• Welcome to the Live Science Forums, a playground for those curious about humanity and the world around us. Introduce yourself here!

The Best Gifts for Science Nerds and Geeks

Dec 6, 2019
I think you should take the bat off your list.

(1) It's not a vampire bat (real vampires don't have a tail membrane). It's likely some Asian insectivore.

(2) Bats in resin aren't harvested sustainably, and many bats are endangered. It's not an ethical or responsible gift at all. If you want to know more, here's a resource:

Reactions: Hardon Collider
Dec 15, 2019

(1) It's not a vampire bat (real vampires don't have a tail membrane). It's likely some Asian insectivore.

(2) Bats in resin aren't harvested sustainably, and many bats are endangered. It's not an ethical or responsible gift at all. If you want to know more, here's a resource:

I kinda agree - dead bats not a good idea.

MindyW

Staff member
Nov 20, 2019

Hi Dan,

Thanks for pointing this out, we agree that this represents a sensitive conservation issue that we did not recognize, and we've removed the listing.

Best,

Mindy Weisberger
Senior Writer, Live Science

ASK THE COMMUNITY

Latest posts