The planet is dying faster than we thought

Page 3 - For the science geek in everyone, Live Science breaks down the stories behind the most interesting news and photos on the Internet.
These are dangerous times for the European people. The people of today's society do not know how to live without electricity. We depend on it so much...we forget....without juice we have nothing. Without electricity we have no water.
And without oil or coal we have not enough electricity, unless we make haste to build alternative sources of energy.
I believe in Prof. Bartlett academic bona fides. 15 years ago he predicted a 50 year window till the end of oil.

That pesky "exponential function" looms large in academic terms.

Simply put, @ 1% growth it will take just 70 years to use more oil than we have used in the entire history of oil reliant industry.

Last edited:
And without oil or coal we have not enough electricity, unless we make haste to build alternative sources of energy.
I believe in Prof. Bartlett academic bona fides. 15 years ago he predicted a 50 year window till the end of oil.

However with better surveillance technology, in the last 5 months alone,

"HOUSTON, April 26 (Reuters) - Exxon Mobil Corp (XOM.N) on Tuesday said it found oil in three new wells drilled off the coastof Guyana, raising recoverable oil and gas potential from its discoveries to nearly 11 billion barrels. "

"May 19 (Reuters) - Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC) on Thursday announced three oil discoveries including one at Bu Hasa, Abu Dhabi’s biggest onshore field, with a crude oil production capacity of 650,000 barrels per day (bpd), the company said on Thursday. "

"HOUSTON, April 26 (Reuters) - Exxon Mobil Corp (XOM.N) on Tuesday said it found oil in three new wells drilled off the coastof Guyana, raising recoverable oil and gas potential from its discoveries to nearly 11 billion barrels. "
Potential oil and gas? A public announcement by an oil company of an undeveloped potential source? I wonder why.

Not very definitive . I would not bet my life on that report.

Did you read the rest of that Reuters article?
The discoveries continue a run of exploration successes that date to 2015, and lifts potential oil and gas volumes by nearly 1 billion barrels. Exxon and partners Hess Corp (HES.N) and CNOOC Ltd (0883.HK) are responsible for almost all oil and gas output in the South American country.
Thus the 11 billion is the total oil and gas reserves. And how much of that is gas?

This a current count from Worldometers

38,181,232 Oil pumped today (barrels)
(and counting @ 1000 bls/ sec)

1,427,640,376,210 Oil left (barrels)
Sources and info:

14,888 Days to the end of oil (~41 years)

Please tell me, what intellect thinks they know how much oil is in the earth? Does scanning the planet with present sensors bestow such data? Does an academic degree bestow such data knowledge? Does mathematical probability bestow such data knowledge? This is not data knowledge, it's arrogance. All we do know.....is that there is more than what we have found. Because we keep finding more of it.

All of our existing wells still have over 60% of the oil in them. AFTER fracking. We haven't even begun......the harvest of fossil fuel.......and we have "experts" saying that we are running out of it. We still have twice the amount there.......from our previous harvest. We have only taken a third out of the well.

Just like the past, in the future, some one will find a way to harvest that oil. There has never been an energy crisis. These are purely political crisis. There is no need for it.

Trying to limit emission will give but one result......more emissions. The amount that we can limit is but a fraction of a drop, in an ocean. While China and India soak this planet.

This is stupid.

Please tell me, what intellect thinks they know how much oil is in the earth? Does scanning the planet with present sensors bestow such data? Does an academic degree bestow such data knowledge? Does mathematical probability bestow such data knowledge? This is not data knowledge, it's arrogance. All we do know.....is that there is more than what we have found. Because we keep finding more of it.
Yes, but that is not the problem. The question is not if there is enough now. The question is when will there not be enough anymore.
All of our existing wells still have over 60% of the oil in them. AFTER fracking. We haven't even begun......the harvest of fossil fuel.......and we have "experts" saying that we are running out of it. We still have twice the amount there.......from our previous harvest. We have only taken a third out of the well.
And with only a 1 % yearly increase in consumption, we will consume in 70 years as much as we have consumed in the past 350 years. This is just mathematics.
Just like in the past, in the future, someone will find a way to harvest that oil. There has never been an energy crisis. These are purely political crises. There is no need for it.
So fossil fuel is an inexhaustible resource? I always heard that oil is a "limited" resource that will inevitably run out at some point. Are you prepared to wait until it is too late to find alternate resources?
Trying to limit emissions will give but one result......more emissions.
The amount that we can limit is but a fraction of a drop, in an ocean. While China and India soak this planet.
That is a contradictory statement.
I showed that the drops you speak of amount to some 50 million barrels per day!

I also showed that China is building more solar and wind power energy collectors than the rest of the world combined. Do they know something we don't?

Moreover there are cash crops that are 10x more efficient in CO2 sequestration than trees which we are clearcutting to the tune of 7 million hectares per year.

This is stupid.
No, our continued reliance on oil is stupid.
It's 1 minute before 12. What will happen when we don't find any more oil?
Watch the Bartlett lecture, unless you feel more qualified than this professor emeritus..

Last edited: