Masks for Coronavirus but not flu?

Jul 19, 2020
First, let me say that I am not trying to start a debate; I am simply seeking information and trying to understand.

The CDC does not recommend the use of masks for influenza, which is also primarily spread by droplets. Why the difference?

What is different about the Coronavirus that masks help slow its transmission when they don't slow the transmission of influenza? One assumes there must some physical difference in the virus or in how it is spread?

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide. :)

Mar 19, 2020
Coronavirus is more dangerous, we don't know enough about it, and there is no vaccine.
Also, Coronavirus can be airborne, not just in droplets.

Jul 24, 2020
Any benefit to wearing a mask to stop the spread of coronavirus should also apply to influenza because the respiratory transmission dynamics are similar. Its likely that CDC advice is different due to emergency nature of pandemic and the effort to curb the spread as much as possible.

Last edited:

ROG

Aug 29, 2020
Here in the UK our influenza and pneumonia deaths are now higher than covid deaths yet nobody is bothered about that

Sep 6, 2020
Here in the UK our influenza and pneumonia deaths are now higher than covid deaths yet nobody is bothered about that
Your evidence/ source on this would have been helpful but influenze is a known illness... It pretty much hospitalises the same number of patients every year with a similar peak every year and the NHS (in the UK) are well prepared and know how to plan for this.
We have no idea how many people would be hospitalised with COVID19 in the same period. The NHS has struggled every year with influenza but got through it....
I would feel uncomfortable if the message from the NHS was 'lets see what happens and if number increase dramatically then... good luck folks!'

Sep 14, 2020
Your evidence/ source on this would have been helpful but influenze is a known illness... It pretty much hospitalises the same number of patients every year with a similar peak every year and the NHS (in the UK) are well prepared and know how to plan for this.
We have no idea how many people would be hospitalised with upsers COVID19 in the same period. The NHS has struggled every year with influenza but got through it....
I would feel uncomfortable if the message from the NHS was 'lets see what happens and if number increase dramatically then... good luck folks!'
Its likely that CDC advice is different due to emergency nature of pandemic and the effort to curb the spread as much as possible.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020
Source is the ONS data graph = super reliable
Note 5 states 'A death can be registered with both COVID-19 and Influenza and Pneumonia mentioned on the death certificate. Because pneumonia may be a consequence of COVID-19, deaths where both were mentioned have been counted only in the COVID-19 category.' so I do not think it is a reliable source for the claim made.

ASK THE COMMUNITY