Health effects of noise pollution are fatal (Norilsk scientist A.Mostovoi). How does city noise affect your health?

Jul 13, 2020
Visit site
I’ve recently read an article by A.Mostovoi, scientist from Norilsk, about the influence of noise pollution. Noise pollution according to this researcher has fatal effects.

Do you agree with it?

Reactions: JAXX1
It can slowly make you mentally unwell from own experience of it i use to live in a place where i would hear emergency services driving past , people coming out of bars screaming and shouting at 3 am and cars going back and forth, and it was affecting me i found it very triggering and upsetting so i moved house and the place i live now is a lot better and mentally i feel calmer and happier as well .

From a personal standpoint, I can say that the first few months I inhabited my home on the fringes of suburbia I noticed the lack of noise I experienced first in the heart of a major city and then in a less dense area of the same city. Sirens, traffic noises, noisy neighbours, honking horns, the constant rattle of rapid transit, emergency equipment's air horns, overhead noise from passing aircraft and helicopters, the squealing of brakes - I could go on.

I now live in a location where I can hear the plaintive honking of geese flying by, my brook crashing over the rocks as it makes its way down to the pond, the chirping of he birds at my feeders, all of which is calming.

Epidemiological studies on noise and blood pressure in children: Observations and suggestions
by Katarina Paunović, Stephen Stansfeld, Charlotte Clark, Goran Belojević

A literature search has identified eight peer-reviewed studies, four conference proceedings and one PhD thesis on the effects of aircraft or road-traffic noise on children's blood pressure published in English in the last 30 years. Most of the studies were cross-sectional, and four studies were longitudinal, with follow-up period from one to three years. The studies were analyzed according to the following methodological issues: study design, children's characteristics, noise exposure assessment and blood pressure measurements. The effects of noise on systolic and diastolic pressure were presented in detail.

Results: Studies on aircraft noise had more uniform methodology, indicating a slight tendency towards a positive relationship between aircraft noise exposure and BP in children. The studies on road-traffic noise were methodologically diverse, but compared to aircraft noise studies they showed a more uniform trend in the direction of a positive relationship with systolic BP. The time, place and number of BP measurements, as well as the devices and cuff sizes varied among the studies. Children's age, gender, body composition and ethnicity, and socio-economic status remain the greatest source of diversity in BP values.

Conclusions: The reviewed studies were methodologically diverse concerning noise exposure assessment, BP measurement, study design and control for confounders. In spite of this, they indicate a tendency toward positive association between noise exposure and children's blood pressure. We recommended strategies that might help researchers adopt similar procedures when measuring BP in future field studies.

See: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21496926/

I have no doubt that continuous noise is detrimental to the listener, especially youth. I hope that further studies are completed.
Hartmann352

health effects from electromagnetic microwaves have health effect too, i got neuropathy from microwaves and radar
How do you know the source of your neuropathy? Do you have some lab analysis to indicate this?

Mayo clinic list of possible causes of Neuropathy -
1703778988526.png
Presumably these were all eliminated in the analysis?

health effects from electromagnetic microwaves have health effect too, i got neuropathy from microwaves and radar
Noise is unwanted and/or harmful sound, first recognized as a public health hazard in 1968.

The Noise Control Act of 1972 declared that “it is the policy of the United States to promote an environment for all Americans free from noise that jeopardizes their health or welfare.” The promise of that legislation remains unfulfilled 50 years later. Human exposure to harmful noise levels is widespread.

Major sources of noise include transportation, military aircraft and combat operations, noisy recreational vehicles, industrial machinery, recreational and leisure activities, outdoor power equipment, consumer products, electronic sirens and wind turbines.

Loud noise causes hearing loss and tinnitus and can contribute to non-auditory health problems. Chronic noise, even at low levels, can cause annoyance, sleep disruption, and stress that contribute to cardiovascular disease, cerebrovascular disease, metabolic disturbances, exacerbation of psychological disorders, and premature mortality.

Noise interferes with cognition and learning, contributes to behavior problems, and reduces achievement and productivity. The health of more than 100 million Americans is at risk, with children among the most vulnerable. Noise-related costs range in the hundreds of billions of dollars per year. Yet, the United States has no federal standards for non-occupational noise exposure. Federal standards for occupational noise exposure from the 1970s address only hearing loss as an adverse health effect and do not apply to all workers (e.g., those in agriculture and construction). Calls for action have gone largely unheeded.

Long-term exposure to traffic noise has been linked to a greater risk of heart disease. New research reveals additional clues about this connection.

Researchers studied nearly 500 adults over a five-year period and gathered traffic and aircraft noise data for each person's home address. After adjusting for other factors that contribute to cardiovascular risk (including air pollution), they found that every 5-decibel increase in the average 24-hour noise level was associated with a 34% increase in heart attacks, strokes, and other serious heart-related problems.

By using a specialized brain imaging technique, researchers showed that higher levels of noise exposure were associated with increased activity in the amygdala, the area of the brain involved in processing stress, anxiety, and fear. Excess noise also increased inflammation in the arteries, a known trigger for cardiovascular problems. The findings were published Nov. 26, 2019, in the European Heart Journal.

People prone to heart disease should be aware that chronic noise exposure where they live may raise their risk, according to the study's lead author.

See: https://www.apha.org/Policies-and-A...se/2022/01/07/Noise-as-a-Public-Health-Hazard

The term "noise pollution" refers to unwanted or annoying sounds that happen around you. Machinery, amplified music, noisy vehicles, and other things can cause it. If it's loud or long-lasting, noise pollution can damage your hearing. It may also lead to other health problems, including headaches, sleep loss, and even high blood pressure. And it can stress you out, make you less productive, and decrease your quality of life.
Hsartmann352

Reactions: JAXX1