Shoebill: The human-sized African bird that eats baby crocodiles and kills its siblings

Mar 2, 2024
Visit site
These things are abundant in Uganda!! They were more than willing to be hand fed scraps of all sorts at a rugby match in the south of Kampala!! Maybe the published scarce number of ~5,000 represent a related species? I will post a photo of them below:

Mar 3, 2024
Visit site
Yeah, lots of humans are 5' tall. Particularly, a lot of inhabitants of the African continent. They're not all Watusi---average heights in Africa, as well as Central America and the middle east are less than those historically in the US. Our average height has been decreasing noticably for 20 years as immigration from those countries and Asia increases. The height common in Americans came from our mostly Germanic, Slavic and other Northern European ancestors. Shorter immigrants are lowering the averages. I used to be exactly average height. Now I'm 1" above it. I stopped growing many years ago.

Reactions: Ahzurael
Mar 4, 2024
Visit site
These exist in Michigan and while 5ft doesn't seem big, when seeing them in real life, they are probably one of the more terrifying creatures to come face to face with in the wild. Not because they prey on humans or anything like that, they're fairly docile in that regard. But because of their appearance.

Mar 4, 2024
Visit site
These things are abundant in Uganda!! They were more than willing to be hand fed scraps of all sorts at a rugby match in the south of Kampala!! Maybe the published scarce number of ~5,000 represent a related species? I will post a photo of them below:
Aye, these exist in Michigan in the United States too. Just on my way to the upper peninsula I will see several perched alongside the roadways. They pretty common up here. Even had one swoop down at my dog as my first encounter seeing one. Thought I was loosing my mind for a while, lol.

Mar 11, 2024
Visit site
These exist in Michigan and while 5ft doesn't seem big, when seeing them in real life, they are probably one of the more terrifying creatures to come face to face with in the wild. Not because they prey on humans or anything like that, they're fairly docile in that regard. But because of their appearance.
Hi, sorry, but are you saying shoebills are found in Michigan? We have great blue herons and sandhill cranes that are pretty big. I don't think we have any storks (I know it said shoebills aren't storks). Shoebills have always freaked me out a bit.

Mar 11, 2024
Visit site
I'm kind of glad these aren't in the US. I dont think I want to come face to face with them. The sounds they make, their eyes, bills, etc. I find a bit creepy. I dont think it helps that they can be as tall as me 😆

Jun 19, 2023
Visit site
It's an East African Bird. They don't live in Michigan. You are obviously confusing it with a Great Blue Heron.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024
Visit site
Sometimes I hate nature because it's so BRUTAL. That poor little chick.
Yep I agree ! nature can indeed be most unpleasant. We all (well, most of us) admire the beauty and majesty of things like a Tiger, a black Jaguar but are repulsed come dinner time. But things that eat their prey whole ? oh my god, just imagine on second thoughts no don't imagine it...