Non-local consciousness

Nov 28, 2019
Visit site
I urge everyone to watch videos from Donald Hoffman, Roger Penrose and others about consciousness. Both talk of consciousness as non-local, as a dimension. Hoffman goes further, which is my view as well, that consciousness is fundamental and space/time/matter are essentially the user-interface surrounding consciousness. My own interest in the subject started years ago by first be confused with the paradox of the double-slit experiment (which has now been made further wacky by the delayed choice quantum experiment). It is now almost obvious that we have our own unique copy of reality. In fact, we have known that for over 100 years since Einstein's SR; time slows down for every part of 'our' reality as we accelerate or get closer to heavier objects. Since reality is personal, then it cannot be fundamental. Anyway, I love thinking about this.

Reactions: Truthseeker007
I urge everyone to watch videos from Donald Hoffman, Roger Penrose and others about consciousness. Both talk of consciousness as non-local, as a dimension.
I've done a great deal of research/experimentation in consciousness and its nonlocal elements. I've written the 74-page booklet There Are No Coincidences - there is synchronism, interconnectedness, nonlocality, retrocausality, subconscious telepathy, design-and-alignment, signs from GOD, and consequences.
Hoffman goes further, which is my view as well, that consciousness is fundamental and space/time/matter are essentially the user-interface surrounding consciousness.
Spacetime with hyperspace and hypertime, energy-matter, and information.
My own interest in the subject started years ago by first be confused with the paradox of the double-slit experiment (which has now been made further wacky by the delayed choice quantum experiment).
I need to google: delayed choice quantum experiment.
It is now almost obvious that we have our own unique copy of reality.
I disagree. What's the dictionary definition of reality? It has to be a shared experience of the facts. Just because you and I have differing views on something, doesn't mean that we both are perceiving reality. There are not two true realities going on - there is a reality and a false narrative.
In fact, we have known that for over 100 years since Einstein's SR; time slows down for every part of 'our' reality as we accelerate or get closer to heavier objects.
So every time I get near my car, time slows down by how much? I AM very familiar with time dilation, but there is a point where it is negligible.
Since reality is personal, then it cannot be fundamental.
Wrong. Reality by definition is not personal. Just because someone's reality is that the Earth is 6,000-years-old doesn't make it so. There are fundamental laws of Nature/physics that establish reality - a shared experience.
Anyway, I love thinking about this.
Me, too. Establishing a 'shared reality' is very important! Hasn't that always been thee goal of religion & science?

Please check out my threads on this forum and reply to them, even if you don't think they're reality.

Reactions: April
Nov 28, 2019
Visit site
Reality by definition is personal. Einstein proved it. Suppose you're a photon starting off a million light years away. We will see that photon reach us in a million years, the proton will perceive it reached us instantaneously. Same journey, different realities. Even the movie Interstellar showed the different realities. Matthew McConaughey went down to the water planet for an hour (I think), returned to the ship and the guy on the ship had aged 23 years. And you talk about laws, well, this is the law; that time is relative. And quantum physics is showing there is no 'true' reality. https://www.livescience.com/objective-reality-not-exist-quantum-physicists.html.
Fascinating stuff.

Reality by definition is personal. Einstein proved it. Suppose you're a photon starting off a million light years away. We will see that photon reach us in a million years, the proton will perceive it reached us instantaneously. Same journey, different realities. Even the movie Interstellar showed the different realities. Matthew McConaughey went down to the water planet for an hour (I think), returned to the ship and the guy on the ship had aged 23 years. And you talk about laws, well, this is the law; that time is relative. And quantum physics is showing there is no 'true' reality. https://www.livescience.com/objective-reality-not-exist-quantum-physicists.html.
Fascinating stuff.

So in other words this is all an illusion. The only thing that seems to be real is consciousness. I do believe that once we die our consciousness continues on into other dimensions and illusions. And I think we have lived many lives on this earth in different bodies. I think it has something to do with the soul having different experiences to understand what it is. We have more then likely lived on different planets also. There is a type of veil here so that we don't remember anything. Although there is past life regressions you can do to find out.

Nov 28, 2019
Visit site
So in other words this is all an illusion. The only thing that seems to be real is consciousness. I do believe that once we die our consciousness continues on into other dimensions and illusions. And I think we have lived many lives on this earth in different bodies. I think it has something to do with the soul having different experiences to understand what it is. We have more then likely lived on different planets also. There is a type of veil here so that we don't remember anything. Although there is past life regressions you can do to find out.
Yes, only consciousness is fundamental. My belief is that we have no individual consciousness. Our brains only tap into the universal consciousness, however it is the brain plus this consciousness that gives each of us our personality. This means that knowledge is not stored in our brains. The fact that everyone's world is formed with the same natural laws (eg. E=mc2) shows this. However, if the 'stuff' of the universe is not real then how do I know anyone else exists (a very solipsistic view).

Yes, only consciousness is fundamental. My belief is that we have no individual consciousness. Our brains only tap into the universal consciousness, however it is the brain plus this consciousness that gives each of us our personality. This means that knowledge is not stored in our brains. The fact that everyone's world is formed with the same natural laws (eg. E=mc2) shows this. However, if the 'stuff' of the universe is not real then how do I know anyone else exists (a very solipsistic view).

That may be possible that we don't have an individual consciousness. Especially if we go back to the main source of consciousness. I am not sure we always go back to the main source though. What about an individual soul whatever a soul is?

Nov 28, 2019
Visit site
That may be possible that we don't have an individual consciousness. Especially if we go back to the main source of consciousness. I am not sure we always go back to the main source though. What about an individual soul whatever a soul is?
Yeah, I don't believe in individual souls. I can't see a reason for individual souls. Souls would make things messy and I don't think the universe is messy.

Yeah, I don't believe in individual souls. I can't see a reason for individual souls. Souls would make things messy and I don't think the universe is messy.

I don't know whether are not their are souls. I am not sure what the point of experiencing different things would be then. I just wonder if this is all so how can some people remember their past lives? Their has to be a part of us that we always keep atleast until we go back to the source. I guess we will all find out when we die though. :D

I like the idea of consciousness being beamed into our heads via entanglement. It gives entanglement a reason for being a thing.

When you read a lot of near death experiences people went through. They seem to always go through a tunnel with a white light. And their is usually someone their to greet them either family members that passed on and if they are religious some would see a Jesus or Krishna. Their are many variations so it could even depend what you believe in. Some scientists say it is a trick of the mind. That don't explain though how these near death experiencers could see what the doctors were doing to their body and say exactly what happened while their body was dead. I don't know about you but I can't see from above with my eyes closed. So definitely something to that.

Dec 11, 2019
Visit site
In philosophy, this general viewpoint ("the mental is fundamental") is called "idealism". There are many versions of idealism, including some interesting contemporary ones as described in the various posts above. I'll be back with a formal list of contemporary philosophers who subscribe to this view. But by far the most interesting of these, I think, is Bernardo Kastrup in his recent (2018) book The Idea of the World. Here he introduces a couple of fairly clever (as well as profound) concepts to explain how we get individual minds from the general consciousness of the universe by a system of "alters" (we are all, essentially, sub-personalities -- alter egos if you will -- of universal consciousness) where the separation is maintained by psychological "Markov blankets". You can see why this book is worth a read. You can also view a number of interesting interviews with Kastrup on Jeffrey Mishlove's "New Thinking Allowed" series online.

In philosophy, this general viewpoint ("the mental is fundamental") is called "idealism". There are many versions of idealism, including some interesting contemporary ones as described in the various posts above. I'll be back with a formal list of contemporary philosophers who subscribe to this view. But by far the most interesting of these, I think, is Bernardo Kastrup in his recent (2018) book The Idea of the World. Here he introduces a couple of fairly clever (as well as profound) concepts to explain how we get individual minds from the general consciousness of the universe by a system of "alters" (we are all, essentially, sub-personalities -- alter egos if you will -- of universal consciousness) where the separation is maintained by psychological "Markov blankets". You can see why this book is worth a read. You can also view a number of interesting interviews with Kastrup on Jeffrey Mishlove's "New Thinking Allowed" series online.

Great William. Thanks for the heads up on these books. I have not heard of them myself until now. Yes that would be great for a formal list of philosophers. I am glad to see people here on the same wavelength. And know I am not the only crazy one. :LOL: Well most people think it is crazy. Because their is usually only 2 sides. One side says once your dead your dead and the other side says heaven or hell. I am glad we are discovering these 2 ideas to be missing the mark.