James Webb Space Telescope discovers oldest black hole in the universe — a cosmic monster 10 million times heavier than the sun

Jan 15, 2023
Visit site
The James Webb Space Telescope detected what may be the oldest known black hole in the universe by deconstructing faint glimmers of light from close to the dawn of time.

James Webb Space Telescope discovers oldest black hole in the universe — a cosmic monster 10 million times heavier than the sun : Read more
Now an object 10 million times larger than our sun. I have a feeling we are far from safe even at this distance, if not from the current discovery, then with thousands of others.
Something doesn't seem quite right with all of these reality shattering discoveries. Distance and time have been major factors in our secure notion of a quiet cosmos surrounding earth, but it seems almost surrealistic for the past thousands of years of humankind 's existence for a lethal cataclysmic cosmic event to be so rare.
After all, there have been times when humankind was tormented by destruction from cosmic origin. Count the number of impacts and volcanic activity going back 80 thousand years. Some were partial extinction events for us.
Carelessness and apathy aren't my characteristics. There may be a universe of cosmic cataclysm that has traveled nearly the speed of light for millions of years. Our technological superiority will provide a front seat view of any object(s) approaching earth.
Is there a concern such as this? I'm probably overthinking it.