How Does Artificial Intelligence Work?

Artificial intelligence is a phrase that will get you different reactions in different circles. In the tech world, it’s the next big thing that will take society beyond anything we could have imagined. For doomsdayers, it’s a future filled with robots destroying everything we’ve worked for. A lot of fear comes from the unknown, so to dispel any wild ideas and begin to think about the true power of AI, let’s find out how it works.

1. The goal of artificial intelligence is to allow machines to replicate human reasoning.
First, why AI? Why are we putting so much effort into it? The intention of artificial intelligence is to be able to give machines the ability to “think” like we do. Human cognitive abilities are complex and convoluted, which makes training a machine more difficult. The reason we use machines is to help us get things done, and the less we have to baby them through more difficult projects that require a level of intelligence, the more we can accomplish.

2. Everything’s in the data.
AI learns through data. Data is at the heart of the operation, and any type of artificial intelligence is only as good as the information it is given. Algorithms tell the machine how to work through that data, and the algorithms are created by people to solve a problem. Artificial intelligence works according to the steps outlined by the algorithm in order to process the data. Over time, the AI will learn to identify patterns which can help it work more efficiently.

3. The possibilities in AI are endless.
There are many subfields of AI, and they all have their own applications and methods of teaching the AI. Deep learning, for example, is the hot topic currently, and it can be applied to speech and image recognition. The future of AI is only growing, and it will continue to find its way into a multitude of fields.

Apr 17, 2020
SaraRayne
Please excuse my asking you on this quiet thread, but I see here it is easy to drop graphics into the box and it works fine. On space.com the boxes accept addresses but not images directly - at least I can't find a way.
Do you know if images can be dropped into space.com?
Thank you. Cat :)

ASK THE COMMUNITY