solution for coronavirus

Mar 29, 2020
Visit site
If no one could transmit the virus to anyone else the problem is solved, correct???

What do you think of the following solution to the Coronavirus (or any pandemic) problem:

1. To avoid transmission of the virus the Government should provide every person in this country with a protective suit (hazmat type) approved by the cdc to prevent the wearer from either giving or getting the virus (the disposable ones used in hospitals and labs plus gloves and masks together can be mass produced for less than $10, or perhaps design/develop an all inclusive suit that can be machine washable/reusable).

2. Law should be enacted (with criminal penalties) requiring all persons to wear the suit when they leave their homes for at least 3-4 weeks. This will allow people to resume a limited routine, working, shopping, without transmitting or receiving the virus. While out in public no one would be allowed to remove any protective equipment (mask, gloves, suit). That means that eating, drinking and using the restroom will only be allowed at home as well. This will be inconvenient and require planning (8 hour work shifts might have to be cut to 4 hours or give employees longer breaks to go back and forth from work to home and back). It is only temporary and will keep the virus out of the public domain.

3. Some would say that the problem with these suits is that one may be exposed if the protective suit is not removed properly (virus on the outside) however, my plan places everyone (not just health care workers) in a suit which reduces the likelihood that there will be any virus on the outside of the suit or protective equipment. Additionally, proper instruction and training for putting on, removing and sanitizing or disposing of the personal protective equipment would be provided by the government.

4. If anyone came down with the virus during the first 2 weeks while in the suit they could stay in their suits til they got to a treatment center or self quarantine at home.

5. After 3-4 weeks there should be no new cases of the virus.

6. The government could charge back the total cost with a $3 per week payroll tax split even between the employer (who benefits because his business didn't have to shut down) and the employee (who did not have to worry about getting sick). No need to panic, no stockpiling of food and supplies, no need to shut everything down. Even though no one likes the idea of imposing restrictions on our personal freedoms, the requirement of wearing a protective suit for a few weeks (kind of like a mandatory dress code) is far less restrictive than ordering a mandatory quarantine, and a whole lot better for the economy. Hospital and medical resources would not be overtaxed and lives will be saved by immediately shutting down the spread of this virus. If nothing else, it would buy enough time to develop an effective treatment/cure and vaccine.

Again, I don't know the logistics, and I can just imagine the argument that we don't have the ability to provide this amount of personal protective equipment (ppe). I assume that the logistics could be solved if leaders were sufficiently motivated to use all tools and authority necessary. Personally, I would put the military in charge of this effort and give them full authority to requisition any materials, production equipment, facilities or other resources necessary to get the job done immediately and let the government bean counters deal with compensation. We are currently doing piecemeal efforts conducted by city, state and local authorities, without a true comprehensive national plan, and settling for a solution that allows the virus to continue to escalate and ravage our country, eventually killing tens of thousands (or perhaps even millions) while we remain isolated at home. The cost of implementing this approach pales in comparison to the cost of the things we are currently spending money on (not to mention the fact that our economy is basically shut down).

Reactions: Abbass
If no one could transmit the virus to anyone else the problem is solved, correct???

I agree with your opening statement, but the proposed solution is both costly, time consuming and extreme.
A more expeditious solution is for everyone to use a facemask when travelling (except when in one's car and driving alone). This means travelling to work or even to obtain essentials (ie. groceries or medication).
The facemask could be removed when one arrives at the place of work as long as a 6 foot separation can be maintained between any two people in the office. If that 6 foot separation cannot be achieved then the mask should remain on one's face.
The main cause of transmission is water droplets from an infected person via a cough, sneeze, shout, talking or clearing one's throat. The infected person may have signs the coronavirus or might be asymptomatic (ie. not displaying any obvious signs but having a mild case of the virus).
As long as that person is wearing a mask, the water droplets (containing the virus) cannot be transmitted (unless the cough or sneeze is so powerful that it spews water droplets from the sides of the facemask. The ideal facemask would be able to withstand a vigorous cough or sneeze and be washable, so that it could be washed and used again.
CDC is already considering this viable solution.

Mar 29, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, while my solution may be a bit extreme, the idea is to completely avoid transmission while outside of ones own home. Giving people the option of removing ppe while out in public kind of defeats the purpose, additionally, not having gloves or protective outerwear allows for the transmission of the virus into ones home too.

Mar 29, 2020
Visit site
I agree that it would be time consuming initially and costly, but those are relative terms, what has been the cost in terms of time, money and lives of our current plan?

