Physicists: Ancient life might have escaped Earth and journeyed to alien stars

Jan 16, 2020
Visit site
If this transfer of Earthborn life to a comet could happen, then it would seem to be as likely that the reverse could be true. A comet grazing our atmosphere could deposit life from another world.

Feb 2, 2020
Visit site
It's not really a new theory, it's basically Fred Hoyle's Panspermia theory from the 1970s.
One interesting thought that would explain why we have never detected alien life would be that it originated on Earth. Perhaps very unlikely, but possible.

Feb 2, 2020
Visit site
my problem with this article is that i dont fill that enough time could have passed for a comet to arrive at another system and live evolve maybe in the future but not yet. i mean how fast would a comet have to be going to get to the nearest star anyway. plus it has to get thrown out of the system first not that it couldnt happen but. more likely it happened here than us someplace else.

dan

Feb 3, 2020
Visit site
my problem with this article is that i dont fill that enough time could have passed for a comet to arrive at another system and live evolve maybe in the future but not yet. i mean how fast would a comet have to be going to get to the nearest star anyway. plus it has to get thrown out of the system first not that it couldnt happen but. more likely it happened here than us someplace else.
Spell check please" survey says,

Apr 17, 2020
Visit site
In reply to "I mean how fast would a comet have to be going to get to the nearest star anyway?"

Comet speeds
There are relatively big varieties, but most of them is between 10 and 70 km/s. If a comet is a periodic comet, that means it needs to have an elliptic orbit around the Sun. That gives an upper limit to its speed of the escape speed from the solar system on the orbit of the Earth. That is around 40 km/s.

This is taking the fastest speed beyond which the comet would leave the Solar System.
Being near the Sun the comet would be travelling near its fastest.

At this speed I make it 4.367 / 0.133 years approx. 32.8 years to get to alpha Centauri.

I suspect my math might need rechecking, but Ihave taken fastest speeds throughout the calculation so it would be erring on the top side giving the shortest journey time.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020
Visit site
I like the theory, to me personally I believe that this is how we got here as in Life in general on this planet, it seems the most logical to me since we know that we have come from microorganisms, which we also know that the microorganisms came from space. I also believe that life cannot be just subjected to earth or earth like planets, I mean like look in our oceans for example, at the bottom of the sea it was thaught by us that nothing could live there for many reasons. For example the temperature is too cold, there is a lack of energy from the sun to even sustain life as we know it even know we know it is not true. There is a tremendous amount of pressure that deep that we would just be crushed like something heavy had landed on you, so in my opinion ( and it is only an opinion) I believe that there will be guaranteed intelligent beings all over the universe. I truly think that nearly every planet out there has potential to harbor some kind of life form at the very least. Surely there will be someone who thinks similarly to me? Would like to know what people think on this matter.

Nov 17, 2020
Visit site
If this transfer of Earthborn life to a comet could happen, then it would seem to be as likely that the reverse could be true. A comet grazing our atmosphere could deposit life from another world.
Yes I will agree it seems perfectly logical that what you are saying is true because at the end of the day you can't have your Ying without the Yang, the good without the evil so to speak. If something like a comet can deposit life that has been trapped inside in the form of bacteria and other microorganisms from our planet it can do it to our planet well, look back to what happened in Russia ( if I remember correctly) back around 2012 -2014 that meteor that hit just imagine all the surviving microbe's that are essentially alien/exterterestrial that are now stuck forever on this planet, this is the reason as to why for many years I have thought about this very theory and to me it seems logical that this is how we ended up on earth and in that case all life on this planet.

Nov 17, 2020
Visit site
It's not really a new theory, it's basically Fred Hoyle's Panspermia theory from the 1970s.
One interesting thought that would explain why we have never detected alien life would be that it originated on Earth. Perhaps very unlikely, but possible.
Very possible but I think its very doubtful that alien life forms came From earth, I think maybe more like a collection of life in the form of bacteria and microorganisms from a collection of planets is more probable, but you are right it is interesting nonetheless wether you are a believer or not, you gotta admit that sometimes reading articles like these get you thinking and coming up with your own theories.

Nov 17, 2020
Visit site
I would like to know why you think that? Not saying your wrong in all possibility you could have it right, but what is your reason as to why you think that we are more likely to be purely terrestrial to earth and not any other planet? like I know this article is about our planet earth and our bacteria leaving I get that but in my opinion and belief Id say that we came from elsewhere, I believe we come from a collection of solar systems colleted in one object that just so happens to strike earth almost destroying our planet and then came the many millions of years of evolution,then we are here.

Nov 17, 2020
Visit site
I would like to know why you think that? Not saying your wrong in all possibility you could have it right, but what is your reason as to why you think that we are more likely to be purely terrestrial to earth and not any other planet? like I know this article is about our planet earth and our bacteria leaving I get that but in my opinion and belief Id say that we came from elsewhere, I believe we come from a collection of solar systems colleted in one object that just so happens to strike earth almost destroying our planet and then came the many millions of years of evolution,then we are here.
Oh yes forgot to mention that you are not wrong your right to doubt the article since it states only tens of thousands of years, but it could be true after all this planet is over 4 billion years old. This is why I think that the earth itself is alot older than we think. Earth is itself a living thing, everything is made up of energy so life is everywhere. And while I'm intrigued what's your opinion on other interstellar matters. For example what is your opinion on time?

Well if you reduce God to what believers agree on then you have life coming to Earth as a result of God. Once the human race leaves Earth for a new planet or planets around new stars, we have performed the God function and God is proven.

Not sure why this concept explodes so many peoples brains
How? Can a species that is naturally selected not try to establish what it belives is a path to genetic immortality? Then apply this to worlds hummanity colonizes, life came to them as a result of a species attempting to explore and strengthen itself. Is humanity becoming a god? Did a God create life on Earth because it would be beneficial to himself? In many current Western religions it is BECAUSE THAT GOD IS F***ING BORED and for some reason needs to achive a validation by dooming a species then telling them that the only way to overcome thier fear of an unknown is to bow down and worship them.

What if I call it the "Natural Selection Function" because it proves that a species is willing to go to great lengths to preserve themselves?

Last edited: