Question Is bread bad for you? Like forreal?

Nov 19, 2019
Visit site
Had a bunch of conversations with low-carb people.. After mostly getting lectured about the evils of carbs, I need to know...what is it exactly that makes bread so bad for you? Is it all just panic-mode coming from a new diet craze?

Rachael

Staff member
Nov 22, 2019
Visit site
Most nutritionist I've spoken with stress that moderation is key to a healthy diet. In other words, you don't want to eat too much of any one thing. I'm not a nutritionist, but I would say that if you are eating bread, you should eat it in moderation and choose whole-grain bread as whole grains have been linked with health benefits.

The body breaks down carbohydrates into sugar (glucose), which raises blood sugar levels. Bigger spikes in blood sugar occur after eating refined grains, such as white bread. This may be where some of the concern around bread comes from.

I'm reminded of a study I wrote about last year, which found that both high-carb and low-carb diets were linked with an increased risk of death during the study period, compared with a moderate-carb diet. This again goes back to the idea of eating a balanced diet: https://www.livescience.com/63359-moderate-carb-diet-longevity.html

Reactions: JeetsN123
Nov 26, 2019
Visit site
Proteins and Carbohydrates are essential along with micro-nutrients (vitamins and minerals).
Depending on muscle mass in a given body there is a maximum protein intake (average 70g) from food sources that the body uses, anything over that threshold is excreted daily.
Carbohydrates are the energy foods that convert to sugars to fuel our daily energy consumption. The balance of energy used up on a daily basis or even weekly basis should tally up with the consumption of calories provided in Carbohydrates, as sugars once converted can be stored by the body for future needs. Getting a balance of Carbohydrates is essential for maximum performance from the body, so the more energy you use the more carbs you need to intake, but not more protein, unless you want to lose weight and like eating, then substitute carbs for protein, as the protein will be wasted and excreted without being used.
Listen to your body there are in built signals that humanity have seemed to have lost touch with, when your full your body tells you. If you don't like the taste of something don't eat it as it's your body saying it's not good for you!
A varied diet is the best possible way to get all the nutrients the body needs but moderation is also key, with as much movement and exercise you can do as often as possible. Balance creates good health.

Nov 28, 2019
Visit site
Proteins and Carbohydrates are essential along with micro-nutrients (vitamins and minerals).
Carbohydrates are not essential. The body can manufacture any carb it requires. Only proteins and fats are required. No, carbs are not essential for maximum performance and are a very weak form of energy as fats are far better than carbs as an energy source (fats have 9 calories/gram, carbs 4c/gm).. No, the more energy you use the more fats and proteins you should eat as fat (as mentioned) should be the primary source of energy and proteins allow the body repair itself. The only good carbs are the complex carbs found in vegetables and starches such as coloured root vegies such as sweet potatoes/yams/etc.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2019
Visit site
Had a bunch of conversations with low-carb people.. After mostly getting lectured about the evils of carbs, I need to know...what is it exactly that makes bread so bad for you? Is it all just panic-mode coming from a new diet craze?
Breads are very bad for you and you should limit them or preferably not eat them. They are instantly metabolised into glucose, cause inflammation in the body (Crohn's disease, irritable bowel syndrome, gluten sensitivities, among a host of issues). Inflammation from breads is the worst since many serious ailments (heart disaease, etc) are a direct result of inflammation.
Also, bread has been genetically modified countless times with the modifications solely based on shorter growing, insect prevention, more yield, etc. Not a single genetic modification has been done to increase nutrient. The original wheat had 14 chromosomes. Today's wheat has 42. It is a monstrosity created by science to feed as many people as possible.
To get the complete picture, read 'Wheat Belly' by Davis. You won't eat another slice. https://www.amazon.com/Wheat-Belly-Lose-Weight-Health/dp/1609614798

Well not sure if I am right about this but isn't the flour in white bread bleached to make it white. I have heard that white bread is the worse not totally sure if that is the reason why. I mean I am sure they don't use actual bleach to bleach the flour but however they do it it can't be to healthy.

Dec 7, 2019
Visit site
First let's define 'bread'. Bread is a baked mixture of wheat flour, water, salt, and yeast, with maybe a little sugar to awaken the yeast is it's been dried. If the bread one eats fits those clear & simply parameters, then it's good for you.

