New coronavirus may have started in bats. But how did it hop to humans?

Dec 24, 2019
Visit site
"However, some experts have criticized the study, saying it's unclear if coronaviruses can infect snakes." Snakes could still be a carrier even if they aren't infected.

Jan 30, 2020
Visit site
"However, some experts have criticized the study, saying it's unclear if coronaviruses can infect snakes." Snakes could still be a carrier even if they aren't infected.
No, they couldn't. The carriers are still infected, i.e. the virus lives and reproduces in them. It is just not numerous enough to provoke symptoms. But coronaviruses can't live in cold-blooded animals at all.

Moreover, the evidence in the "snake" paper is very weak itself. They do not compare the sequence of nCov with any actual snake virus. They just use similarity in codon usage bias in nCov and in two snake species as an argument. But same codon usage patterns can arise independently in different species. It is not a direct evidence.

Reactions: Truthseeker007
First it was snakes now it is bats. How about it was created in a laboratory. Scientists can do that you know and they can make new variations of Coronaviruses. That is like when they were saying AIDS came from monkeys when later it was found AIDS was created in a laboratory and spread through a" new type" of Hepatitis vaccine. The mainstream news won't tell you that though. Pushed right under the rug.

Reactions: pamelafoester
Jan 30, 2020
Visit site
Hi - first time I've posted here,

I'm a science student from the UK & have been seeing the whole virus unfold via news,fake news etc - its hard seprating the truth to the resident evil beginnings sci fi also.

Nobody says the truth so I will - not wanting to offend but countries like china have such a odd way of living, from the pollution of mass manufacture to the high end eatries - we know that resturants & supermarkets in china sell animal products to use & eat, I've seen vidoes of even leemas being eaten, bats with the stomaches open filled with food & the truth is they have eaten a speices which is a step too far & its going to bite us all if action isn't taken, I don't think this outbreak will become an epidemic but the next one might.

Before everybody sdays racist, bigot etc, oh the young guy from england is a fool, I'm from a mixed race background myself & part of my background has french & poss spanish in it so that agruement won't wash. My view is liberal of science & life, being a young homosexual male has that effect.

Another thing that has really annoyed me is the fact that - this is a possible epidemic - why WHY hasn't any government thought right lts a must quarentine everybody, stop all flights, all cargos & goods shipping out. I've seen various things about people still travelling to & from china, I saw a report yesterday that a news crew from the UK sent 50 odd staff to cover the story, they came back & did not quarentine themselves at all - I sent them an email asking about this & they refused to answer - what the hell I say it was the BBC & well all know thwey are as baised & dumb as it comes, this example of the stupidity of humans proves my theroey that we will wipe ourselevs out through just plain simple dumbness. Another story I saw from a london news site - a buisinessman came home from China & did not have time to read the articles therefore only qaurentines himself 3 days after coming home - thats enough time to spread a germ to 100's maybe 1'000s of people.

One last theory - how do we know that this virus does not lay dorment - ie say a mobile phone made in china with somebody infected - its shipped & say I buy it 3 months down the line - is that infected???

This whole thing doesn't scare me - I just think its a eqauliser to todays mass over population of our planet & sad but worrying sign that the future is dark for many of us.

OH one last thing - blaming bats snakes etc isn't cool, next we'll blame koalas for the aussie fires, I love bats - also its Valencia cfs embalem - one of my fav soccer clubs is tarnished now.

Jan 30, 2020
Visit site
First it was snakes now it is bats. How about it was created in a laboratory. Scientists can do that you know and they can make new variations of Coronaviruses. That is like when they were saying AIDS came from monkeys when later it was found AIDS was created in a laboratory and spread through a" new type" of Hepatitis vaccine. The mainstream news won't tell you that though. Pushed right under the rug.

Do you count as main stream news American Journal of Public Health ("Rumors and Realities: Making Sense of HIV/AIDS Conspiracy Narratives and Contemporary Legends"), or a host of other science journals?

Reactions: Tbone2464
Jan 30, 2020
Visit site

Just a quick correction on the creation / spreading of the HIV virus theory. The vaccine was for polio, there are some fascinating papers on this subject if your in for an interesting read.

Hi - first time I've posted here,

I'm a science student from the UK & have been seeing the whole virus unfold via news,fake news etc - its hard seprating the truth to the resident evil beginnings sci fi also.

