• Survival of the fittest is overrated. Join this week's AMA to find out why!

Scientists are recreating the smell of 16th-century Europe

Oct 11, 2020
I hope they don't forget the barrels of rotting offal behind the butcher's and fish monger's shop, the toxic chemical pits behind the tanneries or textile shops, the rotting fruit behind the green grocer and the smells from the blacksmiths, the printers and the hat makers who all used toxic chemicals that smelled foul in different ways both before and after use (not to mention the literal human waste products running through the gutters).

And the rich never went down into the streets, so perfumes were never in the air.

It was foul. They shouldn't be making it some quaint recreation of a more aroma filled and delightful environment when in fact it was a horror to the sense to be among the hoi polloi in those eras.

Mar 4, 2020
Have you ever used an outhouse? Or a long trench, used by many people. Been around barns and stables. How bout a pig pen? Animal processing plant? Leather tannery. Laundry done with urine and sour milk?

No thanks.

Oct 11, 2020
No thanks to your useless and pointless comment that merely reiterated what I am suggesting (which is that the scientists doing this study will do an incomplete job because their grasp of certain aspects of history is poor; yes, I have used all of those things and been around all those others because that IS why I mentioned all of those things myself).

You truly do resemble your screen name.
Thanks for adding absolutely nothing to the conversation!

Nov 22, 2020
Imagine being so self centered and egotistical (and hateful) that you think someones comment is a direct reply to yours and that someone can't possibly come up with a similar observation indepently of yours. Everyone knows that your opinion is the only one that matters.

ASK THE COMMUNITY