'Profound' smell loss is a common COVID-19 symptom, study confirms

Jan 4, 2020
Visit site
Intriguing symptoms, and very well worth screening for. Do we know what mechanism(s) of the virus might cause such an unusual loss of senses? Just wondering if such knowledge could open additional pathways to quick diagnosis and treatment.

Apr 16, 2020
Visit site
I wonder if the crazy severe headache interferes with sensory centers in the brain? Since I had no idea I was having the COVID 19, and was demanded back at work after only 2 days off (4 total in bed) when I lost my sense of smell I thought my age was contributory, since I get a lot of age discrimination at work. After 2 months I'm able to smell Easter lilies but not to discriminate subtle food flavors. People suffering the virus need to have their confidence built up to overcome it ; knowing this is typical will help regain strength for healing. It can do a number on us psychologically as it makes one feel very weak very quickly - like loosing balance - and can literally knock you off your feet.

Jan 4, 2020
Visit site
I wonder if the crazy severe headache interferes with sensory centers in the brain? Since I had no idea I was having the COVID 19, and was demanded back at work after only 2 days off (4 total in bed) when I lost my sense of smell I thought my age was contributory, since I get a lot of age discrimination at work. After 2 months I'm able to smell Easter lilies but not to discriminate subtle food flavors. People suffering the virus need to have their confidence built up to overcome it ; knowing this is typical will help regain strength for healing. It can do a number on us psychologically as it makes one feel very weak very quickly - like loosing balance - and can literally knock you off your feet.

A couple of days ago I turned suddenly and lost my balance, triggering an ankle break and subsequent metatarsal fracture in my foot. My insurance "allowed" me to go to Urgent Care, where they vetted my coverage before allowing me to be seen by a provider. I'm now immobilized and struggling to stand to cook or even get to the bathroom. Of course our brain function is being affected! Our bodies function as a system, and an insult to one part will resonate to all the other parts. I detest our health care NON-system, which basically forces an individual to PROVE an injury or illness, even if the person has "insurance," and throws the uninsured under the bus. If any good comes of this plague, let it be basic health/injury care for all, insurance companies be danged.

Apr 16, 2020
Visit site
I'm in Canada where I have been paying a premium and supposedly have additional coverage through employment but in fact can not access medical care; apparently there are not enough doctors and very difficult to see one who speaks English. When I was so sick I couldn't talk for 5 days but went to work and was soon sent home home on the 5th day. I waited 8 weeks for a doctor appointment and was told the first week of February not to go to ER with the flu. The health authority simply avoids testing here so many positives for COVID 19 have gone unreported.