Pronunciation of Betelgeuse

Nov 27, 2019
Visit site
Bate Tull geese or beetle juice
Either way is proper .
That's what my dad told me when he first introduced me to the star. He used to "shoot" it with a sextant when he was in the Navy.
Thank you. I like “bay tel geese.” That will keep me from getting stuck on the word when I’m reading interesting context. Now if only I could teach my iPhone dictation the correct spelling. Some of the dictation’s products are hilarious. And cool your dad watching Betelgeuse with a sextant!

Reactions: Peter Larsen
Jan 1, 2020
Visit site
as a resident of the UK i pronounce it beetlejoose. If american i guess it depends on what state in the US you are from because of the difference in american accent. for exmple my american friend is from kentucky & her accent is very drawly -drawn out therefore pronouncing it Bate Tull geese -thats the way she would pronounce it -.its the sort of accent that british people would call a cowboy accent (yeeeehaaaaahhh!!) in stereotype-thats what i mean by drawl american accent NOT me taking the mickey out of the nicest americans on this site

Nov 27, 2019
Visit site
as a resident of the UK i pronounce it beetlejoose. If american i guess it depends on what state in the US you are from because of the difference in american accent. for exmple my american friend is from kentucky & her accent is very drawly -drawn out therefore pronouncing it Bate Tull geese -thats the way she would pronounce it -.its the sort of accent that british people would call a cowboy accent (yeeeehaaaaahhh!!) in stereotype-thats what i mean by drawl american accent NOT me taking the mickey out of the nicest americans on this site
Thank you Sarajo. I love Great Britain. I have a lot of Britain in my American genes.

Jan 1, 2020
Visit site
Oh thats very nice- in what way -do you have family over here then. . A lot of spelling of the english language are different between UK & US.

for example - U.S ( CENTER)....... UK (CENTRE)

given we pronounce it the way americans spell it - then you as a american & citizen & a representative of America - spell it correctly - the UK actually spell it wrong. The same for US (THEATER).. ..... UK (THEATRE)

spellings like neighbour/neighbor, color/colour are neutral the spellings are neither correct or incorrect - its how each country chooses how to spell it favourite/favorite is another example