Math and arithmetic

Jan 1, 2020
Visit site
I think arithmetic is the basic type of maths that you learn as a child -for example I went to private school & right upto being in the juniors class it was always known as arithmetic- As I got older & got into higher classes & various new schools it was known as Maths

Mathematics is defined as the study of measurements and properties of quantities of numbers. Mathematics includes proofs and theorems outside of numbers and symbols.
Arithmetic involves basic calculations of numbers, addition, subtraction, division, and multiplication. It is a fundamental sub-set of mathematics. We use arithmetic in everyday life.

Reactions: WayneInIndy
Apr 17, 2020
www.juancmeza.com
Who can explain me what is the main difference between math and arithmetic? Thanks for any advice.
This is a great question. I think you would likely get two different answers depending on whether you ask a mathematician or someone else. For a mathematician, arithmetic is just one of the major branches of mathematics. Some other branches that you might have studied in school are geometry and algebra, . For almost anybody else in the public, mathematics and arithmetic would be essentially the same thing and both would be described as working with numbers.

As a mathematician, I find this to be a little sad because it misses a lot of the exciting aspects of mathematics and how it can be applied to almost any problem you can think of. For example, just now during this whole coronavirus epidemic, mathematicians have been working furiously to try to make the best predictions we can of how widespread outbreaks will be and how different strategies might be able to reduce the size and duration of the epidemic. And all because the coronavirus epidemic can be modeled using some fairly easy to understand math!

Apr 17, 2020
Visit site
“Arithmetic is to mathematics as spelling is to writing.” ...
Math uses signs, symbols, and proofs and includes arithmetic,
algebra, calculus, geometry, and trigonometry. The most obvious difference is that arithmetic is all about numbers and mathematics is all about theory.

Jan 1, 2020
Visit site
“Arithmetic is to mathematics as spelling is to writing.” ...
Math uses signs, symbols, and proofs and includes arithmetic,
algebra, calculus, geometry, and trigonometry. The most obvious difference is that arithmetic is all about numbers and mathematics is all about theory.

I have what is known as dyscalculia which means I cant do maths, solve mathematical problems -I certainly cant do any advanced maths

Which is why I exploited my lingusitic capabilities & worked at those & came out with qualifications in them