Drone on mars

Apr 3, 2021
Hello, I'm surprised that Nasa haven't made a drone controlled by satellite or internet to lift off from mars and have a good look around and come back to be charge back up by solar panels Im sure the faa would complain with that rules Lol and make a google mars map as did with earth, if there is no wind there the mavic mini would been the lightest for rocket to take there would this be possible /

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020
Hello, I'm surprised that Nasa haven't made a drone controlled by satellite or internet to lift off from mars and have a good look around and come back to be charge back up by solar panels Im sure the faa would complain with that rules Lol and make a google mars map as did with earth, if there is no wind there the mavic mini would been the lightest for rocket to take there would this be possible /

Chrisser, have you been following the NASA/JPL helicopter which is slated to fly on Mars ca. April 11?
I'm not sure that a drone would work on Mars because the Martian atmosphere is so thin compared to Earth's.

Please follow the news for NASA/JPL's Ingenuity helicopter, which has been specially constructed to fly in the thin Martian atmosphere.

See: https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/missions/ingenuity

ingenuity drops shield.jpg
NASA's Perseverance rover has dropped the debris shield that covered the Mars helicopter Ingenuity, a step toward the little chopper's deployment and flight. This photo taken by Perseverance was tweeted out by the rover's official Twitter account on March 21, 2021. (Image credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech)

Ingenuity extends.jpg
A new image taken a day later shows Ingenuity in the vertical position getting ready to be dropped by Perseverance.(
Supplied: NASA/JPL-Caltech)

anatomy-of-mars-helicopter.jpg
NASA's Ingenuity helicopter was folded up underneath the Perseverance rover.
(Supplied: NASA/JPL-Caltech)

See: https://www.space.com/ingenuity-mars-helicopter-flight-delayed-april-11

I can't wait to see the first helicopter to fly on another planet, brought to us by NASA/Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, CA.
Hartmann352

Reactions: bearnard1616

ASK THE COMMUNITY