Ozone hole three times the of Greenland opens over the North Pole

Feb 24, 2020
Visit site
Arctic temps have been closer to normal over the winter, with the jet stream looking pretty healthy. Polarstern recorded some -100 f temps with wind chill. One problem goes away, another pops up.

Apr 11, 2020
Visit site
Correcting typo - replace ozone w/ UV:
Seems like a good opportunity to study UV's effect on
newly uncovered umtpeen-century-old microbes .

These very temporary seasonal 'holes' in the wind-driven ultacold polar vorticies are rapidly repaired and no net losses of ozone take place. The areal size has nothing to do with CFCs as they shrink and expand independently. The depletion is unrelated to the global ozone layer where the highest amounts are at the high latitudes and the lowest at the Equator.

Apr 11, 2020
Visit site
6 month ago the hole was the smallest every. Now it's the largest. Someone needs to make up there mind. Or is it the same bullshit scientific information dreampt up by some moron environmentalist. Su ray don't pass through the North pole to the planet. Typical moronic environmentalist misconception .

Jan 22, 2020
Visit site
The Arctic Ozone Hole is proof positive that CFC's and other ozone depleting chemicals were pure snake oil and none of those chemicals had any affect on ozone. It was just a con job like AGW and COVID-19.

I hear and read that many life forms use UV for sensing and detection. That means that UV radiation is common thru-out the ages. Doesn't the research say that dark skin developed to protect from UV radiation? I certainly would not assume ozone holes are new.

The present puzzles are far more stimulating and meaningful than the fear of the future.

We know everybody's future.

Apr 12, 2020
Visit site
I hear and read that many life forms use UV for sensing and detection. That means that UV radiation is common thru-out the ages. Doesn't the research say that dark skin developed to protect from UV radiation? I certainly would not assume ozone holes are new.

The present puzzles are far more stimulating and meaningful than the fear of the future.

We know everybody's future.

The ozone layer primarily provides protection against UVC, which is inimical to ALL life. We are perfectly able to tolerate limited UVA + UVB and in fact we do need it, UVC on the other hand, if not stopped by ozone would destroy pretty much all life on earth.

Ionizing radiation is a common occurrence to all life forms. We exist in a background bath of it. Some live in higher levels than others. Some cultures live with high arsenic in their drinking water, generation after generation. The seniors have black teeth. Seniors.

Apr 12, 2020
Visit site
Chemicals emited from active volcanoes has a mayor effect on the ozone layer than man made pollutants and chemicals.
Let Mother nature do her job with the Earth and don't blame man's progress.
It's her own way of cleaning herself. Volcanoes have always existed.

Apr 12, 2020
Visit site
Ionizing radiation is a common occurrence to all life forms. We exist in a background bath of it. Some live in higher levels than others. Some cultures live with high arsenic in their drinking water, generation after generation. The seniors have black teeth. Seniors.
You seem to be confused. Let us keep to the topic shall we? The Ozone layer protects us from UVC. Without it, we and pretty much all life on earth would cease to exist. It is not difficult to understand.

Where is the sterile dead spot underneath the hole? Has there ever been a recorded life form death from a ozone hole?

Remember all the thousand year dead zone warnings in Europe from the reactor failure? High gamma and lots of different radiation. The bacteria, the nematodes, the insects, the plants and the animals continue to this day. None were wiped out.

This surprised modern science.

"Arlin Krueger, Mark Schoerbel, Paul Newman and Richard Stolarski of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland, suggest that 'the maximum area of the hole is currently limited by factors such as the area of the cold air pool within the polar vortex, rather than by the availability of chlorine in the stratosphere' (Geophysical Research Letters, vol 19, p 1215)." 1992!

Apr 12, 2020
Visit site
Where is the sterile dead spot underneath the hole? Has there ever been a recorded life form death from a ozone hole?

Remember all the thousand year dead zone warnings in Europe from the reactor failure? High gamma and lots of different radiation. The bacteria, the nematodes, the insects, the plants and the animals continue to this day. None were wiped out.

This surprised modern science.
I have absolutely no idea what you are saying, but then clearly, neither do you. I would try and explain further to you, but that would be like trying to teach my do Norwegian.

Apr 16, 2020
Visit site
Arctic temps have been closer to normal over the winter, with the jet stream looking pretty healthy. Polarstern recorded some -100 f temps with wind chill. One problem goes away, another pops up.
Because they aren't problems. They are the normal cycles for the planet that have been going on for millions of years longer than recorded history or even man's presence on the planet in any meaningful way. We can't grasp that so we cling to the fraction of information we have and make wild assumptions about what's coming next. For example, climate change alarmists going back to the 70's have been wrong nearly 100% of the time. It's the only science where the credibility stands upon the fact that the predictions are never correct and frequently not even close.

Also the only science that is argued on the basis of a "consensus". If it's based on a consensus its not science and if it's science a consensus is irrelevant and wouldn't be mentioned.

Reactions: Broadlands
The jet streams are part of natural variability, the ENSO, the NAO, volcanic activity, earthquakes. They are each unpredictable and not subject to adjustment and change by adding or subtracting CO2 added by humans.

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
The jet streams are part of natural variability, the ENSO, the NAO, volcanic activity, earthquakes. They are each unpredictable and not subject to adjustment and change by adding or subtracting CO2 added by humans.
Is there any relation to the aurora lights, which are also kind of seasonal?

Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
I don't think that sunscreen will help. The ozone layer will deplete more and more. Why? Because the sun will shine in his strength. It will get stronger and its rays will produce tremendous heat and men will be scorched. Just like in the 1990's, those hundreds of people that died in Chicago, and recent heat waves in India in the last two years, multiply that exponentially. And this is not religious or inappropriate content. So please do not write me that it is. It is sure to happen. And people need to be forewarned. 117 people died in Chicago that summer.

I don't think that sunscreen will help. The ozone layer will deplete more and more. Why? Because the sun will shine in his strength. It will get stronger and its rays will produce tremendous heat and men will be scorched. Just like in the 1990's, those hundreds of people that died in Chicago, and recent heat waves in India in the last two years, multiply that exponentially. And this is not religious or inappropriate content. So please do not write me that it is. It is sure to happen. And people need to be forewarned. 117 people died in Chicago that summer.
You seem to be confusing infrared heat with UV radiation. The total column ozone layer today is not substantially different than it was in the late 1950s and 60s...about 300 Dobson units. Those once a year ultracold polar ozone "hole" depletions are very temporary with no net losses. Temperatures in Chicago were higher back in 1921.