Pyramids of Giza and the Sphinx: Facts about the ancient Egyptian monuments

The "why" of the pyramids have never interested me. The "why" of today is perplexing enough. To me, the "how" was the only mystery. But not to these authors, they hardly mention it. How they were built has always been the question. And finally that question has been answered. Short ramps......counter weights.......and a spiral ramp inside the pyramid. To see the way it was done, watch "The Khufu Pyramid Revealed" on YouTube. This discovery is over 5 yr. old now. One would have thought that this would have been world wide breaking news. But not much interest. This solution ended all debate for me.

It was the only interesting thing about Egyptology in decades. And now, the mystery is gone.

Interesting fact. It has long been known that pyramids were built showing the use of Pi in the measurements used at that time.
For a long time researchers wondered if Egyptians knew Pi, until it was discovered that the builders used trundle wheels marked with cubits along its circumference.

As circular objects incorporate Pi, it was natural that Pi would show up in the measurements, but the builders probable had no clue about that.

Now that's interesting. And hard to believe. They used a wheel to measure length, but used rollers to move cargo. One would think if they were familiar with a trundle, they would use the wheel more productively. Perhaps they used pulleys with different size wheels, for mechanical advantage. I had thought that the pyramids were built before they had wheels and chariots. Are you sure that the use of the trundle has been verified? One would think the first use of pulleys, was different size rollers to wind rope. And a mechanical advantage was found. Pulleys could replace levers.

Pi, might have been found, by winding rope on a roller.

Are you sure that the use of the trundle has been verified
The historians came to this conclusion from the extraordinary precision of the measurements and if memory serves some measuring wheels (rollers) have been found.

A cubit is but an arm's length and a roller with a circumference of a cubit seems to be a natural measuring tool.

It is believed that the Egyptians made a trundle wheel carved out of rock with a diameter of exactly 1 cubit

I disagree with that math interpretation. Unless pi was determined right after the bent pyramid. I believe they understood triangles and perpendiculars to some degree. A least the symmetry of them. I think they started with one alignment as a reference. Like an east to west line on a certain day and a star rise on a certain evening. Whatever. That reference might have changed since then. But I think they started at the center with a perpendicular, X marks the spot. And they went from there. I'm talking about layout reference of course, not construction. They probably used water as a level reference at the base, as well as each stage of construction. Water for the horizontal and plum for the vertical. I am also of the firm belief that those masons, leaned to move those small blocks with relative ease. A few months of those blocks, and it would have become second nature. Watching a gang of them at work, would be a real eye opener for sure. But the super skill was those large stones, and the counter weights. And that slide that cradled it. That was genius. Along with that internal square spiral. And of course, dumping the ramp back into the pyramid. A great plan that came together. The other pyramids should be scanned too. If there is not similar patterns in those pyramids, it will start another puzzle.

Unless someone finds some un-known records, we can only guess the minutia. Anymore access will be very drawn out, with a non-destructive, or with a non-disturbance policy. They have never allowed access to the cellars of the Sphinx. Might be a library there, who knows?

Unless someone finds some unknown records, we can only guess the minutia. Anymore access will be very drawn out, with a non-destructive, or with a non-disturbance policy.

Nobody claims that the builders knew anything about the appearance of Pi that is present in all pyramids. The beauty is that Pi is a natural inherent mathematical property of circular objects.

The fact that all pyramids seem to have Pi in common suggests that they used a measuring method using a trundle wheel, an instrument that is still used today with great accuracy without any reference to Pi itself.

Can you think of a simpler more accurate measuring device than a simple wheel?
I am not disputing the possibility of using sleds for transporting lighter loads, but there is a question of how do you even lift one of those large blocks unto a sled unless you rolled it on the sled.
But then of course, if you can roll it you don't need a sled ....:unsure:

Evidence from the sand near Giza supports this idea. Researchers found small amounts of fat, as well as chunks of limestone and the remains of ramps. And ancient temples contain drawings that show people using sleds to move giant statues.
However, Joseph West thinks there might have been a simpler way. A physicist at Indiana State University in Terre Haute, he led the new study. West said he was inspired while watching a television program showing how sleds might have helped with pyramid construction.
He told Science News: “I thought, well gosh, ‘Why don’t they just try rolling the things?’”A square could be turned into a rough sort of wheel by attaching wooden rods to its sides, he realized. That, he notes, should make a block of stone “a lot easier to roll than a square.”

Another little tidbit associated with the building of pyramids.

The story suggests that the first recorded labor strike in history occurred during the building of the pyramids.

The reason for the labor strike? Garlic!

In those days the laborers received a daily ration of wheat for nourishment and garlic to ward off demons.

When wheat and garlic crops failed these rations were cut back and in response, the laborers went on strike unless their rations were restored.

The pharaoh's scribe duly recorded this event and it seems to confirm that most of the laborers employed in building the pyramids were skilled craftsmen and were paid for their skills.

"Can you think of a simpler more accurate measuring device than a simple wheel?"

For a pyramid, yes. Using the same marked rope, and the same weight at end for a straight line, the same distance on each of the four legs can be scaled. One could use twine and puck it, for the sound of equal lengths. Plumed equilateral triangles can be used to set the center square and the corners square too. A trundle would have to be very level for an accurate length. No up-down or back-forth permitted.

I don't see why they would need pi. Or a way to derive it from a pyramid. Four right angles, four equal corner angles and four equal top angles. Three different angles. Just lengths. No arcs. There are some other angles for function, but not structure. No arced chambers, walls or ceilings. I don't see any rotations or swings. I'm quite sure that a pyramid could be build with pi relationships, but I don't see mechanical or physical need or advantage for it. Which part of the pyramid...do you relate......to which part of a ratio? Or circle.

How exact were their cubits? 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 cubits? We don't know what their tolerances were, or their precision. The fit of the inside chambers is impressive, but such fits, do not require mathematical precision. Just a good mason. Just working matter and working with matter, can produce great precision. Sometimes a precision fit will fail, due to expansion and contraction, so a limited "slop" or loose fit will last much longer. It would be neat to peer inside all the pyramids, to see how this skill evolved.....in a mechanical engineering fashion.

But it's nice to know that alien spaceships or beings or spells and magic powers did not build the pyramids. Finally.

I don't see why they would need pi. Or a way to derive it from a pyramid. Four right angles, four equal corner angles and four equal top angles. Three different angles. Just lengths. No arcs. There are some other angles for function, but not structure. No arced chambers, walls or ceilings. I don't see any rotations or swings. I'm quite sure that a pyramid could be build with pi relationships, but I don't see mechanical or physical need or advantage for it. Which part of the pyramid...do you relate......to which part of a ratio? Or circle.
I'm sorry for my lack of clarity. I never tried to advance the idea that Egyptians knew anything at all about Pi. All that was necessary is that they knew how to make measurements using a trundle wheel.

The recognition of Pi came much later when modern scientists analyzed the measurements of pyramids and discovered the close relationship of those ancient measurements with Pi.

It is that fact that suggested the use of a circular (trundle wheel) measuring device, not because of Pi, but because of its ease of use and accuracy of making a continual measurement with a wheel.

As this is about the limit of my understanding of Egyptology, I am certainly open to a more reasonable interpretation.

I completely agree that the cubit itself is but an approximation, although I am sure there must have been some standard length that was employed and not just a anybody's arm length from elbow to outstretched middle finger.

Egyptians had some very advanced architecture. Some of their structures have lasted several thousands of years. Something that cannot be said of many things in today's built-in obsolescence.

Last edited: