No, you didn't see a solar flare during the total eclipse — but you may have seen something just as special

B0K

Apr 10, 2024
Visit site
a prominence around the sun? do we have confirmation of a prominence from another angle at the same time?

the feature kind of looks like one around the moon actually, in the close-up, where the sun's light reaches the moon's bulk and has to curve around a little. that must have a focusing effect and one can imagine the very slight plasma cloud the Voyagers just left should probably pile up and cause some visible light, a bit like an aurora.

Reactions: DAR
Mar 17, 2024
Visit site
Several media outlets have incorrectly claimed that explosive solar flares were spotted during the April 8 total solar eclipse. But there were no flares during totality, so what did people see?

No, you didn't see a solar flare during the total eclipse — but you may have seen something just as special : Read more
Hello, I have read your article and I believe your information isn't perfect .

My reason for this , is the ''pink'' colour is more towards 750nm than 450nm .

''During totality, some observers saw red dots around the obscured sun. Detailed photos of these dots revealed they were actually plasma, including a particularly large, fiery plume on the sun's southwest limb''

I wouldn't have called it Plasma because the light isn't dense enough to be Plasma .

Anyway what you saw was the ''backdraft'' from the moon that in turn increased the magnitude of other areas of the sun . This process then caused Gravity-B to increase in those areas , which in turn created twisters of the ''soup'' .

In simple terms if you block a thermal current , the thermal energy has to find another way out . So when there is a traffic jam , its starts to take side streets .

Just pinch your skin , then you will see .

P.s If the camera didn't invert the image , the moon was going right to left instead of left to right when I see it . That would be odd unless I was wrong about the Sun and the Sun moved left to right . This astronomy malarkey is good fun , like a puzzle .

Added - But if the sun was travelling left to right and the moon travels left to right , that would mean the sun would have to overtake the moon and the moon was out in the daytime . Confused myself now .

Last edited:
I found it very disappointing that this article never directly confirms for the reader what the actual answer is.
While great, almost unnecessary, detail is given about Mondays solar eclipse, Prominences are only indirectly mentioned much later in the article.
Even then we are led to assume that what we actually saw is called a "Prominence".

Reactions: Dasho
Apr 2, 2020
Visit site
I guess I'm very sensitive and never realized it... I sort of feel like we were being talked down to for being too stupid to know the difference between a flare and plasma, as in,
"Lots of observers also took to social media to share their photos of these "solar flares."
Yet it took "Detailed photos of these dots revealed they were actually plasma"
So I guess for us layfolk we didn't do too bad with our limited knowledge of the sun and not taking detailed photos with our $20 eclipse goggles...

Mar 17, 2024
Visit site
Very nice image! Beautiful and great quality, thanks for sharing.
The difference between a solar flare and a ''plasma'' twister is the duration they last and cause .

A solar flare is when a region/area gains excess energy greater than the expected value which then succumbs to the external force of gravity-B which is greater than the internal force of gravity-B . The internal force of gravity-b attempts to keep a stable rate of energy throughout the medium , a losses and gains process .

These regions of excess light energy of the medium , then forces the medium to eject because of the external force . Once the medium is ejected , it instantly starts to lose energy to the surrounding space and starts to ''cool'' regaining ''negative'' mass-A'' , then is re-attracted to the medium by the medium and the internal gravity-b of the system .

''Plasma'' twisters work differently , they don't just fall back to the medium because they are caused by external influence and force feedback . This force feedback causing the regions to become more energized than the expected value but the process lasting for the duration of the external influence . So rather than a region building excess energy and instantly losing it in a flare , the area continues to build excess energy whilst being affected by the external force feedback . This continued energy then ''feeds'' the '''tale'' so it lasts for a duration , whilst been stretched by the external gravity-b . Simple really!

Press on a rubber ball and instantly let go (solar flare)

Press on a rubber ball and hold (''plasma'' twister'')

Or

Pinch your skin let go ,

Pinch your skin and hold ,

The different between instant release of pressure and sustained pressure .

Last edited: