Earth barreling toward 'Hothouse' state not seen in 50 million years, epic new climate record shows

Page 2 - For the science geek in everyone, Live Science breaks down the stories behind the most interesting news and photos on the Internet.
Sep 11, 2020
Visit site
Ratwrangler
You are repeating denier nonsense. Human emissions of CO2 equal the total amount from Mt St. Helens every 2 1/2 hours.
The Mt Pinatubo eruption in 1991 was one of the three largest eruptions in the 20th century.
Human emissions of CO2 equal that from Mt Pinatubo every 12 hours

Human emissions of CO2 are 100 times that of all volcanic emissions combined.
U are the one repeating nonsense
From the use the word"denier" ,U assume an intellectual omnipotence in your mind that not only isn't universally accepted, but is in reality looked on with contempt by rational people that know none of your so called science is any thing but wishful thinking

Jan 22, 2020
Visit site
A lot of very confused people commenting here.
They can thank the fossil fuels industry and their proxies for dis-informing them intentionally. A very well documented proven FACT.
---------

[QUOTE=" Another Cult of the Church of Climatology propaganda piece with High Priest Al Goreleone's nod of approval.

Every denier believes dozens if not hundreds of flat out lies and myths about climate science, with ZERO skepticism, and then they wonder why we call them deniers. You are not scientific skeptics by any stretch of the imagination. That is the only Cult here a cult of willful ignorance
[/QUOTE]
Climate science is a science in name only and is in fact, anti-science since it is founded on consensus and opinion, the very things that science was created to eradicate.

Sep 11, 2020
Visit site
Sooooo, science can't tell me with any reliability if it's going to rain or what the temperature will be tomorrow, but you know the exact temperatures millions of years ago and now know the exact weather for the next 280 years? I don't think so, but keep on predicting that the world will end in 10 years and letting it pass with nothing happening. People will wake up one day. Maybe by the year 2300.

Reactions: Rodkeh and rbjones
Apr 1, 2020
Visit site
Seems like the earth temp was barreling upward for thousands of years before humans established civilizations and pretty much stopped, moved downward during the last 8000 years. So in the last 40 or 50 it is bumping up again. I am much less convinced about anthropogenic climate change after seeing this chart, not more
Anytime you see a chart legend jump from millions of years to single years you should be suspect of the intent. If you notice, the chart at 2020 is still solid blue and then starts an unbelievable sharp rise in the next one hundred years. Two words in the accompanying article should stand out: "potential" and "projected" rise. Pure speculation about a supposed long term trend.

Reactions: StanRH
I remember that climate science denialists asked why the climate didn't attain the PETM Hothouse conditions - I hope they are happy now: "If CO2 emissions continue unmitigated until 2100, as assumed for the RCP 8.5 scenario, Earth’s climate system will be moved abruptly from the Icehouse into the Warmhouse or even Hothouse climate state." [From the paper figure 2 text.]

Hopefully the climate is also affected by the change in plate tectonics that occurred during that time, they didn't resolve that. "The CENOGRID allows us to scrutinize the state dependency of climate system response to CO2 and astronomical forcing on timescales of 10 thousand to 1 million years (13)."

Reactions: SailRick
Sep 11, 2020
Visit site
I remember that climate science denialists asked why the climate didn't attain the PETM Hothouse conditions - I hope they are happy now: "If CO2 emissions continue unmitigated until 2100, as assumed for the RCP 8.5 scenario, Earth’s climate system will be moved abruptly from the Icehouse into the Warmhouse or even Hothouse climate state." [From the paper figure 2 text.]

Hopefully the climate is also affected by the change in plate tectonics that occurred during that time, they didn't resolve that. "The CENOGRID allows us to scrutinize the state dependency of climate system response to CO2 and astronomical forcing on timescales of 10 thousand to 1 million years (13)."
U're so full of it aren't U

Sooooo, science can't tell me with any reliability if it's going to rain or what the temperature will be tomorrow, but you know the exact temperatures millions of years ago and now know the exact weather for the next 280 years?

I can't tell why you are thinking badly - analogous to weather - but I can tell that humans in general produce good science - analogous to climate.

This thread has too many people expressing opinion instead of accepting the evidence and discussing the paper and its problems (if it has any), even less what we should do about the obvious problem of man made global warming. I responded to two, that should suffice since people globally accept the science at hand (see the Paris agreement, or opinion polls).

Reactions: akirasunbear
Sep 11, 2020
Visit site
U are a hoot
The last thing U alarmist agitators are is decent
U're nothing but a trouble making grifter
U're not going to fool grown ups with your cult rhetoric
dry up
go away
shoo

Jan 22, 2020
Visit site
I can't tell why you are thinking badly - analogous to weather - but I can tell that humans in general produce good science - analogous to climate.

This thread has too many people expressing opinion instead of accepting the evidence and discussing the paper and its problems (if it has any), even less what we should do about the obvious problem of man made global warming. I responded to two, that should suffice since people globally accept the science at hand (see the Paris agreement, or opinion polls).
The evidence says that there is no 'Global" anything, some places are warmer and others are cooler, that is not a global trend and neither We, CO2 nor solar energy have anything whatsoever to do with climate. Climate is determined by the internal heat of this planet and there is nothing we can do to affect that.

The "Chart" is composed of two main parts. The "Observables" on the left and the extended "Non-observables" on the right and it is presented as one factual chart. You can add dog poop to caviar and call it extended caviar but in reality it is merely contaminated caviar. The data set has been contaminated by the impure plastic/fake crystal ball gazing a-la Michael Mann's Climate Gate Exercises.

