New coronavirus from China: Everything you need to know

Page 2 - For the science geek in everyone, Live Science breaks down the stories behind the most interesting news and photos on the Internet.
Jan 27, 2020
Visit site
The common cold kills way more people than that, claiming roughly 50000 life annually. Besides, alcohol claims 1/20 deaths. (According to the World Health Organization) Thats roughly 3 million a year. Alcohol which tons of people drink is by far a greater threat to preserving human life.
"Dozens of Europeans hosbitalized today because of common cold. Proves greater threat than Chinese virus with scary name"

More people die from the common cold, this is comparativley insignificant. If this causes people to pannic, they are in a world for fear! Wait to you hear about the flu.

Possibly. Although this mutated has only recently been announced by the Chinese government, we still have no idea exactly what this could cause. I would stay tuned before I make a comment like that so I don't underestimate a new disease. Panic might be more dangerous than the actual disease, but let's just wait and see

LCarlson

Administrator
Nov 12, 2019
Visit site
Folks, we all have opinions and concerns. However, a number of posts in this thread veered toward abusive comments, insults and outright racism, none of which are acceptable in this community.

The relevant posts have been removed and warnings assessed. We know that you can find more reasonable ways to express yourselves, as the remaining posts here demonstrate.

If you have any questions, it's all covered within our forum rules: https://forums.livescience.com/threads/read-before-posting-forum-rules.3/

Fiction Thriller predicts the outbreak of this new virus from China and how it may have been fabricated in a lab close to the virus's outbreak: https://www.amazon.com/New-Reality-Alex-Pella/dp/1611530741

In where fiction becomes a reality. I think what makes sense to me is that the virus either escaped the lab by accident or it was placed in the public on purpose. But nobody in the mainstream is ever going to say what is obvious or speak truth for that matter. They would rather just blame it on snakes and bats. My question is how can people even trust the mainstream news or the CDC anymore? And the WHO in the past has been caught spreading viruses. It's a joke.

Last edited:
Reactions: Winchuff
Is the risk one of proximity - or is it electricity - because viruses are negatively charged? Can we repel those viruses? Our electrical Membrane Potential inside our cells is also negative, so it would repel negatively charged viruses, thereby preventing the viruses abilities to enter.

Does 5G increase the risk of contagion by reducing our ability 2 repel viruses?
Maybe we should turn the 5G off, too. Wuhan has over 300 5G bases. I believe Wuhan is their premiere 5G city.

That is a great point about the 5G!

Let me give you some facts the common cold effects billions of people. It kills roughly 56000 people a year -much more that this virus since 2002. I do not deny the validity of this virus concern, but it is still not as big of a threat, except to the fearful. The common cold is a coronovirus too. For all we know, this could just be a bad strain of the common cold.

All I have seen this cronovirus do is cause mass fear and panic.

You got a point. The same thing happened with the panic with the Swine Flu. It was on the mainstream news 24 hours a day and we were all going to die. :LOL: It did sell millions of vaccines though. The controllers do love putting fear in the public. And I remember the ones that actually took the swine flu vaccine that I knew got sick afterwards. And who knows what they have in their body now.

Reactions: Jeanjaz
Dec 8, 2019
Visit site
...what do you do when you CANT GET OUT?!?! (because the gov. is starting to cut it off from the rest of the world)
You report to your embassy. A US citizen in Wuhan would report to the closest US Embassy. They will help you. Long term residents have to be registered with the embassy - or should be because then you are notified about such things as port closures and outbreaks.

Reactions: Truthseeker007
Jan 25, 2020
Visit site
"Dozens of Europeans hosbitalized today because of common cold. Proves greater threat than Chinese virus with scary name"

More people die from the common cold, this is comparativley insignificant. If this causes people to pannic, they are in a world for fear! Wait to you hear about the flu.

Haha, no kidding. They are now saying the flu is a greater threat in the US. More people have died from it. Im actually sick right now. A subling of mine coughed and I got it.

