Grand Canyon Strata

Aug 3, 2020
I watched a show that asked the following question. Why are the strata of rock layers seen in the Grand Canyon smooth? Should they be much more a set of peaks and valleys in the strata due to erosion? Would someone be able to explain this to me. If I am not clear as to what I am asking, please let me know and I’ll rephrase the question.

Feb 19, 2020
The rock strata in the Grand Canyon are not smooth close-up. Even at a distance, when viewed at the same level, they are not sets of peaks and valleys. And, at the bottom there is an erosional unconformity, a discontinuity below which the strata are at a steep angle. These are the oldest rocks, Precambrian in age, that were uplifted and eroded before the others were added one-by-one over millions of years. There are no vertebrate animals preserved in the Grand Canyon sediments and nothing but microbes at the bottom. A strong natural exhibit in support of biological evolution.

Mar 29, 2020
most of the strata in the grand canyon are sea bed deposits, also, the processes that create peaks and valleys on the surface of the landscape are uplift and then partial erosion. When strata are laid down, they are going to be relatively flat, either seabed, or alluvial deposits, are basically processes where things get flatter, high stuff moving to the lowest points.

Feb 19, 2020
most of the strata in the grand canyon are sea bed deposits, also, the processes that create peaks and valleys on the surface of the landscape are uplift and then partial erosion. When strata are laid down, they are going to be relatively flat, either seabed, or alluvial deposits, are basically processes where things get flatter, high stuff moving to the lowest points.
The Grand Canyon deposits are not peaks ands valleys when viewed from across the canyon regardless of later erosion. The same rocks occur on both side of the canyon. The erosion by the river left them alone...the so-called layer-cake stratigraphic geology.

Mar 29, 2020
The Grand Canyon deposits are not peaks ands valleys when viewed from across the canyon regardless of later erosion. The same rocks occur on both side of the canyon. The erosion by the river left them alone...the so-called layer-cake stratigraphic geology.
Yes, I was reading the question as "why are they layer cake, and not having peaks and valleys in the layers" and was trying to explain why most strata is layer cake like.

ASK THE COMMUNITY