Question How Prepared For A Coronavirus Quarantine Are You?

mknott

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 12, 2019
Visit site
With recommendations that people self quarantine for 14 days in the event they come into contact with Coronavirus, how prepared are you?

Personally, this isn't something that I've ever given much thought to. Being prepared to my mind was more about natural disasters, not something Northern Ireland is known for, than sickness.

With that said I've been thinking about it a lot recently and have decided that having something on hand makes sense. I'm aiming to have plenty of rice and beans with a good supply of vitamins. Most definitely not panic buying, but I feel it's a sensible precaution.

Likewise, I've got a solid supply of toilet paper and hand sanitizer. Those are items that I've read tend to run low very quickly

How about you, do you have a plan of action or any food already stored in the event you need to remain inside for two weeks or longer? How would you spend the time?

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2020
Visit site
Same here. As a European who lives in the US, I admit I have always dismissed such thoughts and trends as "crazy prepper talk", based more in certain aspects of American culture than reality. But COVID has me thinking along these lines as well, especially since living in this country in general seems much more precarious and unpredictable compared to Europe.

Jan 4, 2020
Visit site
I've had a "prepper cupboard" for about two years and it has nothing to do with nuclear attack or paranoid beliefs. The older you get, the more you'll do the same, ladies and gentlemen. A couple of years ago I realized that I'm getting old and some days (or even weeks) can't get out to do more than a few day's worth of shopping. When I was young, I was amused by my grandmother's massive supply of toilet paper and canned goods, but no longer. My son teases me and came up with the prepper cupboard name for my supply, but he might be begging me for a precious jar of spaghetti sauce for his kids some day! :spaghetti:

Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
I live in California where in the past the power would go off for up to a week in winter so because of this and potential for natural disasters i've always kept at least a weeks worth of products at home. Now that they are turning off the power in summer as well and with the idea of two weeks for corona i only have to stock up a little more but now I will be stocking up on MORE fuel and toilet paper

Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
Same here. As a European who lives in the US, I admit I have always dismissed such thoughts and trends as "crazy prepper talk", based more in certain aspects of American culture than reality. But COVID has me thinking along these lines as well, especially since living in this country in general seems much more precarious and unpredictable compared to Europe.
it wasn't to long ago that many Americans lived outside of cities and literally stocked up only once a month. Even as a child my mother only shopped once a month. It is a form of prepping but its just the way we lived and budgeted our lives especially if you were a farmer, it had little to do with survival. That said my Grandfather had an awesome bomb shelter during the early stages of the nuclear war threats of the 60's

Feb 27, 2020
Visit site
With recommendations that people self quarantine for 14 days in the event they come into contact with Coronavirus, how prepared are you?

Personally, this isn't something that I've ever given much thought to. Being prepared to my mind was more about natural disasters, not something Northern Ireland is known for, than sickness.

With that said I've been thinking about it a lot recently and have decided that having something on hand makes sense. I'm aiming to have plenty of rice and beans with a good supply of vitamins. Most definitely not panic buying, but I feel it's a sensible precaution.

Likewise, I've got a solid supply of toilet paper and hand sanitizer. Those are items that I've read tend to run low very quickly

How about you, do you have a plan of action or any food already stored in the event you need to remain inside for two weeks or longer? How would you spend the time?

With regard to the flu, fortunately, we are not talking about electric, water, and basic service disruption. Therefore, we can plan on using our freezer, and do not have to load up on water. Our paper supplies are already purchased in bulk at BJ's and are on hand. Recently, my wife and I planned on loading up supplies sufficient for two or three weeks, or more such that we would not need to leave the house at all. We WILL, though, go to help others in need.

We probably could remain indoors now, without additional provisioning. However, we will stock up on canned goods such as soups, Dinty Moore canned stews which have a great shelf life, and several similar items. A full tank of gas won't hurt, and a spare five gallon container is available. We have absolutely no need to run to the bank for anything, but people should have their affairs in order with bills paid, to eliminate the need for this type of public contact.

Clean up your computer and internet connections to give yourself reliable communication. That is important for us cable-cutters in order to maintain information and entertainment for the period of confinement.

It is highly advisable that you have over the counter medications available to treat the symptoms of a heavy-duty flu. Decongestants can be very helpful as the killing part of the COVED-19 virus is the one-two punch of pneumonia and flu which fill the lungs with fluid while the patient is too weak to cough vigorously, in a small percentage of cases, with fatal results.

