How can scientific knowledge help someone in his daily life ?

Oct 16, 2020
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I wanted to ask this question in the "Live Science News Discussions" forum, but for some unknown reason it says that I have insufficient privileges to post threads there. So I'll ask it here, and if someone can move my post to that forum it will be great.

So...

Don't get me wrong, I know that science is very important and that it helps us a lot in our life, but my question is how Scientific Knowledge can help to the average man who is not a scientist? For example a simple worker in a factory, or a cashier in the supermarket, why should they learn biology, chemistry, physics, astronomy, cosmology and other scientific fields? What practical use do they have with this knowledge at home? Or at work? Why do they need it?

(I'm talking about popular science level knowledge)

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2020
Visit site
Hi,

Usually the average person needs to learn those subject in high school to have a basic understanding of reality and how the world works. There are some people on social media that believe in conspiracy theories like flat earth and chemtrails which are both false. A basic science education could solve this problem. Understanding reality is the main goal of science. Science is a body of knowledge and everyone needs to understand it at a high school level to be productive in society. I will say that for math as well. I am talking about basic science, not advanced subjects like astronomy and advanced physics that they might not need.

Here is a good explanation for you. Firstly, science helps our understanding of the world around us. Everything we know about the universe, from how trees reproduce to what an atom is made up of, is the result of scientific research and experiment. Human progress throughout history has largely rested on advances in science.

Oct 16, 2020
Visit site
Hi,

Usually the average person needs to learn those subject in high school to have a basic understanding of reality and how the world works. There are some people on social media that believe in conspiracy theories like flat earth and chemtrails which are both false. A basic science education could solve this problem. Understanding reality is the main goal of science. Science is a body of knowledge and everyone needs to understand it at a high school level to be productive in society. I will say that for math as well. I am talking about basic science, not advanced subjects like astronomy and advanced physics that they might not need.

Here is a good explanation for you. Firstly, science helps our understanding of the world around us. Everything we know about the universe, from how trees reproduce to what an atom is made up of, is the result of scientific research and experiment. Human progress throughout history has largely rested on advances in science.

Good answer, but can you give me a practical example of how a popular science level knowledge in biology, chemistry, physics, astronomy and other popular scientific fields can help someone in his/her daily life?

Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
Why do they need it?

They don't need it.

They can simply live out their lives in ignorance, as they do now. And as is well known, ignorance is bliss. Why should they distract from their blissful lives learning about all the complexities of science when they can enjoy such remarkably fascinating things like "Dancing With the Stars", endlessly etc.?

Some of us would have wanted the multitudes to understand science, so they would understand such things as climate change, controlling pandemics, who to vote for, etc. But that same "some of us" don't hope for miracles, like so many of the uninformed do.

Instead, their ignorance is best for them and their bliss. For their own lives, they don't need to know much more than scanning items in a checkout lane, or how to work the remote for the big TV.

How do you define knowledge? Do you know what matter is? Why light is at constant speed? Why a leaf falls? No one else does. What we know does not come from knowledge and understanding. What we know only comes from comparing relationships. If we had knowledge, we could build matter and start life. We could fall up. But we can't do it, because we lack the knowledge.

What little we have is "how"......not "why". So right now, knowing how is how we live. For most, knowing how is knowledge..........asking why is for crackpots.

How has teased me all my life, until I found why.

It doesn't. The tools OF Science do.

@Hayseed : I have long expressed our existence consists of how, not what, which makes why irrelevant. Seems you have something else on that last. Sport me, bro.

My why is a reference to understanding why, not just how......matter interacts. To do that, there has to be a structure and a dynamic to particle mass. Probability and randomness can not exist.

My why is not why we have matter or a universe. It's not the "BIG" why.

@Hayseed : ah. Yes, I thought over this conceptual thing earlier, and concluded with 'nothing happens out of why, except in the mind of one inclined'. Goes along with 'is-ness'. Outside of the occasional colloquial/vernacular, I do not use 'is/are', 'be', etc. Instead I use due to, from, according to, consists of, constitutes.....etc.

Last edited: