New satellite maps show dire state of ice melt in Antarctica and Greenland

Dec 4, 2019
Visit site
Why are we so determined that Antarctica should not melt? It's a useless hunk of ice now. Anyway how can two years worth of laser scanning amount to any conclusions regarding the history of Antarctica's ice sheet? It's just a blink of an an eye in time. The reason they don't use the term global warming anymore is because it isn't and wasn't warming. So lets not give up our uninformed speculations (which means without facts) and come up with a whole bunch more speculation and call it climate change. Nothing new there, that's the way the world works we just don't know why. For example:

What caused the ice ages and subsequent melting, repeated multiple times? To cause an ice age what was the source of the enormous heat required? Yes, I wrote heat. Where did the heat come from to evaporate multi cubic miles of ocean water to then snow heavily on land. Paradoxically, to make an ice age requires a huge amount of heat because you cannot evaporate enough water from a cold ocean to make miles thick ice. Northern Canada is cold enough now for an ice age if it snowed. Subsequently, many thousands of years later we need a large amount of excess heat to melt the ice. Where did that come from? Since this just does not figure we obviously don't understand it. If we don't understand ice ages, which actually happened, how can we claim to understand "climate change" which has not happened. I therefore assume our understanding of the role of minute quantities of CO2 in the atmosphere is equally flawed. Which means we do not understand climate but we tax people anyway (who can't do anything about it but freeze) for using carbon bearing fuel. In Ontario Canada I am paying a carbon tax on the oil I use to heat my house and domestic hot water. I can't switch to a low or no carbon fuel (what would that be?) and the cost of heating with electricity here is murderous. We have to pay for the huge mistake of putting up thousands of windmills, the power from which costs about 10x that of our nuclear. Stupid! Somebody's ripping us off big time here, twice ---- first the fake science then the stupid politicians who believe it.

May 6, 2020
Visit site
It is clear that you have a few misconceptions concerning global warming (and no it has not changed to climate change - climate change is a consequence of global warming in a cause effect relationship. The term climate change was popularized by the Bush administration). First, if global temperatures are constant, then the Antarctic Ice sheet remains constant. Since we have 13 years of direct measurements of ice mass showing increasing loss, this is strong evidence that temperatures in Antarctica are increasing (although there is some increase in air temperature, most of the extra heat is comes in from the adjacent Antarctic Ocean). Yes, Antarctica has lost and gained mass before but there is no indication it has done so since the last glacial period of the current ice age.

Interesting that it requires heat for an ice age - energy is required for evaporation. In fact, while lots of heat is required, there certainly is a lot less heat during to create and during a glacial period. It is fairly easy to figure this out as a glacial period is difficult to trigger without a significant decrease in solar input (about a 20-30% drop in incoming solar radiation is required).

Northern Canada is not cold enough to accumulate snowfall enough to lead to an ice age. This has not been the case in the last 10,000 years when summer heat is sufficient to remove any snow accumulated during the winter months. However, over the last 40 years, the increased heat has led to significant continental ice losses and also explains why the permafrost zone has moved significantly northwards.

Finally, I am somewhat curious why you write why we don't understand global warming (climate change) when it is more truthful to suggest that 'you' don't understand global warming. Simple enough to ask if you don't understand something and seems less appropriate because you don't know something to claim it is fake science.