Jan 25, 2020
Visit site
Possibly. Although this mutated has only recently been announced by the Chinese government, we still have no idea exactly what this could cause. I would stay tuned before I make a comment like that so I don't underestimate a new disease. Panic might be more dangerous than the actual disease, but let's just wait and see

Fair point. The spanish flu pandemic in 1918 killed more than WW1 and WW2 combined. Not to say that liberty isnt important as well, but that pandemics are a greater threat to life. If another pandemic like that were to happen today, it could take hundreds of millions of life.

Feb 2, 2020
Visit site
No offense but you’re not seeing the big picture and putting out bad information. Let me give you the cliff notes-
1) Millions of Chinese are traveling for their new year holiday and the virus has up to a two week incubation period
2) the chinese government is likely lying like they did with sars
3) the last time this happened was almost 20 years ago and they managed to contain the spread
4) this virus causes pneumonia

the facts are not all in about this virus the death count is only people who were officially diagnosed. This is very different from a common cold— it’s a virus that mutated from an animal (likely a snake).
Howdy all first time on this site and all very interesting and and most of all that is written matters not...
Iam what 10 yrs ago all would have thought to be crazy and now am thought to be a conspiracy Theorist and hopefully in ten years time I will be thought of as one who has much wisdom.. haha. Any way I like to try to see things logically and hate things that don't make sense. It's hard to have an opinion when all information may or may not be real or true. So one thing I think most are starting to question and should is the fact that the media msinstream, most if not all are lying to everyone according to whatever agenda is best for whomever. Which means if someone is found to be a liar they may or may not have always been lieing to you and may or may not always lie in the future. So. I personally think that this is a whole lot worse than anyone thinks it is... Logically ...... I am no doctor or scientist so this is my logic mind and how it works even ( sorry accidently posted and far from finished haha I'll keep going........)so even if we go by the low numbers the media are saying we know that approx one month after the first apparent death in wuhan the city got quarantined no one in no one out by force. Not sure how many millions Wuhan has but I personally don't think that would happen if there only 100 deaths... Logically .. .it would seem that China who has most of the real information and knowledge about this are not containing it and are very very scared of it.. And now one one month after that two other cities I think 70 KMS away with 8 million and 5 million have also been quarantined still with no cure seemingly close. In two months then it has spread all around the world with relatively small numbers apparently but all the numbers are people that have already had the virus and spread the virus for 5 to 10 maybe more days before they are now being tested for it... And just today the one that scares me because I live here the first death outside China in Manila soanila now has day one of the first death and we'll they aren't any more ahead of Wuhan to be able to do anything about it so if we are on the same timeline one month orobly less manila martial law and quarantined and one month maybe less where I am 50 KMS from manila lockdown not just no one in none out nothing in nothing out food water nothing to contain it. That's my logical thinking other things we know....... Apparently Wuhan are building a 1000 bed hospital for this does any one else see that in a huge city that is the most rediculous thing iv ever heard even they are saying all of wuhan is quarantined and 14 000 infected and only a 1000 bed hospital is being built . to make it seem that it's not huge but that says they need more beds which means their hospitals are full !!!!! If it's a hospital that's only for Corina containment wouldn't they need 14 ooo at least. Here is my conspiracy thoughts now.... a1000 bed hospital is tiny. Even a functional 1000 bed general hospital is tiny and I would think a 1000 bed quarantine hospital would be even smaller.now they have said they are bringing all the machinery in Wuhan to this site so they can build it in 6 days....... And I'm not sure if real or true but the pictures iv seen of this hospital they are building in 6 days have shown .. an impressive amount of tractors diggers and dump trucks literally more than amount needed for the hugest of of skyscrapers ever built and for this fast growing hospital in all the photos and vids you see these machines moving frantically but not a wall in sight now a six day build of anything u gotta start going up at least by the end of day one..... Now without a wall in sight which I do think will go up maybe day four or five and the only machinery there in numbers are machinery that dig and remove dirt why are they going down in need of 100s of trucks to remove dirt.... Here it is........ They will build the small 1000 bed hospital in the last 2 days but the amount of people they have on top are tiny compared to the number so easily to be made to fit under Neath it.. come on mate u think China is above all this. Logically..... One thousand bed hospital even though 20 million in 3 cities are quarantined do the math!!!!! I could go on for alot longer but il leave it there. Apologies it was long and don't even know if I wrote in the correct place to post haha oh well later all!!!!?

[note: edited solely to remove the partially duplicated information at top. Otherwise intact as posted. ~LC]

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 2, 2020
Visit site
My point of this whole thing is not to deny that this virus is a threat, but rather to say there are far greater threats out there. But nobody has noticed them till now and maybe not now because they wont accept their is a problem. All they can see is a facade, not what is acctually happening in that building. Both litterally and metaphorically.

Yesterday the total sick was ~9700 today its over 14000. If it keeps at this rate it may infect more than the flu globally this season. Flu kills at a rate of .02, this corona-virus so far a rate of 2.0 to 3.0. If the same number of people who get the flu each year gets this then the total dead will be 500,000 to 1,000,000. I think its worth taking precautions.

I do agree the media likes a good crisis, but I fear the world may have reacted too slowly this time. I pray I am wrong.

Jan 25, 2020
Visit site
Yesterday the total sick was ~9700 today its over 14000. If it keeps at this rate it may infect more than the flu globally this season. Flu kills at a rate of .02, this corona-virus so far a rate of 2.0 to 3.0. If the same number of people who get the flu each year gets this then the total dead will be 500,000 to 1,000,000. I think its worth taking precautions.

I do agree the media likes a good crisis, but I fear the world may have reacted too slowly this time. I pray I am wrong.

I suppose, as or more deadly than the flu. Still there are far greater threats out there to be concerned about.
That said, a pandemic is worrysome. The last pandemic -the spanish flu of 1918 killed more people than WW1 and WW2 combined. That was when the world population was just over a billion. Today population being 8 billion and having airports and means of transportation....it is only a matter of time before a pandemic happens. Something like the spanish flu would kill hundreds of millions.
The big concern is a pandemic starting, however medical tech is a lot better today and could certainly help. 🤔🤔🤔

Reactions: LCarlson
Population control is a given, but thats the first time Ive thought of it as population control. Wow. I would see more people as an opportunity. I guesss some men see that as a problem.

Many of the elite say the world is overpopulated yet you could fit all the humans of the world in the state of Texas. It is mostly about control. And I think I can't remember his name of hand but he said it is easier to kill a million people then to control a million. Or something close to that. I think his last name was Z Brininski or something close to that. He advised a lot of the US presidents.

Reactions: WiseOne
Feb 4, 2020
Visit site
There are 10 cases in Vietnam already and so far mainly people coming from Wuhan who knows how many human to human transmission cases within Vietnam are going to appear :(

Feb 7, 2020
Visit site
Here's everything you need to know about the new coronavirus from China, including how lethal it is, how you can catch it and what is being done to prevent widespread infections.

New coronavirus from China: Everything you need to know : Read more

The US may be spared the worst of it. Interesting article here: Link

Add to that the fact that the government has been preparing for this since at least October of last year:

DRUG PRODUCT MANUFACTURING DURING A PANDEMIC-METHODS OF REPLACING STOCKPILED ANTIVIRALS IN A SHORT TIMELINE

This took place 9 days before they sent 300 military personnel into Wuhan to take part in military games.

From the order it specifically states:

The antiviral stockpile has enough antivirals for a severe pandemic. In the event of a second wave of an influenza pandemic, the depleted stockpile inventory will need replacement. The USG is seeking to gather information from manufacturers on alternative drug product images/formulations with the goal of supplying up to 50 million treatment courses of antivirals to the SNS within one year.

Interesting given that the dosages they're wanting to buy (75mg bid) are the same dosages found to be effective in this Lancet case study: Link

Is this Trump winning? I don't know if I'd call it that, but it's all very disturbing, especially if true.

Feb 7, 2020
Visit site
Notice: Disprove the source before you blindly remove this.

Virus-hit Wuhan has two laboratories linked to Chinese bio-warfare program
Virology institute there has China's only secure lab for studying deadly viruse

By Bill Gertz - The Washington Times - Friday, January 24, 2020

washingtontimes. com/news/2020/jan/24/virus-hit-wuhan-has-two-laboratories-linked-chines/

The deadly animal virus epidemic spreading globally may have originated in a Wuhan laboratory linked to China’s covert biological weapons program, according to an Israeli biological warfare expert.

Radio Free Asia this week rebroadcast a local Wuhan television report from 2015 showing China’s most advanced virus research laboratory known the Wuhan Institute of Virology, Radio Free Asia reported. The laboratory is the only declared site in China capable of working with deadly viruses.

They have one level 4 bio lab. Who is claiming they don't?

We do too, though. So does Canada. I believe Saudi Arabia has one, as well as Israel.

Would be the perfect location to attack China with a bio-weapon. Easy to blame it on them.

Feb 9, 2020
Visit site
"To determine how easily the virus spreads, scientists will need to calculate what's known as the "basic reproduction number, or R0 (pronounced R-nought.) This is an estimate of the average number of people who catch the virus from a single infected person, Live science previously reported. A study published Jan. 29 in the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) estimated an R0 value for the new coronavirus to be 2.2, meaning each infected person has been spreading the virus to an average of 2.2 people. "

The calculation of R0 is not enough. R0 must be based on how many people the person comes in contact with. The R0 value of 2.2 assumes an unknown average number of people a contagious person comes in contact with. This can vary from a housewife who only comes in contact with her husband to a teacher who may come in contact with 150 students. Without knowing the number of contacts an infected person has, it is impossible to calculate the percentage of the population that must be vaccinated to prevent the spread of the disease. If the value of R0 is 2.2 then the percentage of the population that must be vaccinated to prevent the spread of the disease is V = -1 / (N * R0) + 1 where V is the fraction of the population that must be vaccinated to prevent the disease from spreading; N is the number of people an infected person comes in contact with; and R0 is the rate of infection. With an assumed N of 10 and an R0 of 2.2, then 55% of the population would have to be vaccinated (assuming 100%) effectiveness) to prevent the virus from spreading. That seems unlikely with China's large population and so far a lack of a vaccine.

Feb 11, 2020
Visit site
Here's everything you need to know about the new coronavirus from China, including how lethal it is, how you can catch it and what is being done to prevent widespread infections.

New coronavirus from China: Everything you need to know : Read more

I read recently that the true death total is around 50,000 plus! They are burning bodies in the cities and a sulphur smog is a result. Considering that many factories and industrial businesses have been shut down due to lack of workers because of this illness? They do not think this smog is from industry. Further, the cities most inundated with the disease? Are the ones performing the massive burns hence sulphur smog. They are keeping it very hush hush...but this is alot worse than the Chinese are letting on.....just an FYI.

Feb 1, 2020
Visit site
Feb 15, 2020
Visit site
Is there any source that provide statistics on the rate of spread of this virus? I see how many cases have been reported, and I see how many of those case are fatal. What I don;'t see are stats illustrating how quickly the rate of infection is growing (or declining). Purely as an example, were the cases doubling every two days a week ago and are they doubling ever three days now? A line graph should express this rate rather well.

If the common cold kills that many more, we do have to factor in how many cases of the common cold occur each year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 23, 2020
Visit site
I suppose Im compairing apples to oranges, but my point was is that the common cold is more deadly.

The common cold is at global saturation. According to the WHO sitrep, COVID-19 has just 77,794 confirmed cases (globally) as of 22/2/20. Rates of infection indicate this cannot be contained and will be a global pandemic (like flu or the common cold).

Therefore comparison of the current global death rates of COVID-19 and the common cold is bogus.

At this point, the critical uncertainty is in relation to the lethality of COVID-19. It appears to be ~3%.

Reactions: Pequod42