We know it's not engineered, because's it's a 96% genetic match to the original SARS virus, and we know that comes from a Bat virus. We don't know where the other 4% of the virus genome came from, but basically SARS Coronavirus 2 is a direct Genetic descendant of the original SARS virus. It just mutated a few times and lay dormant for almost two decades in some animal somewhere, before eventually mutating back into a human form.
So yes, the full scientific name is "Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2" because it is a direct 96% genetic descendant of SARS.
It wasn't engineered in a laboratory, as it's unlikely anyone besides perhaps ONE man in the world knows enough about viruses to have done such a thing, and he's a Chinese American who's trying to engineer a "Universal Vaccine" to the flu, so I highly doubt he'd be immoral enough to engineer SARS Coronavirus 2 even if he could. Immoral people tend to be too stupid to invent bio-engineering techniques. He has engineered a "Perfect flu strain" for the purpose of demonstrating that a vaccine could be created even for that, but he then immediately destroyed the sample after proving a vaccine could be created even for that, the purpose being a Universal Vaccine needs to kill even the worst imaginable flu strain. His goal is a "once in a lifetime" vaccine for the flu which will kill all future flu strains.
Anyway, SARS 2 is more genetically related to HIV/AIDS than it is the flu. SARS/SARS 2 is an RNA Retrovirus which attacks the immune system. This is why interferon and certain other HIV/AIDS anti-virals appear to work on SARS Coronavirus 2, at least to some extent.
By the way, the flu mutates between humans and animals all the time. There are literally at least 64 families of flu viruses in any given year, and in any given year we now vaccinate for four flu strains that are predicted to be the most virulent each year. This year, the vaccine didn't take well, and the H1N1A strain mutated in an unpredictable way, so the vaccine was mostly useless against that strain. the H1N1A strain is usually the most deadly strain among humans in any given year, but not always, but the vaccine always contains an H1N1A strain and three other strains predicted to be bad for that year.
Anyway, just because SARS mutated a few unpredictable times since it was first discovered doesn't suggest it was bio-engineered by anybody. That's simply ridiculous, and again I doubt anybody is smart enough to engineer a SARS strain virus. It's simply beyond human comprehension at this point, and probably always will be. There are over 3000 RNA genes in SARS/SARS 2 and we understand like literally one or two of them.....even after 100 years we only understand a handful of the genes that make the Flu work, so obviously nobody understands SARS/SARS 2....
If engineering a virus were as simple as an evil person wanting to do that, then every evil dictator in the world would have already done that anyway, and obviously they haven't. When world governments make bioweapons they basically work with biological agents that already exist in nature, such as anthrax, they don't engineer something from scratch, because nobody is smart enough to do that, and it's unlikely any human will ever be smart enough to engineer a retrovirus even a million years from now...
Again, evil people tend to be too stupid and not dedicated enough to bio-engineer anything anyway. Evil people tend to be lazy and steal other people's work, or example, rather than doing the work themselves.