighten up their skin so fast? The blue eyes probably came from Neandertals.

Feb 17, 2020
Visit site
r
My uderstanding from other sources is that for a population to develop light or dark skin requires about 2000 years after an extreme shft in climate through migration. But what I have read more recently indicates that it is all controlled by genetics imagine the people living in northern climates devloped light skin first because they spent more time n cnaves avoiding the cold and the sun as well as probably wearing more to cover their bodies. As civilizations moved toward more in door living then skin tones became lighter. Indians have very dark skin like many Africans. Amazons and Australian natives are also known for their dark skins. They are the populations with more agarian or more hunter and gatherer types of existence. The expectation is that over time the percent of the world's population with very dark skin will decline. The 5700 year old woman has dark skin but it is not extremely dark. The eye color may be more of a racial difference than an evoloution based on climate.

Bottom line, I don't think we know enought to rightfully determine thar her skin or hair were dark or her eyes were blue. People migrated to Europe as early as 100,000 years ago. Modern day people became residents about 40000-45000. So how would we have a 5700 yr old woman with dark skin?

Feb 16, 2020
Visit site
r
My uderstanding from other sources is that for a population to develop light or dark skin requires about 2000 years after an extreme shft in climate through migration. But what I have read more recently indicates that it is all controlled by genetics imagine the people living in northern climates devloped light skin first because they spent more time n cnaves avoiding the cold and the sun as well as probably wearing more to cover their bodies. As civilizations moved toward more in door living then skin tones became lighter. Indians have very dark skin like many Africans. Amazons and Australian natives are also known for their dark skins. They are the populations with more agarian or more hunter and gatherer types of existence. The expectation is that over time the percent of the world's population with very dark skin will decline. The 5700 year old woman has dark skin but it is not extremely dark. The eye color may be more of a racial difference than an evoloution based on climate.

Bottom line, I don't think we know enought to rightfully determine thar her skin or hair were dark or her eyes were blue. People migrated to Europe as early as 100,000 years ago. Modern day people became residents about 40000-45000. So how would we have a 5700 yr old woman with dark skin?

Feb 16, 2020
Visit site
Thinking of the Inuit and Eskimo people, their skins are dark, so living without sunlight shining on the skin does not make them lighter.
A new thought, I read that at some Siberian village, they bread with a Yeti, and their offspring had some of the characteristics showing Yeti. QUESTION - are the Yeti and Denisova people the same and did this lighten up the skin on people? Is this how people got lighter, the normal for modern humans is brown, darker skin. Is this the answer?

Mar 9, 2020
Visit site
I find it amazing that someone would think to preserve that piece of birch bark after finding it in the mud.
Scientist now know that all man came from Africa and they can see it in our DNA they know your ancestory by doing a saiiva test. When ancient Africans migrated North some went to westwards to Europe, some went further north to Russia, Denmark, some went Eaststwards to China and some went to India and to the rest of Asia and some just stayed in the deserts of Saudi Arabia and the Middle East because people like to experiment how to live in tough conditions we are hobbyist and amateuristic. So scientist say the African skin turned white in Europe not because they thought before its nearly always cloudy it because of their diet changed in Europe, maybe because Europe is all green and cattle, sheep and river fish is plentiful and their was plenty of birds and other wildlife so more protein probably makes whiter skin. So in China their was probably more arid or dry type of land semi arid.

Mar 9, 2020
Visit site
Originally we started from the 1 continent of Africa.
So being dark skin and hair is obvious.
Over 1000s of years the earth moved, and more continents were formed.
Which also had land bridges, for animals and people to cross.
Aborigines are not seafaring people, from Australia.
They are arrived to the Australian continent, while it was part of Africa.
97 % of the world was under water.
With 1 continent.
As the seas subsided, and earthquakes, volcanos erupted, more land was available for early people and animals to explore.
THE further away from there origins, and millions of years, people changed.
Like animals, plants and every living things.
Welcome to EVOLUTION......!
Australian Aboriginals came from India.

Mar 9, 2020
Visit site
I agree that if Lola had dark skin and blue eyes, just like the skeleton found in Britian from about 6000 or 8000 years ago, how did modern humans lighten up their skin so fast? The blue eyes probably came from Neandertals.
5 years ago scientist said there is more red heads being born in Australia so in 2000 years time nearly all Australians will have Red Hair.