These 5 mistakes could worsen the coronavirus outbreak

Some of what is dismissed as "conspiracy theory" is simply a different opinion based on different, but valid, background knowledge. Doctors are generally NOT trained in herbology, nor do they keep up with the latest medical research for everything that might be relevant to all their patients. Doctors are required to keep up with pharmaceutical knowledge but they do not have time or particular incentive to keep up with research related to herbs, supplements and diet. So when we read blanket negative statements about non-drug remedies but we know better, because we have done our own research, we may view the propagandists with suspicion.

For example, below is research on concentrated elderberry juice that shows that elderberry does indeed have antiviral and immune-boosting effects, contrary to the article at LiveScience. Another, more recent study done in Australia had travelers take elderberry capsules or placebo before and during travel and then compared people in both groups who came down with colds. Elderberry reduced the severity of the symptoms and reduced recovery time by two days on average. Does that mean elderberry will stop you from getting coronavirus? Nobody has done that research yet. Should you take it? Why not? It's entirely up to you - not the government, YET, thank God!

From https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22972323 :
"...We evaluated the antiviral effect of concentrated juice of elderberry (CJ-E) on the human influenza A virus (IFV). CJ-E had a relatively strong effect on IFV-infected mice, although its anti-IFV activity was weak in a cell culture system. The in vivo anti-IFV activities of the fractions were determined after separating CJ-E by ultrafiltration and anion-exchange chromatography. Oral administration of the high-molecular-weight fractions of CJ-E to IFV-infected mice suppressed viral replication in the bronchoalveolar lavage fluids (BALFs), and increased the level of the IFV-specific neutralizing antibody in the serum, as well as the level of secretory IgA in BALFs and feces. Fr. II from high-molecular-weight fraction HM, which contained acidic polysaccharides, showed relatively strong defense against IFV infection. We conclude that CJ-E had a beneficial effect by the stimulating immune response and preventing viral infection. "

While not a human study, humans have been taking elderberry for centuries to help with colds and flu. While they might have all been deluded, they also might NOT have been. Furthermore, elderberry has also been used in jams, preserves and drinks for centuries. Elderberry is food (unlike donuts or french fries... but I digress). There is no harm in taking elderberry. If it keeps you from getting really sick, you won't need to see the doctor. Quarantine yourself and no harm done. Don't go to work with a contagious disease whether it's coronavirus or something else. If you do get really sick, then go seek medical attention.

So how is elderberry a dangerous folk remedy, and dangerous to whom?

Reactions: timtak
Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
Not only does the NIH have supporting literature on the benefits of elderberry, but a host of others do as well, including the University of Maryland and the Israeli Defence Forces. There is literally no downside to taking elderberry syrup; it could possibly save a life, or at the very least, prevent severe illness. It was hugely irresponsible for the writer of this article to include elderberry when I am certain that she did zero research on its benefits. It has shown profound effectiveness against both influenza A and B, the common cold, and infectious bronchitis, which is caused by a chicken coronavirus.

Mar 6, 2020
Visit site
Absolutely agree with everything said in previous comments, there're thousands of studies done on antivaral,antioxidant, immune-enchancing properties of Vitamin C alone. And having said that there's no vaccine, they still keep on stressing how it's wrong to use vitamins and herbs to increase the body's ability to fight the virus. Just stop regurgitating the same nonsense and start thinking rationally. And if you don't see the real science-backed research behind natural components, it doesn't mean there's none, it just means you chose to ignore it.

Mar 8, 2020
Visit site
Anybody who is interested in taking large doses of Vitamin C by mouth should read the following article published in 1981, which is available online. "The Method of Determining Proper Doses of Vitamin C for the Treatment of Disease by Titrating to Bowel Tolerance" by Robert F. Cathcart III M.D.

I have now been taking large doses of Vitamin C by mouth for several months as part of a strict weight-reducing diet. I feel my general health has improved, both because of substantial weight loss and because of the use of various Vitamin and Mineral supplements. I have no idea if gradually increasing the dosage of Vitamin C will help protect me from Coronavirus, but as I am elderly and have many health problems I feel I have nothing to lose. Bought In bulk, in powder form, both Ascorbic Acid and Sodium Ascorbate are still relatively cheap. The tablets are a rip off, at least in the UK.

Another article of interest I have found is "Clinical Guide to the Use of Vitamin C" published 1988. This is a summary of the work of Frederick R. Klenner, M.D. by Lendon H. Smith M.D. It includes Dr Klenner's account of successfully treating many cases of viral pneumonia with large doses of Vitamin C.

Mar 9, 2020
Visit site
To equate taking elderberry with drinking bleach is preposterous. The efficacy of elderberry, either as syrup or a tea made from dried berries,in dealing with flu, has been proven in randomized studies, as for example reported here https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15080016

I and several friends have been drinking elderberry tea every day for the last decade and, in sharp contrast to our past experience, have never during that period caught a cold or come down with flu; and one of those friends had been diagnosed with COPD. It may not work on all viruses, or it may, or it may work only on some, but it appears to have no side effects and it could be of great benefit in the current situation.

Let me add: elderberry is a superb expectorant.

Last edited:
Reactions: timtak
Mar 10, 2020
Visit site
Here is a study on elderberry and the flu, showing that it is effective, and how and why. While coronavirus is not the flu, at least some of the effects of elderberry may still be effective, at least partially, against coronavirus.