Nobody says the truth so I will - not wanting to offend but countries like china have such a odd way of living, from the pollution of mass manufacture to the high end eatries - we know that resturants & supermarkets in china sell animal products to use & eat, I've seen vidoes of even leemas being eaten, bats with the stomaches open filled with food & the truth is they have eaten a speices which is a step too far & its going to bite us all if action isn't taken, I don't think this outbreak will become an epidemic but the next one might.

Before everybody sdays racist, bigot etc, oh the young guy from england is a fool, I'm from a mixed race background myself & part of my background has french & poss spanish in it so that agruement won't wash. My view is liberal of science & life, being a young homosexual male has that effect.

Another thing that has really annoyed me is the fact that - this is a possible epidemic - why WHY hasn't any government thought right lts a must quarentine everybody, stop all flights, all cargos & goods shipping out. I've seen various things about people still travelling to & from china, I saw a report yesterday that a news crew from the UK sent 50 odd staff to cover the story, they came back & did not quarentine themselves at all - I sent them an email asking about this & they refused to answer - what the hell I say it was the BBC & well all know thwey are as baised & dumb as it comes, this example of the stupidity of humans proves my theroey that we will wipe ourselevs out through just plain simple dumbness. Another story I saw from a london news site - a buisinessman came home from China & did not have time to read the articles therefore only qaurentines himself 3 days after coming home - thats enough time to spread a germ to 100's maybe 1'000s of people.

One last theory - how do we know that this virus does not lay dorment - ie say a mobile phone made in china with somebody infected - its shipped & say I buy it 3 months down the line - is that infected???

This whole thing doesn't scare me - I just think its a eqauliser to todays mass over population of our planet & sad but worrying sign that the future is dark for many of us.

OH one last thing - blaming bats snakes etc isn't cool, next we'll blame koalas for the aussie fires, I love bats - also its Valencia cfs embalem - one of my fav soccer clubs is tarnished now.

Welcome sohosaints! I think you have made some good points. Never be afraid to question everything and even what you have been taught. You seem very intelligent. Keep up on researching and keep an open mind. Sometimes what is actually really going on can be hard to believe. But I think you have made a good start in questioning things.

Just a quick correction on the creation / spreading of the HIV virus theory. The vaccine was for polio, there are some fascinating papers on this subject if your in for an interesting read.

That is interesting. I just remember reading a long time ago it was Hepatitis but you may be correct it may have been polio also. Maybe a bit of both depending in what area of the world or state.

Jan 31, 2020
Visit site
In order for a snake to be a carrier, they would need to be infected with the virus. A carrier by definition is an organism that is infected but does not show symptoms. For example, (humans and all other organisms) are infected by many viruses that do not cause us to show any symptoms. We "carry" these viruses in us but they do not cause us to be sick.

Jan 31, 2020
Visit site
The Wuhan Coronavirus was created in a Lab in North Carolina - Lab-Made Coronavirus Triggers Debate
The creation of a chimeric SARS-like virus has scientists discussing the risks of gain-of-function research.

Nov 16, 2015: Ralph Baric, an infectious-disease researcher at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, last week (November 9, 2015) published a study on his team’s efforts to engineer a virus with the surface protein of the SHC014 coronavirus, found in horseshoe bats in China, and the backbone of to one that causes human-like severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) in mice. The hybrid virus could infect human airway cells and caused disease in mice, according to the team’s results, which were published in Nature Medicine.

The results demonstrate the ability of the SHC014 surface protein to bind and infect human cells, validating concerns that this virus—or other coronaviruses found in bat species—may be capable of making the leap to people without first evolving in an intermediate host, Nature reported. They also reignite a debate about whether that information justifies the risk of such work, known as gain-of-function research. “If the [new] virus escaped, nobody could predict the trajectory,” Simon Wain-Hobson, a virologist at the Pasteur Institute in Paris, told Nature.

In October 2013, the US government put a stop to all federal funding for gain-of-function studies, with particular concern rising about influenza, SARS, and Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS). “NIH [National Institutes of Health] has funded such studies because they help define the fundamental nature of human-pathogen interactions, enable the assessment of the pandemic potential of emerging infectious agents, and inform public health and preparedness efforts,” NIH Director Francis Collins said in a statement at the time. “These studies, however, also entail biosafety and biosecurity risks, which need to be understood better.”

