How To 

How Does Bluetooth Work?

PuHhPlu.jpg

It’s in practically every device nowadays. It sends music to your speakers, lets you talk to your mom while you’re driving to work, and makes it easy to switch a show from your phone to your TV. Bluetooth makes the world go round, but how does it do it?

LbEd2ry.jpg

1. Devices need to speak the same language.
When you want your phone to talk to a speaker, or your keyboard to talk to your computer, you have to make sure they can speak the same language. Devices that are Bluetooth enabled contain the right software and hardware to be able to send out, receive, and interpret the signals to and from other Bluetooth devices.

2. A personal area network is created.
A trick to communication is to ensure signals don’t get crossed. If you’re trying to play music on your speaker, it won’t do any good for your phone to be sending information to your neighbor’s speaker. That’s why, when you connect two Bluetooth devices, they form what is called a piconet (personal area network). This way, no other devices can connect due to the unique address the piconet uses.

ZWsIPy7.jpg

3. It all comes down to radio waves.
Bluetooth signals transmit via radio waves in about the 2.45 gigahertz range. These signals are designed to be quite weak so as to limit their range. This reduces the chance of interference with other devices.

I read up on bluetooth, and decided to reduce all the cords around my computer and TV speakers. About a year ago I set it all up. It was a nightmare. I assumed it was the high software overhead. I could never get the audio to sync with the video. And there were delays with my mouse and keyboard.

I got rid of it all, and went to non bluetooth rf devices, and all my troubles went away and returned to instant responses for my peripherals.

I even replaced them with new updated versions of bluetooth. Some said the new versions had corrected these problems. But it did not help.

Has anyone else experienced such problems?