Should she go back to work?

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
So my mother in Law has been asked to come into work (She works at a Nursery) which she was happy to do, but has now been told that 5 children who have returned from France over the weekend are being allowed to come back in to the Nursery straight away.
She currently lives with a 77 year old woman who suffers with Asthma & High blood pressure, which is the red light on the Covid-19 chart straight away.
Her boss is telling her to come in but I’ve said my bit about not returning to work as it could affect the safety of her mum.
What do you guys think? I’ve tried getting advice from the NHS but not reply.

Mar 16, 2020
Visit site
So my mother in Law has been asked to come into work (She works at a Nursery) which she was happy to do, but has now been told that 5 children who have returned from France over the weekend are being allowed to come back in to the Nursery straight away.
She currently lives with a 77 year old woman who suffers with Asthma & High blood pressure, which is the red light on the Covid-19 chart straight away.
Her boss is telling her to come in but I’ve said my bit about not returning to work as it could affect the safety of her mum.
What do you guys think? I’ve tried getting advice from the NHS but not reply.
You are right to br concerned. Although kids under 9 appear to be safe they can be carriers. tell them to stay away. I am 74 and have copd. My doc said keep isolated from my young grandkids. As much as 80% chance of dying if I get infected!

LCarlson

Administrator
Nov 12, 2019
Visit site
I would imagine that there are many people in similar positions, where one resident of a household is in a critical role and is required to work, while others they live with are part of an at risk group.

The only thing one CAN do is to appeal to the Human Resources representative of the business. If it is a small business, this may simply mean the person's manager or owner. Then a decision must be made.

There is no easy solution in some cases, unless emergency measures or guidelines have been put into place regarding workplaces; your best bet is to continue trying to contact the NHS (or possibly consult the NHS website), and also your local government offices.

Wishing you the best.