Hope diamond formed stunningly close to Earth's core

Jun 22, 2020
Visit site
Mantle is between crust and liquid INNER core right?

There is an upper and lower mantle, the upper mantle being more plastic thus allowing continents to drift, the lower mantle is solid and contacts the liquid outer core. The inner core is thought to be solid due to gravitational pressure. Information is primarily based on seismic wave interpretation.

Reactions: TorbjornLarsson
generally, I have very little interest in diamonds because they are incredibly common and overpriced. Plus, they just aren't as beautiful as other stones.

However, back in High School, I visited the Smithsonian and saw the Hope diamond personally. Damn, that thing was as big as my eye!
I really am glad to learn something new about this diamond all these decades later. I wonder if the great size of it is related to the location of it's "birth"

May 5, 2020
Visit site
There is an upper and lower mantle, the upper mantle being more plastic thus allowing continents to drift, the lower mantle is solid and contacts the liquid outer core. The inner core is thought to be solid due to gravitational pressure. Information is primarily based on seismic wave interpretation.

The upper mantle is more plastic, but the lower mantle is not solid, merely less plastic. Else deep quakes would not be constrained to current and former plate boundaries. ("Deep quakes", here, are quakes below plates and continents. "Shallow quakes", by contrast, are quakes within plates, plate boundaries, and continents.)

Solids don't deform under stress; they fracture. As the planet cools, it is shrinking. The lack of deep quakes due to shrinkage in areas away from plate boundaries shows that even the lower mantle is plastic. It deforms smoothly despite the shrinkage. The presence of deep quakes at current and former plate boundaries, instead of everywhere, shows that the subducted plate material is the cause of the quakes.

Thus, your argument is incomplete.

Jun 22, 2020
Visit site
The upper mantle is more plastic, but the lower mantle is not solid, merely less plastic. Else deep quakes would not be constrained to current and former plate boundaries. ("Deep quakes", here, are quakes below plates and continents. "Shallow quakes", by contrast, are quakes within plates, plate boundaries, and continents.)

Solids don't deform under stress; they fracture. As the planet cools, it is shrinking. The lack of deep quakes due to shrinkage in areas away from plate boundaries shows that even the lower mantle is plastic. It deforms smoothly despite the shrinkage. The presence of deep quakes at current and former plate boundaries, instead of everywhere, shows that the subducted plate material is the cause of the quakes.

Thus, your argument is incomplete.

That is a very astute answer, however, the nature of the original question warrants brevity.

Mar 29, 2020
Visit site
Mantle is between crust and liquid INNER core right?
Crust, outer mantle, inner mantle, liquid outer core, solid inner core.
Usually there isn't a distinction made between inner and outer mantle. In this case, they are saying most diamonds form at the bottom of the crust/top of mantle, but these few form at the bottom of the mantle, near the inner core.
The layers are known from seismic data, The seismic waves are refracted and reflected when they hit layer boundaries, and one kind of wave doesn't travel through liquids. Many years of seismic records allow a somewhat detailed map to be made.
The reason the inner core is solid, even though it's hotter the deeper you go is that the pressure is so great that even with the heat, the iron is forced into a solid.

Reactions: TorbjornLarsson
Nov 13, 2020
Visit site
I have once read that the Hope diamond is a cursed diamond because along the lines of people who have worn that diamond has all died while wearing it. I wouldn't really believe it though.