Listen to the sounds of Pando, the largest living tree in the world

May 31, 2023
Visit site
Yes, You are right Pando, also known as the Trembling Giant, is a massive grove of quaking aspen trees (Populus tremuloides) located in Utah, USA. While it consists of multiple trees, they are genetically identical and connected through a common root system, making Pando the largest living organism on Earth. Researchers have been studying Pando using various methods, including the use of sound. Sound monitoring allows scientists to gain insights into the health, vitality, and interactions of the trees within the grove. By analyzing the sounds emitted by Pando, researchers can detect signals related to growth patterns, stress responses, and other aspects of the tree's biology.

Jun 2, 2023
Visit site
So the movie Avatar show that this is actually true. Actually, many of us who farm or have gardens know the symbiotic relationship between plants. Many a stand of oaks are actually one tree with root spouts that can rise 300' away from the main tree. We also know that an injection of a radioactive substance in one tree can show up 1/2 mile away in another tree through interconnected roots and fungi.

Reactions: skynr13
Jan 8, 2023
Visit site
I think one can't be sure that the sounds they are recording are actually from the tree. The Earth could be producing this noise too. But I once saw a documentary on how scientists tried to understand trees by driving a nail into several trees and measuring the electrical signals they produced. Once they found this, they cut small branches and leaves off of them and were able to measure a response using the electrical signal produced that was something like a language. This could be done with these Aspen too! I couldn't find a link for that but here's one that is kinda' the same. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/03/210316112257.htm

Apr 29, 2020
Visit site
So the movie Avatar show that this is actually true. Actually, many of us who farm or have gardens know the symbiotic relationship between plants. Many a stand of oaks are actually one tree with root spouts that can rise 300' away from the main tree. We also know that an injection of a radioactive substance in one tree can show up 1/2 mile away in another tree through interconnected roots and fungi.
You are quoting a film??? Avatar was a SF film nothing more.

Jan 8, 2023
Visit site
You are quoting a film??? Avatar was a SF film nothing more.
Yea, I was kinda' confused by that Avatar comment too. But the rest of his comments are good. I'm a farmer and knowing your crop is like getting to know people. Some want more sun or water or fertilizer. They are like people, they need food, water and the bright sunshine to live. Maybe that's what they show in Avatar, but I've never seen that movie, so I don't know.

Dec 20, 2022
Visit site
They put a mic into a hollow trunk and recorded a rumbling sound. How do they know they weren't recording the same thing you get when you hold a sea shell up to your ear, i.e. ambient sound focused by the cavity?

Last edited: