Spider Architect’s Intricate 'Silkhenge' Revealed in Stunning Video

Jan 16, 2020
Visit site
It's hard to reconcile the statement (and video) that scientists have witnessed hatchlings in the structures... with the statement " but the species of spider behind the structures has yet to be identified ".

Jan 19, 2020
Visit site
I remember reading about this a little while back so I don't have the source, but they can't identify the spider for a variety of reasons. They can't determine if this is a completely new spider or if they have discovered how an already known spider lays their eggs. It's hard to tell what species a spider is when it first hatches, but so far sadly all the hatchings they take back to the lab die before they become adults. They've tried checking if the DNA matches any other spiders and so far they have no been able to find a match. This could indicate this is a new spider but they need to see the adult form before coming to that conclusion.

While the science involved is intriguing, this story reminds me of E.B. White's marvelous childhood's classic: Charlotte's Web. We read this book in primary school and if you haven't read it, you'll never view spiders the same way again. It is very good.

E.B. White is a terrific author and my wife requested his daughter's E.B. White on Dogs by Martha White. She loved it.

Reactions: April
im very arachnaphobic & its bad enough whenever I see one or even more than one in the house so dont want to see it at all

Being arachnophobic is a terrible affliction.

Luckily, I am not and I recognize the good that indoor spiders do by catching harmful bugs and flies in their webs.

Two other insects who should be protected are the lady bug and the praying mantis. Both rid the house of insect pests. Stories abound of the mantis being attached to beds with an extremely fine gold chain to protect the sleeper from flying insects.