Spanish flu: The deadliest pandemic in history

Mar 15, 2020
Visit site
One of the saddest realities of the 1918-1919 Flu Pandemic was that young people with healthy immune systems were most affect. Their immune response generated a cascade of cytokine storm and that inflammation, in addition to any underlying lack of healthy food, nutrients, sunshine, is what killed them. If they had been megadosed with C and given D many would have survived. May their souls rest in peace.

Mar 18, 2020
Visit site
Except that’s not what killed them at all. What killed them were The bacterial infections that took over where the virus left off. A one two knockout punch.

Mar 18, 2020
Visit site
It was a cytokine storm, the cascade of inflammation, as documented and researched here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4711683/
See conclusions.

From my understanding, the effect of the cytokine storm was the massive effusion of fluid into alveoli, the consequence of which was secondary bacterial pneumonia progressing to organ failure.

Familiar name there in the author list, Good ol' Tony Fauci himself.

May 10, 2020
Visit site
Over 100 years ago, a killer strain of the influenza virus infected over a third of the world's population.

Spanish flu: The deadliest pandemic in history : Read more
My strongest hope is for concerned people here on this forum to read the article and then spread the word of the results and duration of this last pandemic through social media such as Facebook and Twitter. Like myself, I am quite sure there are so many out there who have little or no knowledge of the "Spanish Flu" pandemic of 1918-1919! The number of deaths and the duration of that pandemic was far greater than anyone expected and there had to be reasons for that duration.

The one fear that I have, as a 77 year old senior, is that people will get the idea that this will be "all over" within the next few weeks or months, and that may not be the case at all. If we open up the work places, restaurants, and most of the other closed environment areas of human congregation too early, this pandemic could re-establish itself again and then it's simply more of the same as we have endured for the past few months.

We probably have the technology and the advances to find a solution to this problem but it will take time, with the governmental and private enterprise "restraints" we have in place today, [think "clinical tests show" and " recent research has proven"] But we need to also make sure that the ENTIRE public, young and old, is advised and also convinced that the very BEST avenue to pursue is to allow enough time for technology to "work" before returning to "normal" again. Otherwise, we may face a second "flare-up" of this pandemic as people try to pick up their lives and start working again.

How many people do you come in contact with, on a daily basis, are "carriers" of Covid-19 and do NOT even realize that they are unknowingly infected and passing it along to those close to them? I have worn a mask since I was initially forced to go to places in which I had no control of other's medical situation. It wasn't because I was buying into any prestated pandemic control methods but it was simply common sense in my mind that I would protect myself from any unknown carriers of the Covid virus. In a perfect world, if we all decided to wear masks in public, we would be protecting ourselves against anyone else at all times AND protecting anyone who forgot their mask or otherwise didn't choose to wear one from accidently coming into contact with anyone else who didn't know that THEY were carrying the virus.

I will continue to follow my instincts until and unless I am convinced that all is safe and over with at least in my immediate area. That will be determined as time dictates and the frequency of occurrence diminishes to a tolerable level or is eradicated altogether.

May 29, 2020
Visit site
Not sure of the accuracy of the premise. The first plague that hit the world in the 1300s killed between 100-300M people, over 4 years. 45–50% of the European population died of the plague. Spanish Flu not even close to these numbers, let alone % of world population mortality. Authors need to update or revise.

Jul 23, 2020
Visit site
Hmmm. I've been poking around a bit looking for the answer to the obvious question (at least to me): What ENDED the Great Spanish Influenza Pandemic? Not a single article I've managed to locate and skim has answered that question definitively, in fact it isn't really brought up at all other than to note that it ended in or around a particular month/year.

It seems to have simply petered out over the course of 2-3 years and a number of 'waves.' Herd immunity? A combination of herd immunity and containment efforts (masking, antiseptic measures, social distancing)?

Given the breadth and severity of its spread, it seems unlikely that it would simply, in the unfortunate words of my president, "just disappear."

Jul 25, 2020
Visit site
Read your comments with interest. When you read studies, read each and every word before you.

Notice words such as: suggests, many, sometimes, and so forth.
The conclusion states,"... died from overwhelming viral pneumonia and serious complications caused by cytokine storm."

Suggests, "death from the complications that arose due to cytokine storms, in man" . . . . "how an enhanced broad immune response can sometimes worsen the outcome" of disease

The Spanish flu was brought to the USA from Soldiers returning home. I doubt the lack of Vitamin D, in that epidemic, because most folks with a little land back then needed to plant some edibles, and those on farms of even small sizes general had milk cows at least so they had milk and butter for their table, not to mention the sunshine when working outdoors for their garden, to wash clothes and hang them to dry, etc.

Vit. C may have been a little scarce in some areas, but not in many others. Let's not forget that Vit. C is found in foods other than Citrus fruits.

The Spanish flu epidemic lasted approx. 2-years before it ended, killing (if I recall) close to 500 million people worldwide. My uncle was one of them, the middle son between my Uncle other uncle and my own father.

And mustn't forget genetics has a lot to say about who gets infected, what it infects, and how bad it may be. We've this with COVID-19, but don't think a mild
case means the person is will do this well with another flu. Covid is the Novelest of the Novel viruses in the rapid manner it mutated and the way symptoms changed.
Was this the original Covid, or was it one of the hybrids with SARS, and what sort of combinations were created from this? This particular epidemic was difficult to keep up with, even for a retired Health Professional "hunkering down" and on the computer for a long shift posting pertinent finds online, or providing current information to Twitter, or Facebook; the only social media I could easily post to.

One thing to remember about Health studies. . . .the finding are all too often reversed in a few years. Consider them, look for the words that mean "maybe" and collect more data as you move on.

Aug 2, 2020
Visit site
Good article, thoroughly enjoyed reading through it. Some numbers and some information are missing or dumbed down a bit but I really liked it. Good sources and well organized 👍 Sidenote: Would highly recommend what's been my favourite book for over a year now. John M. Barry's 'The Great Influenza' is probably the best book I've ever read, and I'd highly recommend it :)