Whereas the main way of transmitting the virus is through respiratory droplets, my reply was meant to address that point.
Gloves are not needed is one practices good hygiene (ie. washing one's hands with soap for at least 20 seconds).
Apparently the virus does not live for long on clothing and hair. Since the virus cannot jump or fly then transmission from clothing requires contact by hand and then touching one's face. Perhaps a full-face visor is the answer to that issue.
Outdoor clothing should be removed when entering one's residence and washed in order to disinfect the garments.
Yes this is time consuming, but effective. And it is less onerous than wearing a full hazmat suit.

I agree that it would be time consuming initially and costly, but those are relative terms, what has been the cost in terms of time, money and lives of our current plan?
I have a feeling that being confined to a hazmat suit for long periods of time would not be readily accepted by large portions of any society, let alone that of the USA. Not being able to use a toilet would also stop most people from even thinking about the viability of the hazmat suggestion.

Mar 29, 2020
Visit site
not sure how long it lives on different surfaces, I heard that it depends on the surface type, surrounding temperature and humidity (if it drys out the virus becomes inactive???) but keeping it completely off the person seems like a good idea to me. After all, if that goal is accomplished for 3 weeks, the problem would go away (except for those who would be recovering)

Mar 29, 2020
Visit site
only confined while outside of home for 3-4 weeks and as far as using toilet or eating well just gotta do that at home too for a few weeks. Still a hell of a lot easier and better than what is happening now. A mandatory dress code for a couple of weeks is not so bad. At least you can still go to work, socialize etc. even if you have to take breaks to go home and take care of your needs.

Yes, keeping off the person is ideal but I still feel that most people will balk at you solution thereby making it impractical. Even quarantining large segments of the population would be more agreeable (than a hazmat solution) but impractical. There are many professions where a hazmat suit would be untenable. Since most smartphones require either a fingerprint or iris recognition and all require a finger touch to work, that would be no buy-in from those who are married to their phones.

Mar 29, 2020
Visit site
btw, I read where doctors believe that molecules of the virus may actually be airborne for a period of time beyond the direct transmission caused by coughing or sneezing.

A facemask would mitigate airborne droplets.
If molecules could survive for an extended periods of time either in the air, on surfaces or on clothing, then how would you get out of or into a hazmat suit without the risk of direct contamination or releasing the molecules into the air?

Mar 29, 2020
Visit site
check out paragraph 3 of my plan, remember, if you are in the ppe I recommend and I am in the ppe, what virus is going to be on the outside of anyone's ppe???

Mar 29, 2020
Visit site
If you have the virus and leave your home wearing the ppe, what is the likelihood that you will transmit it to anyone else (assuming you don't remove it in public)

check out paragraph 3 of my plan, remember, if you are in the ppe I recommend and I am in the ppe, what virus is going to be on the outside of anyone's ppe???
Your system would work if EVERYONE was wearing your suggested PPE. If anyone not wearing the PPE was in your immediate vicinity at any time then it would not work.
How do you think the idea would go over in impoverished countries where the citizens could not afford the PPE?
Your solution means cutting off all contact with such countries and their citizens.
This is yet another example of how impractical your idea is. The idea will work ONLY if universally accepted and it would be impossible to have full acceptance in the USA.
Can you imagine Trump accepting your idea. It would add a few strokes to his golf game and mess up his hair when climbing into the PPE or clambering out of it.

ONE FINAL THOUGHT.

What would happen if you were asymptomatic when you started wearing the PPE?
Your PPE would be infected and you would not even know it.
Every time you donned the suit you would still be infected and after the three week period, the suit would still be infected.
However, in that case you would not need the suit for personal protection.

Mar 29, 2020
Visit site
Of course you are right that this idea would only work if people did what was required. I think laws requiring it to be done and educating the public would get the vast majority to accept a little inconvenience for 3-4 weeks. As for the rest of the world, well we would have to close down all international travel back and forth til we get a real solution like a vaccine but we would still be able to travel within the USA and continue to work. What I propose would simply stop the spread of the disease and cool off the hotspots like New York, giving our health care professionals and hospitals a real breather until we have an effective treatment and eventually a vaccine.

Mar 29, 2020
Visit site
regarding your last comment, I would first suggest that the suit be disposable (they can be made for $3-5 each and you would only need 15-20 assuming you go to work 5 days a week for 3-4 weeks) and second, if you were sick but kept your ppe on when outside your home, you could not spread the virus and eventually, you would get better or be hospitalized. Either way the virus stays with you and only you.