Reactions: Rodkeh and StanRH
Sep 11, 2020
Visit site
The "Chart" is composed of two main parts. The "Observables" on the left and the extended "Non-observables" on the right and it is presented as one factual chart. You can add dog poop to caviar and call it extended caviar but in reality it is merely contaminated caviar. The data set has been contaminated by the impure plastic/fake crystal ball gazing a-la Michael Mann's Climate Gate Exercises.
U are so right
None of their predictions is based in reality .
They have to keep the scam in play or lose their grants and tenure that they scammed by dint of their screaming lurid "sky is falling " catechism

Reactions: Rodkeh
Apr 12, 2020
Visit site
Scientists used marine fossils and orbital data to recreate 66 million years of climate history. Its shows that climate change is anything but 'normal.'

Earth barreling toward 'Hothouse' state not seen in 50 million years, epic new climate record shows : Read more
Amazing as Al Gore said we were out of the cold decades ago and already 95% of the oldest thickest ice in the Arctic already gone. They said the Sun is was without spots for the first time in five years after 21 days of minimal activity were observed through the course of 2016. And it could take up to 15 years for solar activity to return to normal with extreme weather and freezing temperatures continuing until 2035. So wake me when you decide whose inconvenient truth I should listen to.

Apr 12, 2020
Visit site
If the sun was weaker then and stronger now, would that not attribute higher temperatures on earth due to solar activity?
The Sun is was without spots for the first time in five years after 21 days of minimal activity were observed through the course of 2016. And it could take up to 15 years for solar activity to return to normal with extreme weather and freezing temperatures continuing until 2035. So wake me when you decide whose inconvenient truth I should listen to.

Sep 12, 2020
Visit site
I am much less convinced about anthropogenic climate change after seeing this chart, not more

I am not sure that you can make that conclusion given the change in the scale. If anything, we entered a period of very stable temperatures starting 10k years ago. That all started to fall apart about 100 years ago. If you want to see a scary graph, check out the CO2 "hockey stick" here . https://ourworldindata.org/co2-and-other-greenhouse-gas-emissions
After looking at that google how CO2 is measured. Once you understand that and link the CO2 chart with how CO2 is measured, then I think you will see why there is somewhat of a panic right now. Though I guess it is fine for many to live in ignorant bliss and only start to worry when we actually hit the iceberg and start taking on water.

Reactions: SailRick
Sep 12, 2020
Visit site
Same with this "pandemic" ...

Well .... the pandemic is ultimately natures revenge though we are doing our best to stop nature picking off the old, vulnerable and weak ... because that is what good people tend to do, they look after each other. The question is, if we hold a position that we should just let nature take its course with this virus should we be applying that more broadly to things like Ebola, Smallpox, Cancer etc? We would save a ton of money, but I guess this would go against human nature.

Jan 31, 2020
Visit site
Seems like the earth temp was barreling upward for thousands of years before humans established civilizations and pretty much stopped, moved downward during the last 8000 years. So in the last 40 or 50 it is bumping up again. I am much less convinced about anthropogenic climate change after seeing this chart, not more
----
Hello? Yeah the planet was coming out of the last ice age, and temperatures peaked between 9,000 to 8,000 years ago at the Holocene Climate Optimum, with temperatures similar to now. But the world is now warming at least 10 times faster than when it came out of the ice age.

It took 10,000 years to warm by 5 C. That averages 2,000 years for each 1 C warming.
Global average temperature has increased by 1 C in the last 140 years. Do the simple arithmetic. I got 14 times faster now.

Reactions: amos083
Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
I would be more inclined to believe the whole "Man is causing all global warming" if we had not had any volcanic activity since the Industrial Age started, or forest fires started by lightening strikes, or sunspots.
The point is, there has been a significant rise in CO2 levels after the Industrial Revolution. Blaming global warming on volcanic activity alone, means you assume that, in addition to having volcanic activity *after* the Industrial Revolution, there has not been any volcanic activity *before* it.

Jan 31, 2020
Visit site
U are the one repeating nonsense
From the use the word"denier" ,U assume an intellectual omnipotence in your mind that not only isn't universally accepted, but is in reality looked on with contempt by rational people that know none of your so called science is any thing but wishful thinking

You have repeated a standard denier nonsense LIE about the science. Volcanoes as a source of CO2 are less than 1/100th human emissions. This a very well documented scientific FACT

So, you like other deniers are not practicing any kind of scientific skepticism.

Reactions: william1066
Jan 31, 2020
Visit site
The point is, there has been a significant rise in CO2 levels after the Industrial Revolution. Blaming global warming on volcanic activity alone, means you assume that, in addition to having volcanic activity *after* the Industrial Revolution, there has not been any volcanic activity *before* it.

Sooooo, science can't tell me with any reliability if it's going to rain or what the temperature will be tomorrow, but you know the exact temperatures millions of years ago and now know the exact weather for the next 280 years? I don't think so, but keep on predicting that the world will end in 10 years and letting it pass with nothing happening. People will wake up one day. Maybe by the year 2300.
-------------
NO Scientist ever said they could predict the weather for the next 280 years.
First, you are very confused and ill informed.
Weather and climate are two different things.
Weather is short term variability that is chaotic in nature. Climate is long time frame average conditions that are the context weather happens in. It is hard to predict short term chaotic variability. Projecting long term trends is actually easier. Short term weather changes are but statistical noise in long term trend studies.

And you are wrong about weather forecasting anyway, as it has greatly improved in the last 20 years or so,