As for the crap one buys in the modern grocery store, if you need a glossary to understand the ingredients list; well, then it's _possible_ that one's health might be in jeopardy. Lets try to understand the differences between 'whey powder' and 'mixed tocopherols', silicon dioxide, or reduced iron (of unknown origin). None of which are inherently evil. We need iron for healthy blood, but silicon dioxide, while non-toxic, is only there to help keep the wheat flour free-flowing in the industrial hoppers. And I haven't even mentioned the questionable ingredients, because I have no loaves of commercial bread to refer to.

tl;dr -- let's just say that if one must 'consider' the contents of one's daily bread, then there is a better than even chance that something in there is chemically closer to the formaldehyde used for embalming the dead, than the dietary needs of a healthy living body.

Bon appetit

Reactions: Truthseeker007
Jan 20, 2020
Visit site

It depends on the bread, and the overall context of the diet in which it's being consumed.

Bread can be bad for you under certain circumstances - if it's laden with poisons (pesticides such as glyphosate - used in any non-organic bread), if the flour is refined rather than whole grains that are sprouted or fermented (in which case it's essentially just like sugar, devoid of nutrients and inflammatory), or if you have blood sugar issues or any intolerance to any of the components of the bread (gluten, or yeast, or a wheat allergy, for example).

Bread can be good for you under certain circumstances - if it's free of poisons (i.e. organic to make sure of this), uses whole grains properly prepared with extensive traditional preparation methods (sprouting and/or fermenting them), you're not intolerant to them, and they're eaten in the context of an overall healthy diet, and you don't have blood sugar issues or any other reason why they'd affect you personally negatively.

Most bread sold in the USA is inflammatory junk food that nobody should buy or eat. And most people are unware of this and don't know how bread used to be made and consumed, or what an overall healthy diet should look like. For more info read about the Wise Traditions Diet, and go from there.

Reactions: Truthseeker007
It depends on the bread, and the overall context of the diet in which it's being consumed.

Bread can be bad for you under certain circumstances - if it's laden with poisons (pesticides such as glyphosate - used in any non-organic bread), if the flour is refined rather than whole grains that are sprouted or fermented (in which case it's essentially just like sugar, devoid of nutrients and inflammatory), or if you have blood sugar issues or any intolerance to any of the components of the bread (gluten, or yeast, or a wheat allergy, for example).

Bread can be good for you under certain circumstances - if it's free of poisons (i.e. organic to make sure of this), uses whole grains properly prepared with extensive traditional preparation methods (sprouting and/or fermenting them), you're not intolerant to them, and they're eaten in the context of an overall healthy diet, and you don't have blood sugar issues or any other reason why they'd affect you personally negatively.

Most bread sold in the USA is inflammatory junk food that nobody should buy or eat. And most people are unware of this and don't know how bread used to be made and consumed, or what an overall healthy diet should look like. For more info read about the Wise Traditions Diet, and go from there.

We sure do like to poison ourselves don't we? :LOL: I think the corporations are a lot to blame for it but then again we are the ones still buying it since we don't educate ourselves. If you try telling something like this to somebody they will just look at you with a blank stare and keep eating their Big Mack.

Reactions: Tano
Jan 1, 2020
Visit site
I eat bread now & again -my mum nags me that I dont eat enough of it

Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
Bread was first consumed only 10,000 years ago. Humans have not yet evolved to digest it.

In 1492 Columbus brought corn, potato, tomato, bell pepper, chili pepper, vanilla, tobacco, beans, pumpkin, cassava root, avocado, peanut, pecan , cashew, pineapple, blueberry, sunflower, petunia, black-eyed susan, dahlia, marigold, quinine, wild rice, cacao (chocolate), gourds, and squash from South America.

Maize, potato and sweet potato growing in China increased the population %250 from 1550 to 1900.

The crops were definitely not normal food for most people. The vegetables have energy but not much protein or nutrients.

Eating bread every day isn't good for you , sometimes it can affect the way you poop but mostly people with IBS are one way or another with that , i myself have IBS and i can only have bread once a week