Mar 22, 2020
Visit site
Some years ago I was stationed in the far east Although we had inoculations for various deceases
We were always advised to shower at the end of the day after being in contact with the local population
Maybe the message should be the same now today for anyone who has been out and returned home
A good wash down in the shower with soap seems to be as sensable than only washing your hands
Old habits die hard so thats what i am doing at this moment
Stay safe out there
Verse

Mar 26, 2020
Visit site

What do you think of the following solution to the Coronavirus (or any pandemic) problem:

1. To avoid transmission of the virus the Government should provide every person in this country with a protective suit (hazmat type) approved by the cdc to prevent the wearer from either giving or getting the virus (the disposable ones used in hospitals and labs plus gloves and masks together can be mass produced for less than $10, or perhaps design/develop an all inclusive suit that can be machine washable/reusable).

2. Law should be enacted (with criminal penalties) requiring all persons to wear the suit when they leave their homes for at least 3-4 weeks. This will allow people to resume a limited routine, working, shopping, without transmitting or receiving the virus. While out in public no one would be allowed to remove any protective equipment (mask, gloves, suit). That means that eating, drinking and using the restroom will only be allowed at home as well. This will be inconvenient and require planning (8 hour work shifts might have to be cut to 4 hours or give employees longer breaks to go back and forth from work to home and back). It is only temporary and will keep the virus out of the public domain.

3. Some would say that the problem with these suits is that one may be exposed if the protective suit is not removed properly (virus on the outside) however, my plan places everyone (not just health care workers) in a suit which reduces the likelihood that there will be any virus on the outside of the suit or protective equipment. Additionally, proper instruction and training for putting on, removing and sanitizing or disposing of the personal protective equipment would be provided by the government.

4. If anyone came down with the virus during the first 2 weeks while in the suit they could stay in their suits til they got to a treatment center or self quarantine at home.

5. After 3-4 weeks there should be no new cases of the virus.

6. The government could charge back the total cost with a $3 per week payroll tax split even between the employer (who benefits because his business didn't have to shut down) and the employee (who did not have to worry about getting sick). No need to panic, no stockpiling of food and supplies, no need to shut everything down. Even though no one likes the idea of imposing restrictions on our personal freedoms, the requirement of wearing a protective suit for a few weeks (kind of like a mandatory dress code) is far less restrictive than ordering a mandatory quarantine, and a whole lot better for the economy. Hospital and medical resources would not be overtaxed and lives will be saved by immediately shutting down the spread of this virus. If nothing else, it would buy enough time to develop an effective treatment/cure and vaccine.

Again, I don't know the logistics, and I can just imagine the argument that we don't have the ability to provide this amount of personal protective equipment (ppe). I assume that the logistics could be solved if leaders were sufficiently motivated to use all tools and authority necessary. Personally, I would put the military in charge of this effort and give them full authority to requisition any materials, production equipment, facilities or other resources necessary to get the job done immediately and let the government bean counters deal with compensation. We are currently doing piecemeal efforts conducted by city, state and local authorities, without a true comprehensive national plan, and settling for a solution that allows the virus to continue to escalate and ravage our country, eventually killing tens of thousands (or perhaps even millions) while we remain isolated at home. The cost of implementing this approach pales in comparison to the cost of the things we are currently spending money on (not to mention the fact that our economy is basically shut down).

I actually think it is a fairly practical solution. Quite likely to make a big impact on things. Which unfortunately is why I doubt it would be of any interest to the those who decide. The sad fact which is quite apparent to me at this stage even just of CV-19 if I had not already know this, is that avoiding these things becoming a problem is not the goal of all governments and especially refers to the USA and any of its ostensible allies. The actions being taken by most countries suggests another agenda at work. The quarantine times of 14 days for example is quite foolish when we were already told by the Chinese months ago it has been up to 29 days asymptomatic and some even no symptoms at all. The proof this is ineffective comes from the fact many more of the passengers of the Diamond Princess became sick and even died after having been tested, quarantined and retested before going home.

Why do they lowball the mortality rate so blatantly? Nobody seems to be noticing though The Lancet has reported this fact already, that the 14 days "MEAN: incubation period means the infected total from 14 days previous must be compared to today/s death number. In fact more accurate to my mind is to go to the most likely accurate total os recoveries and deaths and divide the total into the total mortalities. This uses the largest sample size and longest sample period. we cannot ever know the number of infected. Too many different testing regimes and too many variables make it hard to test with much certainty over maybe 80% anyway. The only numbers which matter are recoveries and deaths. ie: The resolved cases.

These two facts and others suggest the slow reaction in most cases in the West may be due to more than mere incompetence. Why not offer this idea to someone responsible and see if they do anything with it? It is too late this time but if/when there is another epidemic or pandemic it would be of great value if they would demonstrate the sort of attitude which would give this a try. It would be much cheaper for the state anyway. However, it would deprive big Pharma of the opportunity to profit handsomely through the vaccines. That is why it is a non-starter in my view. These people have enormous influence believe me.