Older people don't take more precautions against coronavirus

May 4, 2020
Visit site
The only preventive measures that matter to us elderly are vaccines and cures, neither of which we have now, so we are just enjoying what little time we have left.

Jul 7, 2020
Visit site
I have not seen any research showing that age alone is a predictor of susceptibility or severity of Covid19. Many older people have underlying conditions, which do have an impact. Some have compromised immune systems (immunosenescence) but not all do. And many of the severest cases come from nursing homes; the issue isn't age but the tight living conditions, poor hygiene practices, and lack of adequate staff and medical support.

There's no reason for "older adults" to take precautions unless they have underlying conditions or weakened immune systems due to lifestyle factors. It's cruel to suggest that these older adults avoid physical activity that will actually strengthen their immune systems, not to mention their quality of life.

I wrote an article about this: http://mycopy.info/agemed

Apr 22, 2020
Visit site
Older folks are close to the Greatest Generation. We went through the depression and WWII, the Korean War and the Vietnam War. This virus is a mosquito bite compared to these really big issues. People die of the normal flu every year. What is not honestly reported is the denominator: We get measured cases, but we do not have the total number of cases. In reality the virus got here early and has spread all around the country. The horse left the barn before the door was closed. Most important, look how docile and spineless are out young people who cower in the corner, afraid of the coronavirus. How easy have they given up their hard earned liberties and civil rights. These docile people become the victims of demagogues and authoritarians.

Jan 4, 2020
Visit site
At 73, I take this virus very seriously. (And BTW in my 55+ senior complex, everyone is masked up or face shielded and quite respectful of the social distancing mandate.) I personally celebrate these precautions, not because my life has been so great that I want to live forever, but because I have offspring who need a fair shake at life in a reasonably safe and disease-free environment. This monstrous disease must be eradicated and I believe we have an appropriate behavioral response at the ready, which would grind this plague to a halt.

Granted, I have seen some senior individuals (usually of an advanced age and/or non-English-speaking ethnicity) who don't "get" the need to mask up (and when they are wheelchair-bound, they have no choice about how close they get to others). But where I live, in a high-risk state and county, most seniors are wearing masks and giving one another wide berth to ensure social distancing (the younger people don't). I haven't hugged or kissed my own son in months, because we live in separate households. I don't know about my neighbors, but I wash my hands after every time I open a door or use a tissue for my nose. It would be helpful for me to know where these irresponsible and clueless seniors live so that I don't accidentally go there.

Reactions: Nytowl223
Jan 4, 2020
Visit site
The age groups most likely to face severe illness and death from COVID-19 aren't more willing to take preventive measures against coronavirus, an international study finds.

Older people don't take more precautions against coronavirus : Read more

International, eh? Well, they sure didn't survey me or the other seniors in my 55+ community in Los Angeles, California. We are meticulous about following all the health guidelines. It's the kids we have to encounter on the street or in the grocery store who are flouting the laws and violating the medical restrictions. Today I had occasion to drive through Burbank and (while wearing my mask in the car) I saw a 40-something couple walking the sidewalk with no masks in place or readily available. Generalized aspersions against "older people" (international, none-the-less) aren't going to make you very popular with us Baby Boomers, who still are legion.

Reactions: Nytowl223
Apr 22, 2020
Visit site
Wanda is an excellent example of the fear and anxiety that has been engendered by an out of controlled, biased, and lying press. In California it is likely that we have all been exposed to the virus. There were 5000 people per day coming to California from China from October 2019 to Mid-March 2020 when the quarantine was imposed by authoritarian fiat. The virus has already spread throughout the state. Gov Newsom closed the door of the barn after the horse had already escaped. As they test more people, they find more and more people with the antibody. The lying press calls that "new infection." No small wonder -- the virus has been in California for more than 6 months already. Yet the Corona virus has had an impact similar to the yearly flu. Each year thousands of people die from the normal ordinary flu. Actually, the flu does not kill you, it is the underlying fragile medical condition that kills you. But the death is blamed on the flu. Thus, the Corona virus is here and all present. Your wearing your little mask is so useless as to be unfortunate and an indicator of your fear, panic and anxiety. This state of mind makes you vulnerable to demagogues, such as those who are benefiting from this shutdown. If we wanted to get political, there is only one political party that is benefiting from this terrible forced economic recession. However, there are still people in the older generation who are part of the Great Generation, and these people see a scam, so they are paying no attention to the scare and fear factors. Americans fought a Revolutionary War in order to create Civil Liberties and Freedom. Many of us are not about to give up our Civil Liberties based on a scam and politically motivated fear factor.