Jan 23, 2020
Visit site
I live in FL so preparing for hurricanes is just a natural. We were without power for several days and told not to use the shower or toilette due to the lift stations being out. So I have plenty of food and water on hand always. Last time, I cooked on the grill, made coffee for the neighbors, used my chainsaw to clean up other people's yards, ran my generator for the refrig, tv and internet. No AC but everything else was good. As for Coronavirus, i suspect it is nothing worse than the flu and as long as you wash your hands and stay away from sick people, you should be okay. If you get it, drink plenty of liquids, get plenty of rest and get over it just like you would the flu. All this hype is nothing more than sites wanting more visitors and newspapers wanting more people reading their paper. The flu has already killed magnitudes more than this virus but you never heard anything about that so why now and why this?

Greetings to all; Personally I was taught by my seniors to always be prepared for any type of "situation" that might arise and not be in my control.
I have been watching the "covid" situation to chart it's progress.
Personally I am not worried, one of my "Client" Research Companies has a proven cure for the Virus in their inventory ready to go.
How ever I doubt that they will be asked to distribute it, they are not a "large Pharma Corp."

So under-prepared it's not even funny.:(Need to get on it like yesterday.
Hi, I am afraid you are going to have to settle for "Bland", but liveable. Get a large bag (50 lbs. ) of dried Beans, Rice is already scarese, and plenty of spices. And a large "food grade water Barrel", to store water in if there is any possibility of your water being shut off. Then, any canned or dried and sealed foods you can store. with a little planning you will do well. Your local Power Co., and others may have resources you can access. Make sure everything stores well without Refrigeration.

Reactions: gorgeswalker
Mar 9, 2020
Visit site

Just wash your hands in soapy warm hot water every time after you eat and go to the toilet then you don't need to wash your hands in blood (and of course no handshaking nor kissing).

Nov 18, 2019
Visit site
I don't think it's truly possible to prepare enough for this type of contagion. I personally believe that it is going to have to run its course, because it seems to be carried by people who are asymptomatic or have very mild symptoms. We have to hope that medical teams are able to assist those worst affected. :(

Mar 15, 2020
Visit site
I'm a Certified Business Continuity Professional, and have been Program Manager on several IT Disaster Recovery Systems design and build efforts, so have absorbed sufficient prepper genes to keep a couple months worth of food in the house. So I'd say we are fairly well prepared. Unless the US decides to follow the UK plan and isolate us old folks for four months. Might need some resupply for that.

whilst stocks are a problem already avoiding contact with frequent shop visits means i focused on....

1. baked beans
2. vit c d an echinea supplements
3. garlic
4. bread
5. vegan pet food but about to stock up on lentils rice tvp and their supplements too.

Reactions: BabyFacesSC
Mar 15, 2020
Visit site
I don't know...
I always thought that civilized nations use well established protocols to cut the vectors of infection.
And that :: only the carriers who test positive, will need special care under a quarantined medical facility.
But in all other cases, where people are quarantined by other principles, the outbreak is just an excuse to kill healthy people.
There is no way to test/quarantine people with a virus that infects the host yet the host remains asymptomatic for anywhere from 3 to 37 days. Quarantine should only be for those who are vulnerable and the healthy should be able to go about their days with cautionary measures explained. The horse left the barn way before any restriction was enacted.

Mar 18, 2020
Visit site
I think we (hubby & I with 4 dogs) are prepared. We change things around a bit each year, but the bag gets better every year we do it. If we never need it, that's great! But it didn't cost that much to put together. The bag on wheels was the most exspesive item. The dog jackets & life jackets were used, but they would work. The dry dog food I replace every year as well as our prescriptions (Rx).

4'x18" disaster bag with pockets & zippers full of:
Packaged water (lasts for 20+years)
MRE's -1 week worth
Large sealed tub of stew - 1 week worth
Vit C tablets, Tylenol, etc.
Iodine tablets
Dog dry food (2 weeks worth)
Life jackets (for all, yep, dogs too)
Dog jackets (in case they are cold)
Weather resistant blankets x 2
Poncho's x 4
3 person tent
2 Stalwart hand crank flashlights
First Aid kit which includes our prescription meds for 1 week
The above bag gets restocked 1st of each year with items which may expire.
Medical information papers with emergency contacts.
Waterproof paper, & matches, fire started kit, x2 carbide lamps, rope, twine, small tarp.
TP but the camping style which does not take up room.
The hand crank radio is next to our memory box (holds all our computer saved documents) so it would be quick to grab as well as several HAM radio's & FRS radio's.

