Earth's Magnetic North Pole Continues Drifting, Crosses Prime Meridian

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
I have seen this said in different places that, the earth is a magnet due to
it's molten iron core.
In working with metals, I have observed that iron , heated to temperatures
over red hot are not magnetic which I figured must be due to the total
molecular incoherence which is required for magnets.

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
Maybe there is one huge giant crazy alloy down in the earths guts that makes the north pole magnetic,maybe its moving within the earth liek a bearing.

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
it's molten iron core.
Nelson, I agree. Personally, I do not think the core is Iron. I think it is another material. I would guess it is a yet unknown state of matter. I call it a Super Heated Hyperpressurized Solid. In this state, matter wants to liquify but it cannot because of compression. I would imagine that this does not happen at the core but rather two thirds of the way down to the core. Logically pressure at the core should be zero. I also believe that the core may be metallic hydrogen that is created from this state instead of being found in its normal cryogenic state. ... I also believe that one of the properties of superpressurized solids is that they convert energy into physical matter. We see this in plants but through a different mechanism. ... We as men know only how to create energy from matter via destruction. However, the universe itself must be based on energy to matter conversion. We should see this repeated all over the cosmos. ... The Sun is at a scale where gravity mass causes hydrogen to convert to energy, but the particle energy is able to escape. ... If all this is true then it would align with Abiotic oil theory, where oil is produced by a combination of carbon and hydrogen molecules deep in the earths core. .... This is why so many oil deposits are so far down.

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
I think you mean that it crossed the international date line.

Edit: To clarify, the Newsweek article mentioned in this article talks about how the zero declination line crossed the prime meridian, causing compasses in England to point east of true north instead of west as they have for a long time. However, if you read carefully you'll see that this occurred because the magnetic north pole moved over the 180 degree longitude line, not the prime meridian (which is of course the 0 degree longitude line).

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2019
Visit site
The earth functions like a magnet AND a battery. When you get to the size of our planet, magnetic/gravitational/energy forces behave differently then they do at a smaller scale. The polar caps function like the top and bottom (positive/negative) parts on a battery AND a magnet. Energy flows to/from each end to create our solar wind shield. I won't try to explain it all, but the movement of the molten stuff in the core, against exterior land creates a ton of charge in all the particles, not just the metal. The water covering the majority of our planet and the moon pulling that water to and fro creates further charge with tides, rivers, etc. There is also the daily heating/cooling experienced by the rotation of the planet (but less on the white snow caps), and the yearly rotation around the sun, in addition to the wobble motion through the seasons. Think about how much energy you get in a handhel gyroscope or spinning top, then amplify/multiple it with all the forces above. That energy has to go somewhere! Not to mention all the Hydrogen locked up in the water.

Beware however, if the magnetic sheath drops, that water (Hyrdogen) will be very swiftly dispatched and vaporized and absorbed in to space and by our sun! Venus was tipped on its side, possibly due to one of the poles melting, and Mars had its water stripped way, quite possibly for similar reasons.

When someone said out planet has Goldilocks conditions for life, I wonder if people truly understand the amazing rarity and fragility of it all. The fact that our planet exists in its current wonderful form is such a high odd lottery, and we WON! Yet the fruits of that win are being squandered away, because we are continuing to tinker with it's inner workings and disrupt it's gentle balance from within. Man is VERY powerful now, in aggregate - and it's about time we woke up and realized that collective power and took charge of it, instead of walking around like Deer's in the headlights.

The earth is already bound to one day be pulled in by the sun and become one, we certainly do not need to expedite that process and prematurely liberate all the energy on our rock. Energy has a will, and it wants to be free, we need to recognize that force, and take charge of it. I hate to say it - but Elon Musk is one of few people I can think of that truly understands what's going on. We need to buy ourselves some time, and get to 100% sustainability, and focus on expanding our horizons beyond this planet to create hope for the future of humanity.

Wake up folks, the internet has the capability to help us solve our scaling/greed/growth issues, let's get after it. The time for a new Sustainability Currency is NOW. It's time to re-engineer our society and build a NEW American dream that EVERYONE can aspire to. Zero Carbon, Sustainability, Automation, Shortened Work Hours, Better Quality of Living, and more time for collective growth and development of humanity and our knowledge, and most importantly, more time for FUN!

We can do this. But the existing power structure and greedy money influence has to stop. We will in-fight our way to oblivion if the Sociopath 1% don't start taking bold action. The people are figuring things out, and the current prolonged economic stagnation period should be all the indication necessary that change is coming.

Hoowah.

Reactions: Ty Thomas
Dec 12, 2019
Visit site
Providing a map showing the current, recent past, and projected future locations of the Geomagnetic North pole would have helped the article a great deal. As it was I had to open Google Earth to get an idea of where and how it's moving.
While this is-so far-more a thing of curiosity, a follow-on piece in-depth of what could happen to Earth should the poles flip and how fast this flip might occur would help to clarify any potential risks we might face should this thing happen.
One major occurrence I can envision is the sudden creation of an industry replacing compass cards or reversing the "motor" magnets (usually two or three highly magnetized alloy rods) connected either to the card or needle of a magnetic compass. Pocket compasses could be re-magnetized but cased compasses would need minor surgery to return to proper operation.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2019
Visit site
it's molten iron core.
Molten Iron core + moving semi-solid mantle = dynamic generator = electro-magnetic force. Yes, the core is molten but the emf is generated in the mantle which is (mostly) solid.

Dec 12, 2019
Visit site
I think you mean that it crossed the international date line.

Edit: To clarify, the Newsweek article mentioned in this article talks about how the zero declination line crossed the prime meridian, causing compasses in England to point east of true north instead of west as they have for a long time. However, if you read carefully you'll see that this occurred because the magnetic north pole moved over the 180 degree longitude line, not the prime meridian (which is of course the 0 degree longitude line).
A simple map graphic would have eliminated the misunderstanding.

Dec 17, 2019
Visit site
Providing a map showing the current, recent past, and projected future locations of the Geomagnetic North pole would have helped the article a great deal. As it was I had to open Google Earth to get an idea of where and how it's moving.
While this is-so far-more a thing of curiosity, a follow-on piece in-depth of what could happen to Earth should the poles flip and how fast this flip might occur would help to clarify any potential risks we might face should this thing happen.
One major occurrence I can envision is the sudden creation of an industry replacing compass cards or reversing the "motor" magnets (usually two or three highly magnetized alloy rods) connected either to the card or needle of a magnetic compass. Pocket compasses could be re-magnetized but cased compasses would need minor surgery to return to proper operation.

You "lose" a pole, and life as we know it gets pretty horrific. Think very carefully about what unfiltered cosmic rays and the suns radiation will do to the very delicate life on this fish tank. And I do mean fish tank, without some degree of moisture basically everywhere, NOTHING would survive. Heck, the insect and birds are already dropping like....flies! And that's just from 100ish years of modifying the parts per million balance in the atmosphere by pulling up locked away organic carbon and burning it.

Ever wonder what that big Hexagon on Saturn is? Look no further than the rings. That's the where the debris accumulated after the asteroid struck and created Saturns new pole. Saturn is still in recovery from that event.

The reality is, whatever created all this, it sure did cut us one heck of a break. All the answers we need to all our most difficult questions are right here in our own backyard folks. Think: Serendipity. Everything is with purpose and this is all here for a reason. The universe always lends a hands and helps point you in the right direction, but you DO have to act on that advice/information!

Think critically, look at how AMAZINGLY hostile every other planet/body is in our solar system. Life as we know it simply doesn't stand much chance of anything more than a brief visit. Given the basic mathematics, you'd think mankind would WAKE UP and start treating this fragile flower we call Earth like the lady she truly is.

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
A simple map graphic would have eliminated the misunderstanding.

I agree. But it looks like this site has writers basically rewriting articles they find elsewhere, so it's probably pretty low budget. And most of the comments I've seen so far are just scary. ;)

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
I would think that if the axis of rotation shifts beyond some point,
there might be some very noticeable results.
Looks like the shifting isn't stopping so we will see.

Dec 24, 2019
Visit site
"This model is used to calibrate GPS and other navigation measurements. "

What impact does the magnetic north have on GPS calibration???

GPS relies on the position of magnetic north to function properly. Without this knowledge, you would not know where you are on the earth exactly. If North moves, it means the entire planet has moved with it and therefore satellites in space that provide GPS (Global Positioning System) need to recalibrate so they can provide the correct positioning when relaying the information back to earth. If they didn't recalibrate, and the earth's poles moved 34 miles east for example, then every location on your sat nav would be 34 miles east of it's true location and you would not find yourself in the location you were really in, but instead, in a location 34 miles east of where you actually are.

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
"This model is used to calibrate GPS and other navigation measurements. "

What impact does the magnetic north have on GPS calibration???

I respectfully disagree with the previous post. I believe the coordinates you get from gps are relative to fixed points on earth, and not the magnetic poles. I don't know the answer to your question for sure, but my guess would be that when the article says that the magnetic model is used to calibrate GPS navigation systems, they probably mean that some systems include the ability to display the direction to magnetic north or tell you the compass heading to follow to reach a specific destination, and those things would of course be affected by changes in magnetic north.

Dec 29, 2019
Visit site
The earth functions like a magnet AND a battery. When you get to the size of our planet, magnetic/gravitational/energy forces behave differently then they do at a smaller scale. The polar caps function like the top and bottom (positive/negative) parts on a battery AND a magnet. Energy flows to/from each end to create our solar wind shield. I won't try to explain it all, but the movement of the molten stuff in the core, against exterior land creates a ton of charge in all the particles, not just the metal. The water covering the majority of our planet and the moon pulling that water to and fro creates further charge with tides, rivers, etc. There is also the daily heating/cooling experienced by the rotation of the planet (but less on the white snow caps), and the yearly rotation around the sun, in addition to the wobble motion through the seasons. Think about how much energy you get in a handhel gyroscope or spinning top, then amplify/multiple it with all the forces above. That energy has to go somewhere! Not to mention all the Hydrogen locked up in the water.

Beware however, if the magnetic sheath drops, that water (Hyrdogen) will be very swiftly dispatched and vaporized and absorbed in to space and by our sun! Venus was tipped on its side, possibly due to one of the poles melting, and Mars had its water stripped way, quite possibly for similar reasons.

When someone said out planet has Goldilocks conditions for life, I wonder if people truly understand the amazing rarity and fragility of it all. The fact that our planet exists in its current wonderful form is such a high odd lottery, and we WON! Yet the fruits of that win are being squandered away, because we are continuing to tinker with it's inner workings and disrupt it's gentle balance from within. Man is VERY powerful now, in aggregate - and it's about time we woke up and realized that collective power and took charge of it, instead of walking around like Deer's in the headlights.

The earth is already bound to one day be pulled in by the sun and become one, we certainly do not need to expedite that process and prematurely liberate all the energy on our rock. Energy has a will, and it wants to be free, we need to recognize that force, and take charge of it. I hate to say it - but Elon Musk is one of few people I can think of that truly understands what's going on. We need to buy ourselves some time, and get to 100% sustainability, and focus on expanding our horizons beyond this planet to create hope for the future of humanity.

Wake up folks, the internet has the capability to help us solve our scaling/greed/growth issues, let's get after it. The time for a new Sustainability Currency is NOW. It's time to re-engineer our society and build a NEW American dream that EVERYONE can aspire to. Zero Carbon, Sustainability, Automation, Shortened Work Hours, Better Quality of Living, and more time for collective growth and development of humanity and our knowledge, and most importantly, more time for FUN!

We can do this. But the existing power structure and greedy money influence has to stop. We will in-fight our way to oblivion if the Sociopath 1% don't start taking bold action. The people are figuring things out, and the current prolonged economic stagnation period should be all the indication necessary that change is coming.

Hoowah.
It's fortunate that our planet has such passionate advocates. It's unfortunate that even with information like this, so eloquently laid out in clear and precise detail, the only time the 1% ever takes "bold action" it seems (by virtue of their very nature), has been to enhance their own interests.

If the survival of the earth doesn't fit into that bottom line just right, there hasn't been much we could ever do to shake up or disrupt their personal agendas. Especially when they know they'll be long gone by the time our planet ends up like Venus and Mars.

Reactions: NullStir
Jan 2, 2020
Visit site

The magnetic poles have swapped on numerous occasions over the life of the planet, and is way overdue for another swap going on the average rate of occurrences. The latest estimate is that the southern pole will be near Adelaide, South Australia by the end of this century.

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
Gravity seems to work on everything whereas magnetism only
reacts to select metals
What would be the reason for this?
Are all the planets magnetic or, is gravity the main factor for
keeping them in place?

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
Gravity seems to work on everything whereas magnetism only
reacts to select metals
What would be the reason for this?
Are all the planets magnetic or, is gravity the main factor for
keeping them in place?

Gravity keeps the planets orbiting around the sun.

When you say "what would be the reason for this" I don't know what you're asking. Do you mean "why does gravity work on everything but magnetism doesn't". I'm sure someone else can come up with a technical explanation, buf I think the simple answer is that it's just the way the universe works

If you mean what's the reason for the magnetic pole moving, I think the theory is that currents of molten metal in the earth's core give rise to the earth's magnetic field, so as the currents shift, so does the field.

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
Gravity would seem to be the best force to keep planets in place whether they were magnetic or not.
I would like to see the thinking on the relation between gravity,
magnetism, electricity and even static which can be present even
in non metallic materials.
It seems that the reason for anything is "It is just the way the
universe works" doesn't seem right as it looks to me like
everything we see is either a cause or result and, not the result
of ongoing chaos.
Observing that iron, above its melting point is non magnetic, it
seems the theory of the earths magnetic core should be discarded.

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
Yeah, i know "it's just the way it is" isn't a good answer, but if you're wondering why gravity affects everything with mass and magnetism doesn't, I'm not sure there's a better one. Someone smarter than me could probably talk about the subatomic particles involved, but in the end I don't know if it would be a nore satisfying answer.

You should google the theory of the earth's magnetic field. It's true that molten iron isn't magnetic like solid iron can be, but you can also get a magnetic field from a changing or moving electric field, and vice versa, so the theory has something to do with that.

Could this have something to do with the Dwarf Niburu people are seeing? Could something heavy on the outside of this Earth be causing it? It is all talked about the inside of the planet but what about something in space itself tugging on the Earth?

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
Good point kh, thanks.
I did look it up on google and, while there is a lot of thoughts on
the question, I couldn't see any where the issue was settled.
Will keep looking..