Baric’s study on the SHC014-chimeric coronavirus began before the moratorium was announced, and the NIH allowed it to proceed during a review process, which eventually led to the conclusion that the work did not fall under the new restrictions, Baric told Nature. But some researchers, like Wain-Hobson, disagree with that decision.

The debate comes down to how informative the results are. “The only impact of this work is the creation, in a lab, of a new, non-natural risk,” Richard Ebright, a molecular biologist and biodefence expert at Rutgers University, told Nature.

But Baric and others argued the study’s importance. “[The results] move this virus from a candidate emerging pathogen to a clear and present danger,” Peter Daszak, president of the EcoHealth Alliance, which samples viruses from animals and people in emerging-diseases hotspots across the globe, told Nature.
https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/lab-made-coronavirus-triggers-debate-34502

A SARS-like cluster of circulating bat coronaviruses shows potential for human emergence
https://www.nature.com/articles/nm.3985

Engineered bat virus stirs debate over risky research
Lab-made coronavirus related to SARS can infect human cells.
https://www.nature.com/news/engineered-bat-virus-stirs-debate-over-risky-research-1.18787

Reactions: Truthseeker007
Why use this inflammatory photo of a bat as clickbait for this otherwise informative article? The quoted scientist clearly states that an as of yet undetermined intermediary animal must have passed the virus from bats to humans. He states this is because no bats were sold at the wildlife market in the epicenter of the outbreak. This photo gives bats an undeserved bad rap.

Jan 1, 2020
Visit site
My mum is acting bizarrely - not only will she not go in a Chinese restaurant anymore or got to our favourite buffet restaurant (because there are Chinese chefs/waitresses there but wont let me have a Chinese takeaway-because of the corona virus

Feb 8, 2020
Visit site
My idea is merely a recount of a "fictional" movie. Have you watched a movie named " Contagion?" Coincidentally the virus came from bat poop. The dropping fell on a chicken in an open-air kitchen, where a cook was curing a chicken, the cook did not wash his hands with soap and water, he merely wiped his hands on an apron, he later shook a woman's hand, she became infected, and the rest is history, she became the carrier, she had sex with an old boyfriend, they all became carriers. etc. etc.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2020
Visit site
It is doubtful that this virus occurred naturally: https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.01.30.927871v1

The finding of 4 unique inserts in the 2019-nCoV, all of which have identity /similarity to amino acid residues in key structural proteins of HIV-1 is unlikely to be fortuitous in nature.

"unlikely to be fortuitous in nature" means it's all but impossible that it mutated naturally and suggests this was created in a lab. I guess bats gave it to HIV-riddled snakes who then passed it onto Pangolins. *shrugs*

Just thought this should be mentioned.

Feb 15, 2020
Visit site
Well I’m no scientist I’m just an average person but sometimes common sense has the answer I am not sure of all that was sold on the market but as far as how the jump was made it can be as simple as a mosquito bite of the carrier to the new host that being the case and the question of it being most likely a warm blooded issue it would have had to have bitten a bat then a human or a bat then say for instance a pig of a cow that was sold on the market that had infected the meat then passed to humans that way but in either case all things sold on that market should be tested for the virus or its mutations if it can be traced from say bats like human mad cow disease can be can be contracted from eating meat from a infected cow with the disease in t is possible the bat bit a animal if that is where it come from but I don’t know I think it could be from mice or rats transferring it via mosquito to bat to something else or to human I mean come on the Black Plague come from mice seems like most things disease wise seem to come from mice but meh I’m just a average person throwing out a very wild guess but sometimes over thinking a issue complicates a problem more than it should be when the answer is really a simple one you didn’t see because the answer was there all along it wasn’t really thought of to begin with but I’m sure it’s already been thought of

Kattria

Reactions: sward
Feb 27, 2020
Visit site
I mean come on the Black Plague come from mice seems like most things disease wise seem to come from mice

actually the Black Plague came from fleas on the rats (which is really just how the fleas spread but also the rats did eventually become carriers of the plague themselves). And your perception of most diseases
coming from mice or rats is wrong, most diseases actually don't ever really affect mice. While its often true that mice CAN be carriers it is usually -like in the case of the plague -because they were bitten or ate something that had been infected. Lots of other diseases like dengue or yellow fever are spread from insects or avian flu which spread from birds. I feel alot of people have this misconception because of popular media and the use of mice in the testing sector of vaccines and "cures".