Feb 22, 2020
Visit site
Older folks are close to the Greatest Generation. We went through the depression and WWII, the Korean War and the Vietnam War. This virus is a mosquito bite compared to these really big issues. People die of the normal flu every year. What is not honestly reported is the denominator: We get measured cases, but we do not have the total number of cases. In reality the virus got here early and has spread all around the country. The horse left the barn before the door was closed. Most important, look how docile and spineless are out young people who cower in the corner, afraid of the coronavirus. How easy have they given up their hard earned liberties and civil rights. These docile people become the victims of demagogues and authoritarians.
First I must point out that people don't die of the flu ("regular" or otherwise) in numbers over 160K in 4 months on a regular basis, especially in the summer heat! And you have the guts to complain about younger people taking precautions to not kill your generation?

I also noted that you use the phrase "regular flu," above. Covid-19 is not the flu. It is a virus that isn't even related to any influenza virus. It is a coronavirus, one brand new to our species. That is why it is hitting people so hard, because we have no built-in immunity to it. And your exposure to any war or hardship of the past does not make you any more immune to it than anyone else.

As for authoritarianism, how, precisely, does someone choosing to wear a mask to help stop the spread of a deadly virus mean they are kowtowing to authoritarianism rather than following science? Such an outrageous statement is beyond even FOX "news" absurdity! Did you get that one from Blaze or Breitbart?

Feb 22, 2020
Visit site
Wanda is an excellent example of the fear and anxiety that has been engendered by an out of controlled, biased, and lying press. In California it is likely that we have all been exposed to the virus. There were 5000 people per day coming to California from China from October 2019 to Mid-March 2020 when the quarantine was imposed by authoritarian fiat. The virus has already spread throughout the state. Gov Newsom closed the door of the barn after the horse had already escaped. As they test more people, they find more and more people with the antibody. The lying press calls that "new infection." No small wonder -- the virus has been in California for more than 6 months already. Yet the Corona virus has had an impact similar to the yearly flu. Each year thousands of people die from the normal ordinary flu. Actually, the flu does not kill you, it is the underlying fragile medical condition that kills you. But the death is blamed on the flu. Thus, the Corona virus is here and all present. Your wearing your little mask is so useless as to be unfortunate and an indicator of your fear, panic and anxiety. This state of mind makes you vulnerable to demagogues, such as those who are benefiting from this shutdown. If we wanted to get political, there is only one political party that is benefiting from this terrible forced economic recession. However, there are still people in the older generation who are part of the Great Generation, and these people see a scam, so they are paying no attention to the scare and fear factors. Americans fought a Revolutionary War in order to create Civil Liberties and Freedom. Many of us are not about to give up our Civil Liberties based on a scam and politically motivated fear factor.

You are unbelievably wrong about this entire thing. No, not everyone has been exposed to Covid-19, anywhere. Otherwise, we would not still be having record hospitalizations and deaths from it every other day, in states from California to Florida, and so many places in between. And your political nonsense is precisely the reason why we can't stop the spread of it!

This is a disease. One can't fight a disease with far-right talking points. One fights a disease with science and medical facts. Not only that, this is not the yearly flu, or ANY influenza virus. This is a brand new coronavirus, not like any other coronavirus our species has ever dealt with. That means we have zero natural immunity to it. That is science, and facts, not politics.

Stating that wearing a mask is useless is not only wrong, it's a dangerous lie! Wearing a mask is proven to reduce the level at which the virus is spread to others, and to reduce the level at which you are exposed to the virus. This is fact. This is science. This is not political talking points. Masks work. If masks didn't stop germs, surgeons wouldn't wear them when they operate on people, after all. It is simple, easily understood, science. Just because your cult leader doesn't get it doesn't mean it's not factual.

Frankly, I think someone should report you for such dangerous lies. And since you're the one regurgitating the same dangerous lies as your cult leader, you seem to be the one buckling under to authoritarianism, rather than those of us that understand science.

You seem so willing to lay down and die from a disease, because you can't be bothered to wear a simple little mask. Even the young men and women marching for justice nearly every day, peacefullly protesting the social inequities that need changed, are nearly ALL wearing masks to keep not only themselves and their fellow protesters safe, but to keep others safe, too.

Yet, you can't be bothered to care about anyone or anything that your preferred "news" source has chosen, purely politically, to spin lies and half-truths about, non-stop. Nor have you thought to seek out other sources, as you have been convinced that only one, above all others, should be believed. Well, aside from this site, where, instead of choosing to learn anything, you have instead chosen to spread your cult leader's lies. Talk about being brainwashed!

Apr 22, 2020
Visit site
Funny thing, your rhetoric is just like CNN, NBC, PBS, etc. You ought to join them because you can really fling that hyperbole, fright and fear. Gosh, you nearly had me shivering in my boots. Your life must be miserable right now. I feel really sorry for you.

The reporting of deaths from this virus is greatly distorted. The two studies from Stanford and USC show that the virus was here long before the shutdown, and it was spreading throughout the population. Given your great fear, it must be that you are over 65, have a heart condition, a lung condition, or other diminution in your ability to fight any disease. So I feel sorry for you and hope that you recover soon.