There may be other stuff in there, but that's the general idea. I like to be prepared to be on the move & not just prepared to stay at home.

Mar 18, 2020
Visit site
I have the PREVENTION for coronavirus and it is real!
Hi I have the "Cure" available to me, and anyone whom wants it, I have been using a Virus and Bacteria cure invented more than 35 years ago since the time it was invented. So far there is no Virus or Bacteria that it does not stop immediately. And there has never been any buildup of resistance by any pathogen to date. I have taken it as a prophylactic when I knew I was going to be exposed, and never come down with any sickness.
There is volumes of verified research Data about it available on the internet.
MS, Trustee

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2020
Visit site
There is a cure for any Bacteria or Virus infection. One that never has had a resistance buildup, since it was developed. It is available for any one to use whom asks for it. However since it is full spectrum, the big Pharma Companies have been covering it up because there is no High Profit Value in it, they want multiple specific remedies to sell.
Anyone wanting access to the remedy can contact me and I will also provide the published Medical research data location.
MS, Trustee

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2020
Visit site
Personally I believe any one whom does not keep at least 3 months of non-perishable supplies and Food Grade Barrels of water on hand, and keep a full tank of fuel in their personal transport, is irresponsible and asking to become a victim. Or make their family victims.
I am always amazed at the people whom wait until the last minute and rush to buy food, supplies etc. just before a Storm or other phenomenon is about to hit them.
MS, Trustee

Mar 18, 2020
Visit site
I live in FL so preparing for hurricanes is just a natural. We were without power for several days and told not to use the shower or toilette due to the lift stations being out. So I have plenty of food and water on hand always. Last time, I cooked on the grill, made coffee for the neighbors, used my chainsaw to clean up other people's yards, ran my generator for the refrig, tv and internet. No AC but everything else was good. As for Coronavirus, i suspect it is nothing worse than the flu and as long as you wash your hands and stay away from sick people, you should be okay. If you get it, drink plenty of liquids, get plenty of rest and get over it just like you would the flu. All this hype is nothing more than sites wanting more visitors and newspapers wanting more people reading their paper. The flu has already killed magnitudes more than this virus but you never heard anything about that so why now and why this?
I hope you were able to obtain a "Propane/Natural Gas Conversion" for your Generator. Propane stores forever, and a tap for your Natural Gas line would be good.

Mar 18, 2020
Visit site

Go to the "Bulk Food Store" and buy some 5 gallon food storage buckets and some "oxygen packets" to put inside them to long term store your dried foods. They also stack well!!

Mar 24, 2020
Visit site
My preparation is a little bit different from what you guys see in the evening news. Sure food are important, but the supermarkets keep on opening. So I don't need to stockpile essential foods. There is one particular food that I want to have. This I learnt from Oriental medicines. That is the salted plums. The Chinese and Japanese have made a salted plums for coughing. When a teenager has a coughing problem, an Oriental physician will give it a salted plum. The salt in the plum will kill the germs, bacteria, viruses that have entered the body of the teenager through its mouth. It worked all the time. If I stay home, I don't need it. But if I have to go out, then I have one in my mouth. The Japanese name for a salted plum is umeboshi. Some Japanese even eat it with rice in a meal. I put one umeboshi in my mouth, salivate plenty of saliva to dilute the salty taste and slowly swallow back my saliva. I eat it like like people eat a candy. And I can have only one for a whole day. My motto: One umeboshi a day will keep the virus away. I have one in my mouth and can still talk to people. They do not even notice that I have something in my mouth. In the West, one can eat a bag of potato chips, the salted one. But it's hard to keep all the potato chips in one's mouth the whole day and can still talk to other people. Salt is a virtue food. That is why Jesus Christ has said to us: " you are the salt of the Earth." In modern time, people forget this wisdom. Also some people have heart problem or high blood pressure, so they cannot indulge in eating salt. For a vegetarian like me, I have no problem taking salt. So I have no fear of viruses. Let them come, the salt in my plum will zap them and make them waste.

Reactions: Ilakkiya