Question If no soap, does holding hands under hot water kill all viruses?

A lot will depend on what you do with your hands for a living. Are you an automobile mechanic? Drywall? An office worker? Garbage collector? Nurse?

I'll bet you could brush your hands in a bowl of 3% hydrogen peroxide, brushing the complete area with an appropriate duration. Don't rinse in water. Leave brush in bowl. One cloth drying towel will last you all day. Assuming pen and paper work.

It should promote hand crack healing. Let us know.

Last edited:
Reactions: David J Franks
Feb 28, 2020
Visit site
A lot will depend on what you do with your hands for a living. Are you an automobile mechanic? Drywall? An office worker? Garbage collector? Nurse?

I'll bet you could brush your hands in a bowl of 3% hydrogen peroxide, brushing the complete area with an appropriate duration. Don't rinse in water. Leave brush in bowl. One cloth drying towel will last you all day. Assuming pen and paper work.

It should promote hand crack healing. Let us know.
I'm retired, so no problems there. I' not going to be paranoid over this virus, so, I think I'll just keep using only water.

At one time - 10 years ago - my hands used to crack so badly, they used to bleed. One day I put some warmer clothes on and turned the heating down a lot. That cured the problem overnight, it must have been the dry air causing the problem.

Many thanks for your reply:)

LCarlson

Administrator
Nov 12, 2019
Visit site
Water alone is better than not washing, absolutely. There are also a number of hand sanitizers out there that will not dry out or your skin as much as most soaps. I hope you find a solution that works well for you.

Feb 28, 2020
Visit site
Water alone is better than not washing, absolutely. There are also a number of hand sanitizers out there that will not dry out or your skin as much as most soaps. I hope you find a solution that works well for you.
Thanks, but I was wondering, specifically, if heat is enough to destroy germs, since I think milk is pasteurised at 60'C, and my dishwasher is also 60'C. Not having a thermometer, I don't know what the maximum temperature I could tolerate is, but I guess 55 or 60.

I suspect if it was good enough we would have been told.

Many thanks for your reply:)

We can sense changes in vision and hearing pretty quick. But sensing temperature change by touch requires a duration. We define "hot" to touch with this duration.

I would NOT try rinsing my hands for 20 seconds with 140 F water.

Some say 2 sec at 140 and some say 5 sec of 140 without skin damage. Hotter that that needs to be protected from touch. A guard or insulation required. At 140 and lower, one has enough time to remove hand safely before damage. Bare pipe.