Meanwhile, for the younger and healthier population, the rate of death is quite low. Everyday we face danger. The best example I give is driving to work or even to visit friends. How many of you drive over the speed limit? Those who go to work, how many take risks, such as construction, coal mining, etc. This is not a riskless world, particularly when it comes to earning a living.

The "deaths" are over-reported by CNN and the like. The "cases" are over-reported in such as way as to make people like you shiver in your boots, and cower in fear. The "cases" are merely an observation similar to what the Stanford and USC studies have shown. The coronavirus has spread throughout the population in many states, such as California, Texas, New York, etc., especially those which had Chinese visitors. A large fraction of the population has contracted that virus and found it of no consequence.

Given your fear, you must have a bad heart condition or similar. Well, suppose you got the Covid, and you passed away, did you die from Covid or the heart condition? The hospitals are getting large sums of money from the slush fund if they report a Covid death. In reality, normal deaths are being attributed to Covid.

If we got the deaths properly measured, we then need to determine the actual number of "cases" in society. The Stanford and USC studies suggest that a large fraction of the population has already encountered the virus, and has not been impacted to any significant degree. Thus, the death rate is quite low.

Unfortunately, CNN, PBS, etc., have a political motivation to instill fear into you. And you have drunk the kool-aid and are shivering in your boots. Too bad. In that condition you become a useful tool of authoritarian control. It is interesting that China has effectively quelled all riots in Hong Kong, and has taken over control of that area. The fear goes along with authoritarian control.

Frankly, I am not interested in living my life in fear and under the authoritarian control of an over-reaching government. In California, the governor actually shut down the beaches! Give the man an inch and he takes a mile. However, the golf courses are open and freedom loving people are playing golf in droves, without masks, and perfectly happy. Not much danger there. We seem to come back day in and day out. The courses are packed. We feel sorry for the fearful masked people.

It is true. For older people like you who have a compromised immune system, you have a right to be fearful. Go ahead, wear your mask, and stay indoors -- forever. After all, the virus is not going to disappear any time soon. We can slip food to you under the door. What are you going to do when your savings run out, since you cannot work anymore for fear of the virus? Who will slip your food under the door?

Jan 1, 2020
Visit site
I think Quantum is quite wrong there.. Over here in the UK on a daily basis I have always witnessed older generations wearing masks in the areas told to by our Prime Minister & his Government & now we ve got to wear them if any necessary trips are made to another household & also outside & all of these people have been the older genenration

Every day on our streets its quite the opposite its the younger generation who arent wearing their masks its those people who have caused the coronavirus to spread & giving our PM no option but to put some parts of our country in lockdown again

Apr 22, 2020
Visit site
A quarantine is for those who are vulnerable. Somehow we have twisted logic and quarantined perfectly healthy people who are unlikely to become sick. It does no good to close the barn door after the horse has escaped. If you are vulnerable, then quarantine. If not, then treat this new virus like the normal flu. But, for sure, protect nursing homes, people over 65, those with underlying conditions, etc. What is neglected is the large social cost involved with lockdowns and unnecessary masks. The actual usefulness of masks has never been proven. Be careful of the "political" scientists who are pushing a political agenda.

Jan 1, 2020
Visit site
to be fair -I know about quarantine -Ive been doing it for over 2 months (or shielding as its known in the UK) i have an underlying health condition -Lung Disease (not as a result of smoking) -my mum & dad are well past 65 & shielding too & yes to be fair again it hasnt been proven but when the government puts in place a law that says masks must be worn in the places they say & failure to comply means a £100 fine

Lutfij

Jan 29, 2020
Visit site
Jumping in here to give everyone a reminder that rules will always be applied regardless of who is posting here. That being said, posts that are violating our G.R.A.P.E.S rule even in anagram form will not be tolerated.

Cut out the politics, name calling and media outlet bashing and make sure you guys use civility in your discussions, please. If this thread needs revisiting, this thread will end up being barren.

Lutfij

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2020
Visit site
With respect Lutfij. I dont know what G.R.A.P.E.S. stands for - Can you enlighten me & what they mean

I would like to make a temporary observation here -youre saying in your previous message that anagrams wont be tolerated.
With respect again its a tad rich you putting that rule in place then you go & put one in yourself/
With respect just because you are the moderator doesnt make you exempt
.With respect you are obliged to follow them too in order to set an example

With respect if you can tell me what your anagram stands for I am more than willing to retract & take back everything I've said in my message as it will be clear to me

Much obliged

sara

Jan 1, 2020
Visit site
Hi Lutfij

Thanks for taking the time out to put them out for me - I found out what GRAPES stand for. I'll make a note of the rules .As I said in my previous message anything that I said or put that is incorrect -which is probably all of it -I take it all back & if you feel there is anything offensive I have put in my message to you then I do apologise