How long can the new coronavirus last on surfaces?

Feb 28, 2020
Visit site
I am wondering with so many products coming from China is there the possibility of someone getting infected from ordering something from Amazon or the internet when it comes from China or another country. Does our country have rules and regulations for decontaminating goods that come into the country besides food. I know sometimes we irradiated food to kill contaminants that come in through the borders.

Feb 28, 2020
Visit site
I am wondering with so many products coming from China is there the possibility of someone getting infected from ordering something from Amazon or the internet when it comes from China or another country. Does our country have rules and regulations for decontaminating goods that come into the country besides food. I know sometimes we irradiated food to kill contaminants that come in through the borders.
I was wondering also ,so sprayed mine with bleach, but generally is taking 20 or more days to reach u.s.. Also I had seen recently, think post office website flights to China suspended I believe. So if last 9 days we should be safe

z.m

Mar 4, 2020
Visit site
i think that it has its danger as well
and chinese ppl need to change their eating behavior you know
so why buy something dangerous and by from dangerous ones if they dont mind about others health ?

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site

My thinking is this...purchase what you want from amazon, but let it sit on your porch or just inside the door for 9 days before opening it or touching the box. If you do that, you're likely to be safe.

Mar 15, 2020
Visit site
Hi, I think it would be safer if you disinfect everything you got from stores or delivery. I am from China and every time we received a package from internet shopping we would first place it in open area for a day or two and use alcohol to disinfect it; and I think that the virus is getting crazier in America as well, so... it's always nice to have decontaminated by yourself, just in caseO(∩_∩)O

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
This is all that I was looking for. I surprisingly couldn't find it anywhere. You're ahead of the game, "LiveScience". Keep it up and please post some graphs, easy to use/visible data for everyone on this. Would love to share with grandparents, etc. Apologies if I'm missing it.

Reactions: sward
Mar 17, 2020
Visit site

They believe that the virus can last as long as 9 days on plastic and metal surfaces. It takes at least a month for stuff to get here from China, so most likely it would not spread through products being sent over to US from China.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
I don't think you should be worried about stuff from china unless it comes within a week by express post.
But most packages takes 2-3 months from china.... by then, the virus has already been dead for quite a while.

Not all surfaces are the same. While your pet may not actually catch COV-19 and become a new source of COV-19...

BUT your pet is a warm surface near optimal temperatures for extending the life of COV-19 on its fur. And that Chinese dog probably had COV-19 virus from its owner in its nose. The interior and exit of pets nose would especially extend the life of virus landing there as its both warm and moist. Again not a location leading to the active growth of new COV-19.

Really hard surfaces to disinfect without hurting your pet. Fortunately few people explore their pet's nose regularly. Unless you are a small kid then all bets are off.

Bottomline: Do NOT let those outside your household touch your pet while COV-19 is a threat.
Keep pets inside or confined where you control who pets them. Inside yourself household, COV-19 will get on pets from household members. Probably only a big worry if any member particularly vulnerable to serious complications has not yet got COV-19 but other members are positive.

Last edited:
A major unadvertised aspect of surface transmission is the use of physical monetary exchanges. Cash can pass through several hands per day - currently without comment even by mask wearers. Most people only become "filthy lucre" aware when a sweaty jogger or laborer pulls a sweat soaked bill out of their sweaty pocket.

Electronic online transactions are perfectly COV-19/biological virus safe.

But paper money is really not practical to sterilize without inhibiting normal circulation or ruining bills. Coins could go through sterilizing solution and dried fairly easily without much delay. Vending machines and coin counters just need a tank and dry stage added.

Credit cards are nearly as easy as coins with adjustments to avoid dissolving magnetic stripes and avoid use of wet metal contact surfaces directly with electric readers (?spray and wipe disinfecting?) OVer self-swipe and disinfect card readers with sames class of issues.

Its really surprising not much has been said given cash has long been touted as the potential terrorists preferred means of worldwide virus distribution. Just buy lots of stuff in every major airport to which you can travel worldwide as long as you can move about.

Mar 22, 2020
Visit site
Be careful of cash, China are cleaning notes
Agree! I just sold a widget on Craigslist. I handed the widget at arms length, the lady reached out with cash. I held the cash in one hand then opened the door and my wife opened a baggie. The cash is now in the baggie waiting two weeks. Oh and washed hands before touching anything else as recommended.

Mar 22, 2020
Visit site
So this was in the New England Journal of Medicine this past week. What I think it’s suggesting is that there isn’t any viable virus on any surfaces after 72 hours or so... am I reading this wrong? Wouldn’t that mean that a plastic bottle of soda, if left alone for 72 hours, would not need to be sanitized as it would no longer pose a threat?

Mar 22, 2020
Visit site
It is a gross oversight that the survival of the virus on the surface of silver was not tested.
Silver is an ingredient widely used in wound care, and has been known to have superior antimicrobial characteristics for centuries. 500 years ago the Knights of Malta Hospital on the Island used silver utensils to feed the wounded coming back from the Crusades. The Phoenicians stored water in silver lined jars 1,200 years ago to protect it from bacteria. It has been known to destroy the SARS virus on ssurface contact, discovered when that pandemic hit.
So let's get on with it USA in this century!!

Mar 24, 2020
Visit site
Can I disinfect a surface that may be contaminated with Corona virus by quarantining the object for a period of time? (ie: wait until the virus dies on the surface) If this would work, will the virus still die if I quarantine the object in a refrigerator, or if I freeze it? Clearly there are perishable consumables that are not conducive to decontamination by washing in soapy water, and the use of a quarantine period would be preferable. Other objects are also not easy to wash, so a quarantine period might be better, if it works.

Mar 24, 2020
Visit site
i think that it has its danger as well
and chinese ppl need to change their eating behavior you know
so why buy something dangerous and by from dangerous ones if they dont mind about others health ?
It takes so long for things to arrive from China that the virus would be dead by the time they could get here. This is safe.

Mar 24, 2020
Visit site
This is not a problem because of the time it takes for mail to arrive from China. The virus could not survive long enough to get here.

Latest posts