Question Expanding Space and changes in Galaxy speed

Dec 30, 2019
Visit site
Can an unpowered object pick up speed if the environment it is traveling in (gravity or other unknown viscosity) lessens? I can see a steel ball thrown through the air would slow down if it hit water; would the opposite be true too? If there was less "stuff" as a galaxy moves away would it increase in speed? Sorry for the poor phrasing.

No because there would be no accelerating force vector. Imagine your steel ball rolling down a steep portion of a small 'roller coaster' that turns into a perfectly flat frictionless track. The ball's velocity wouldn't change either way after that transition because of Newton's 3rd law.

Reactions: wdm1234
Dec 30, 2019
Visit site
No because there would be no accelerating force vector. Imagine your steel ball rolling down a steep portion of a small 'roller coaster' that turns into a perfectly flat frictionless track. The ball's velocity wouldn't change either way after that transition because of Newton's 3rd law.
Thank You. Started reading about N3rd, still fuzzy(me not you). I push the ball with enough force to move it ten feet in 2x gravity. After moving five feet the gravity changes to 1x: the ball would move farther but not faster?
Thank you again for answering a physics for the uneducated question.

Sorry, I'm not grasping your question. Are you talking about 'pushing' the ball in a horizontal direction (at right angles to the apparent gravity vector)? In my example, that situation would make gravity null and void....unless it were increased enough to deform the ball to an oblate spheroid in which case its velocity would decrease because of vertical translations. I think you might like to read up on the FIRST law...that will give you more insight into the question. I probably should have used that in my reply. And A still equals F / M as in the 2nd...in the 'normal' world although not necessary at quantum levels.

Dec 30, 2019
Visit site
Again Thank You for time and effort. I will study up on N1. I am now thinking the beginning would be a good place to start. I will do my homework.
My question inbrief: the universe is expanding and it appears to be accelerating as it goes. This would, to a simpleton (me), seem to require some kind of push or pull to account for the speed change thing. Or maybe just a galaxy slinging kind of whip crack speed thing. Anyway, as the parts of the U expand there would be less gravity or other stuff to hold it to a particular speed. And maybe with less gravity time would speed up, light would speed up and away it goes.

Gravity has its own force generated by mass and it extends as a weak interaction throughout the known universe. Time slows the further away from a gravitational field time slows down. Stand on the earth and time accelerates stand in the vacuum of space and time slows it is clocked in nano seconds none the less it slows. Motion of an object creates friction and entropy for that object whether it is in vacuum field or not. Look at the tail of a comet or a meteorite they burn up their energy and mass a little at a time.
To role a ball continuously would require you get rid of fiction and you would have discovered perpetual motion but that has not occurred at present time. Time is a dimension; you can have time without any forces, but you cannot have time without any forces. Light is a constant speed nether decreasing or increasing, light speed is about 186,282 miles per second. Hope this helps your understanding of things.

Gravity has its own force generated by mass and it extends as a weak interaction throughout the known universe. Time slows the further away from a gravitational field time slows down. Stand on the earth and time accelerates stand in the vacuum of space and time slows it is clocked in nano seconds none the less it slows. Motion of an object creates friction and entropy for that object whether it is in vacuum field or not. Look at the tail of a comet or a meteorite they burn up their energy and mass a little at a time.
To role a ball continuously would require you get rid of fiction and you would have discovered perpetual motion but that has not occurred at present time. Time is a dimension; you can have time without any forces, but you cannot have time without any forces. Light is a constant speed nether decreasing or increasing, light speed is about 186,282 miles per second. Hope this helps your understanding of things.

So could it be said that astronauts on a space station will age slower? I have always thought how odd that would be to be in space and never see the sun go up and down.

Time is considered a dimension, space is a vacuum. Time slows in space due to weak gravitational fields.

How would it react to the body though? Say you have twins. At 20 years old one twin lives in space for 40 years and one twin stays back on Earth for the same amount of time. Do you think their would be any difference in the rate they have aged? That would sure be a good study to do I think.

The one on earth would be long gone, I am talking about moving away from earth. Gravity is a force particle if it exist. They are currently looking for what they call a graviton particle it is like looking for the Higgs boson. They can,t see it but they know it's there. They are weak interactive particle s with heavy mass.

Reactions: Truthseeker007
The one on earth would be long gone, I am talking about moving away from earth. Gravity is a force particle if it exist. They are currently looking for what they call a graviton particle it is like looking for the Higgs boson. They can,t see it but they know it's there. They are weak interactive particle s with heavy mass.

Could it be the particles are in another dimension like the 4th since we can't see them? Kind of reminds me of the shadow people that are seem. You can see the shadow but nothing there.

Comets are small, easily broken, erratically shaped bodies composed mostly of a mixture of water ice, dust, and carbon- and silicon-based compounds. They have highly oval orbits that frequently bring them very close to the Sun and then swing them far into space back into the Oort Cloud.

Comets have three distinct parts: a nucleus, a coma, and a tail. The solid core is called the nucleus, which develops a coma with one or more tails when a comet approaches the Sun. The coma is the dirty, nebulous cloud around the nucleus of a comet, and the tail extends from the comet and points away from the Sun due to the pressure of the solar wind. The coma and tails of a comet are brief features, present only when the comet is near the Sun.

A comet has two tails―a dust tail and an ion (gas) tail. The pressure of sunlight and high-speed solar particles (solar wind) can blow the coma dust and gas directly away from the Sun, sometimes forming a long, bright tail. As the comet approaches the sun, solar warming causes the comet to outgas more copiously and brightly. It is estimated that a comet loses between 0.1 and 1 percent of its mass each time it orbits our Sun as a result of the sun's actions.

Image below from setterfield.org

Dec 30, 2019
Visit site
So why is the universe expanding faster and faster?