Poll: Have you cancelled trips abroad?

Poll: Have you cancelled trips abroad?

• Total voters
Mar 13, 2020
Visit site
Trip to China first was canceled. Then one to Uganda, due to fact of being quarantined for 2weeks when get there. That would be the length of the stay to begin with.
Cancelled trip to Philippians which would have come directly after Uganda, due to Manila shitting off incoming flight.

Mar 13, 2020
Visit site
We just cancelled a trip to Cartagena Colombia. I am retired but my wife still works as a school teacher and she was afraid of getting stuck in quarantine on return.

We till have a trip to Israel for the end of the year booked. I am hoping that this will have died down so we can travel.

SHaines

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 12, 2019
Visit site
I have non-refundable tickets to SF for next month (not abroad, but still). I'd love to be able to either cancel or shift the timing back a few months, but no option to do that just yet. We'll see what happens.

Mar 13, 2020
Visit site
I have non-refundable tickets to SF for next month (not abroad, but still). I'd love to be able to either cancel or shift the timing back a few months, but no option to do that just yet. We'll see what happens.

What airline and when did you buy your ticket?

All the major carriers are allowing free changes and a form of free cancellation if you want.

SHaines

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 12, 2019
Visit site
What airline and when did you buy your ticket?

All the major carriers are allowing free changes and a form of free cancellation if you want.
Alaska. They were offering those changes for ticket bought recently (Feb 27th on, I think). I was planning this out for a long time, so I ended up jumping on really good pricing for my ticket back in December. I suspect things might have changed since I last spoke with them, so I am going to reach out again.

Mar 13, 2020
Visit site
Alaska. They were offering those changes for ticket bought recently (Feb 27th on, I think). I was planning this out for a long time, so I ended up jumping on really good pricing for my ticket back in December. I suspect things might have changed since I last spoke with them, so I am going to reach out again.

As with everything else with this Coronavirus frenzy, everyone's response is fluid. That would be a very wise thing to do as I suspect Alaskan's position on this has evolved.

LCarlson

Administrator
Nov 12, 2019
Visit site
My family is visiting from Canada. They went to Disneyland here in CA on Wednesday, the day before the park announced closure due to precautions regarding coronavirus. They are now concerned that they may end up quarantined here, but we're making the best of it.
No sense worrying about what has not happened yet, and we're well set to weather whatever happens for the short term, at least.
Worry and fear - the least productive actions to take right now.

SHaines

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 12, 2019
Visit site
As with everything else with this Coronavirus frenzy, everyone's response is fluid. That would be a very wise thing to do as I suspect Alaskan's position on this has evolved.

Yeah, it looks like I'll be safe to push the flight later in the year. They've updated their policy to include tickets bought before February, but support is so slammed they are asking that only people flying out in the next 72 hours contact them. I'm cool to wait a couple weeks and see where things stand.

Mar 13, 2020
Visit site
When I canceled our UA flights, I was on hold for close to 90 minutes, I am active on a frequent flyer discussion board (flyertalk.com) and they are reporting wait times of multiple hours for many carriers now.

Hopefully Alaska has the call back feature (like American does). You can register for a call back and not lose your place in the queue.