Strata with 'pro life'?

Dear all,

This may sound foolish but, suppose in some space rocks [Meteorites / Asteroids]- protected from radiation was a 'pro - life layer?

It may be peripatetic i.e. not continuous, but when even fragments enter a situation that is favourable can combine with other molecules and help create life /beginnings of life?

I thought of this years ago maybe true or not.

I also think subduction is necessary for a continuation of life on a planet.

Very best wishes,

Marj.

I think it would be hard to discuss it. Our definitions are fluid. People in different fields paint their definitions. Not sure what pro-life would include. From what I have read, any object traveling thru space, without an EM field or atmosphere, is subject to intense particle and EM radiation. Both deadly to complex molecules. Even simple ones can suffer violent re-configurations.

The next asteroid we visit, we ought to place an apartment of various life forms(even insects) on it, and retrieve them in 50-100 yrs. It would be confined to our system, but would give us an idea of preservation of life molecules, in space.

Reactions: Marjorie Allworth
The asteroid idea is great!

Radiation would indeed be deadly, I did say deep down and protected from radiation.

Once the Martian magnetic field failed then the planets possibility to sustain any life form was negated.

Thank you Hayseed, x

Radiation would indeed be deadly, I did say deep down and protected from radiation.
Interestingly, radiation may also be responsible for the creation of certain biochemicals.
NASA (Lou Allamandola) have found signatures of biochemicals existing in deep space clouds. The best explanation is that the interaction of fundamental elements and radiation may be responsible for the creation and evolution of some biochemicals.

IMO, this is not a rare event. We know that carbon and oxygen were created during extreme dynamic conditions.
Carbon and oxygen were not created in the Big Bang, but rather much later in stars. All of the carbon and oxygen in all living things are made in the nuclear fusion reactors that we call stars. The early stars are massive and short-lived. They consume their hydrogen, helium and lithium and produce heavier elements. Feb 26, 2016

https://wmap.gsfc.nasa.gov/universe/uni_life.html#

If I may refer to Robert Hazen from Carnegie Institute for Science.

He has some excellent video lectures on Youtube in regard to the probability of life emerging from the evolution of basic chemical interactions, given enough space and time.

(start @ 12:00 to avoid a lengthy introduction)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlAQLgTwJ_A&t=720s

Last edited: