Never-before-seen 'crystal-like matter' hidden in a chunk of fossilized lightning is probably a brand new mineral

Oct 2, 2020
Visit site
You're calling this rare, pretty rock a fossil. Sometimes in quotes, sometimes not. Was this to imply a certain irony, or were you attributing the term to Dr. Pasek?

No age estimate is given for said fossil or "fossil", nor do you identify the geological substrate where it was found. Or was it simply buried in loose dirt next to said tree?

Was the tree fossilized? Or is it still living? Oh, I see now. You talk about the "owner of the... New Port Richey tree". Not owner of the "land" in NPR.

Sounds like the guy saw the lightning, went over and dug up the freshly formed concretion. I hope Dr. Pasek didn't pay too much for it.

See, according to Wikipedia:
A fossil... is any preserved remains, impression, or trace of any once-living thing from a past geological age.

"Fossil lightning"? That's all I'm saying.

Apr 17, 2023
Visit site
Fulgurites are nothing new. An award was named for the fulgurite, because of it rarity, at a high school I worked at in 2005, and possibly before. The head science teacher would present it, and explain what a fulgurite was. So, I'm not sure what "new" discovery would have been found. Here's the wikipedia page for fulgurites: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulgurite