Earth barreling toward 'Hothouse' state not seen in 50 million years, epic new climate record shows

Page 5 - For the science geek in everyone, Live Science breaks down the stories behind the most interesting news and photos on the Internet.
Sep 23, 2020
Visit site
Hi, thanks for the important article. I wanted to point out the following two unit conversion errors:

1) 16 degrees Celsius = 28.8 degrees Fahrenheit (NOT "60 degrees Fahrenheit")
2) 4 degrees Celsius = 7.2 degrees Fahrenheit (NOT "40 F")

(Note that we are talking about temperature differences. So each 1.0C = 1.8F in this context. )

Thanks
- - - - -
(Original article)
... For example, about 10 million years after the dinosaur extinction, Earth jumped from a warmhouse state to a hothouse state. This event, known as the Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum, saw temperatures up to 60 degrees Fahrenheit (16 degrees Celsius) above modern levels, Zachos said, and was driven by a massive release of carbon into the atmosphere, thought to be the result of huge volcanic eruptions in the North Atlantic. Similarly, as carbon dioxide disappeared from the atmosphere over the next 20 million years, ice sheets started to form in Antarctica and the planet entered a coolhouse phase, with surface temperatures averaging about 40 F (4 C) above modern levels. ...
A lot of very confused people commenting here.
They can thank the fossil fuels industry and their proxies for dis-informing them intentionally. A very well documented proven FACT.
---------

[QUOTE=" Another Cult of the Church of Climatology propaganda piece with High Priest Al Goreleone's nod of approval.

Every denier believes dozens if not hundreds of flat out lies and myths about climate science, with ZERO skepticism, and then they wonder why we call them deniers. You are not scientific skeptics by any stretch of the imagination. That is the only Cult here a cult of willful ignorance
[/QUOTE]

Sep 23, 2020
Visit site
Ratwrangler
You are repeating denier nonsense. Human emissions of CO2 equal the total amount from Mt St. Helens every 2 1/2 hours.
The Mt Pinatubo eruption in 1991 was one of the three largest eruptions in the 20th century.
Human emissions of CO2 equal that from Mt Pinatubo every 12 hours

Human emissions of CO2 are 100 times that of all volcanic emissions combined.
[/QUOTEthe oceans make up I am quessing three quarters of the earth surface just think of the area of the ocean floor now imagine a lot of volcanic activity there lots of heat and chemicals there don't you think

Sep 23, 2020
Visit site
Exactly. The text of the piece isn't at all backed up by the facts presented. It isn't CO2, it isn't you, its the sun.
I am saying the emissions from all sources
Are more than has ever been more volcano activity above and below the oceans also nine billion people on this earth no wonder were going nowhere, fast

Sep 10, 2020
Visit site
Now who is really wrong? You are. You have forgotten the 32° adjustment factor. The article is correct.

You wrote:
1) 16 degrees Celsius = 28.8 degrees Fahrenheit (NOT "60 degrees Fahrenheit") + 32° = 60°F as shown.
2) 4 degrees Celsius = 7.2 degrees Fahrenheit (NOT "40 F") + 32° = 40°F. Notice that your 4.2°F is well below the freezing point which is 32°F whereas the 4°C is obviously above freezing.

Edward, I am afraid you are mistaken. Did you read the article? (Hint: The editor of the article has already acknowledged and corrected the errors as I pointed out.) Also I explained this in details in post #71 of this forum thread.
Thanks all the same for your reply/comment, and have a great day!

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2020
Visit site
Hi, thanks for the important article. I wanted to point out the following two unit conversion errors:

1) 16 degrees Celsius = 28.8 degrees Fahrenheit (NOT "60 degrees Fahrenheit")
2) 4 degrees Celsius = 7.2 degrees Fahrenheit (NOT "40 F")

(Note that we are talking about temperature differences. So each 1.0C = 1.8F in this context. )

Thanks
- - - - -
(Original article)
... For example, about 10 million years after the dinosaur extinction, Earth jumped from a warmhouse state to a hothouse state. This event, known as the Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum, saw temperatures up to 60 degrees Fahrenheit (16 degrees Celsius) above modern levels, Zachos said, and was driven by a massive release of carbon into the atmosphere, thought to be the result of huge volcanic eruptions in the North Atlantic. Similarly, as carbon dioxide disappeared from the atmosphere over the next 20 million years, ice sheets started to form in Antarctica and the planet entered a coolhouse phase, with surface temperatures averaging about 40 F (4 C) above modern levels. ...
Try looking on GOOGLE, your conversion figures are WAY OUT! Just looking at a thermometer will prove that!

Oct 14, 2020
Visit site
I agree with you Tim from Seattle. I believe it is human arrogance that would make us think we would have such an impact. The charting even shows how we have been coming out the last ice age, and we are not even close to earth temperature baseline over the last 66 million years.

Reactions: Liam Lucas
Jan 15, 2020
Visit site
Seems like the earth temp was barreling upward for thousands of years before humans established civilizations and pretty much stopped, moved downward during the last 8000 years. So in the last 40 or 50 it is bumping up again. I am much less convinced about anthropogenic climate change after seeing this chart, not more
Oh wow, a Climate Change Denier! I thought they'd all gone extinct, how exciting to see a live one, and still gamely hanging on there despite all the evidence to the contrary! Hang on a moment while I photograph you...you're probably the last of your kind.

Jan 2, 2020
Visit site
Oh wow, a Climate Change Denier! I thought they'd all gone extinct, how exciting to see a live one, and still gamely hanging on there despite all the evidence to the contrary! Hang on a moment while I photograph you...you're probably the last of your kind.
Tim in Seattle is far from the last of the Anthropomorphic Climate Change deniers! There are still millions who do not believe the Marxist led anti business lobby who completely ignore the TRUE causes of the ever changing climate, as shown by REAL climate scientists, but hidden away by the fellow travellers of the Marxist Extinction Rebellion hoodlums. Even NASA has been infiltrated by these con merchants. Much to its disgrace. it wont even accept it's own findings, saying they are irrelevant.

Jan 15, 2020
Visit site
Tim in Seattle is far from the last of the Anthropomorphic Climate Change deniers! There are still millions who do not believe the Marxist led anti business lobby who completely ignore the TRUE causes of the ever changing climate, as shown by REAL climate scientists, but hidden away by the fellow travellers of the Marxist Extinction Rebellion hoodlums. Even NASA has been infiltrated by these con merchants. Much to its disgrace. it wont even accept it's own findings, saying they are irrelevant.
Oh no, this won't do at all - I have all the photographs I need of the Common or Garden Foaming at the Mouth Loony Fringe, thanks Liam! There's more of them about than you could shake a stick at. Just step aside so I can get a piccy of Tim in Seattle before he goes extinct.

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
Edward, I am afraid you are mistaken. Did you read the article? (Hint: The editor of the article has already acknowledged and corrected the errors as I pointed out.) Also I explained this in details in post #71 of this forum thread.
Thanks all the same for your reply/comment, and have a great day!
Sorry this is an old post, and I don't know if youre even going to see this, but I just wanted to point how absolutely wrong you are about the conversion rates.
Not only are you just saying that everyone else everywhere is wrong, according to your messed up logic, but you are trying to persuade others you are right.
Because a google wont convince you, let me explain it to you.
Temperature is an intensive property, meaning it doesn't matter about the quantity present. You can't add intensive properties. If you have 200 mL of water, which has a density of 1.0 g/mL, and we pour an additional 200 mL of water into the container, the density is not now 2.0 g/mL. The volume will be 400mL, because volume is an extensive property, which can be added.
If you think about it longer, you will realise that 0 degrees Celsius and 0 degrees Fahrenheit are not actually the same temperature. For example, temperatures can often hit 100 degrees Fahrenheit in America. Using your logic, this would be 56 degrees Celsius. 56 degrees Celsius as a room temperature is incredibly hot, at the point where it is hazardous to human health. In Australia, schools are closed before 40 degrees Celsius.
Next time, I suggest you do a little research before you post, so you don't mislead others with your incredibly transparent logic.