Mar 10, 2020
Visit site
Anybody who is interested in taking large doses of Vitamin C by mouth should read the following article published in 1981, which is available online. "The Method of Determining Proper Doses of Vitamin C for the Treatment of Disease by Titrating to Bowel Tolerance" by Robert F. Cathcart III M.D.

I have now been taking large doses of Vitamin C by mouth for several months as part of a strict weight-reducing diet. I feel my general health has improved, both because of substantial weight loss and because of the use of various Vitamin and Mineral supplements. I have no idea if gradually increasing the dosage of Vitamin C will help protect me from Coronavirus, but as I am elderly and have many health problems I feel I have nothing to lose. Bought In bulk, in powder form, both Ascorbic Acid and Sodium Ascorbate are still relatively cheap. The tablets are a rip off, at least in the UK.

Another article of interest I have found is "Clinical Guide to the Use of Vitamin C" published 1988. This is a summary of the work of Frederick R. Klenner, M.D. by Lendon H. Smith M.D. It includes Dr Klenner's account of successfully treating many cases of viral pneumonia with large doses of Vitamin C.
Interesting Shirley49 :) Also, there's all Linus Pauling's research on Vitamin C - Thought some may dismiss Pauling's research & work, many do still use Vit C & Lysine to help with Vascular health. Whether he got it all 100% spot on or not is one thing, but I think his Vit C research has a something in it, for sure.

Jan 2, 2020
Visit site
Here is a study on elderberry and the flu, showing that it is effective, and how and why. While coronavirus is not the flu, at least some of the effects of elderberry may still be effective, at least partially, against coronavirus.

Yes, while there are concerns with immune system upward modulation being a liability with a cytokine storm, Elderberry, unlike some general immune system stimulants, has a well-known action whereby it inhibits the entry of the virus into human cells (some call a form of "melting" away the spikes). And, while Elderberry may enhance cytokine formation/action, we 1) don't know for sure, as that comes from approx. 18 year-old in vitro or animal studies, and 2) though we don't know for sure, the cytokines in play for Elderberry are thought to be anti-inflammatory.
Even then CKs are not so simple, as while IL-4, IL10, IL-13 are thought of as anti-inflammatory, IL-1, IL-12, IL-15 are pro-inflammatory, CKs can be either and change. Consider that IL-22 is anti- in the bowels, but pro- for the skin.
There really does need to be some focused research regarding COVID-19 and Elderberry. But, my leaning is that it would be beneficial.

Some of what is dismissed as "conspiracy theory" is simply a different opinion based on different, but valid, background knowledge. Doctors are generally NOT trained in herbology, nor do they keep up with the latest medical research for everything that might be relevant to all their patients. Doctors are required to keep up with pharmaceutical knowledge but they do not have time or particular incentive to keep up with research related to herbs, supplements and diet. So when we read blanket negative statements about non-drug remedies but we know better, because we have done our own research, we may view the propagandists with suspicion.

For example, below is research on concentrated elderberry juice that shows that elderberry does indeed have antiviral and immune-boosting effects, contrary to the article at LiveScience. Another, more recent study done in Australia had travelers take elderberry capsules or placebo before and during travel and then compared people in both groups who came down with colds. Elderberry reduced the severity of the symptoms and reduced recovery time by two days on average. Does that mean elderberry will stop you from getting coronavirus? Nobody has done that research yet. Should you take it? Why not? It's entirely up to you - not the government, YET, thank God!

From https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22972323 :
"...We evaluated the antiviral effect of concentrated juice of elderberry (CJ-E) on the human influenza A virus (IFV). CJ-E had a relatively strong effect on IFV-infected mice, although its anti-IFV activity was weak in a cell culture system. The in vivo anti-IFV activities of the fractions were determined after separating CJ-E by ultrafiltration and anion-exchange chromatography. Oral administration of the high-molecular-weight fractions of CJ-E to IFV-infected mice suppressed viral replication in the bronchoalveolar lavage fluids (BALFs), and increased the level of the IFV-specific neutralizing antibody in the serum, as well as the level of secretory IgA in BALFs and feces. Fr. II from high-molecular-weight fraction HM, which contained acidic polysaccharides, showed relatively strong defense against IFV infection. We conclude that CJ-E had a beneficial effect by the stimulating immune response and preventing viral infection. "

While not a human study, humans have been taking elderberry for centuries to help with colds and flu. While they might have all been deluded, they also might NOT have been. Furthermore, elderberry has also been used in jams, preserves and drinks for centuries. Elderberry is food (unlike donuts or french fries... but I digress). There is no harm in taking elderberry. If it keeps you from getting really sick, you won't need to see the doctor. Quarantine yourself and no harm done. Don't go to work with a contagious disease whether it's coronavirus or something else. If you do get really sick, then go seek medical attention.

So how is elderberry a dangerous folk remedy, and dangerous to whom?
Interesting. That is very promissing. Is there any reasarch on it into common cold viruses? Not Rhinovirus but Coronavirus caused colds. I think becuse of the protien and genetic similarity to other Coronaviruses that it could pertain more to the topic.

I'm not one for non-drug treatments and remedies, but I do like myself some elderberry tea every once in a while. It would be useful if we could isolate various chemicals in the elderberry that boost the immune system. If you notice, cell culture does not have an imunne system, but mice do, so it may not have antiviral properties but helps your body's reaction.