Drone on mars

Apr 3, 2021
Visit site
Hello, I'm surprised that Nasa haven't made a drone controlled by satellite or internet to lift off from mars and have a good look around and come back to be charge back up by solar panels Im sure the faa would complain with that rules Lol and make a google mars map as did with earth, if there is no wind there the mavic mini would been the lightest for rocket to take there would this be possible /

Last edited:
Hello, I'm surprised that Nasa haven't made a drone controlled by satellite or internet to lift off from mars and have a good look around and come back to be charge back up by solar panels Im sure the faa would complain with that rules Lol and make a google mars map as did with earth, if there is no wind there the mavic mini would been the lightest for rocket to take there would this be possible /

Chrisser, have you been following the NASA/JPL helicopter which is slated to fly on Mars ca. April 11?
I'm not sure that a drone would work on Mars because the Martian atmosphere is so thin compared to Earth's.

Please follow the news for NASA/JPL's Ingenuity helicopter, which has been specially constructed to fly in the thin Martian atmosphere.

See: https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/missions/ingenuity

ingenuity drops shield.jpg
NASA's Perseverance rover has dropped the debris shield that covered the Mars helicopter Ingenuity, a step toward the little chopper's deployment and flight. This photo taken by Perseverance was tweeted out by the rover's official Twitter account on March 21, 2021. (Image credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech)

Ingenuity extends.jpg
A new image taken a day later shows Ingenuity in the vertical position getting ready to be dropped by Perseverance.(
Supplied: NASA/JPL-Caltech)

anatomy-of-mars-helicopter.jpg
NASA's Ingenuity helicopter was folded up underneath the Perseverance rover.
(Supplied: NASA/JPL-Caltech)

See: https://www.space.com/ingenuity-mars-helicopter-flight-delayed-april-11

I can't wait to see the first helicopter to fly on another planet, brought to us by NASA/Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, CA.
Hartmann352

Reactions: bearnard1616

bearnard1616

BANNED
Nov 18, 2020
Visit site
Interesting fact that the rotor speed was approximately 5x what would have been needed to lift the same weight here on earth due to the low air pressure/density. They plan on using larger aircraft in the future to move scientific packages around but they will have to have correspondingly fast rotor speeds or larger rotors to compensate for the difference in density.

Reactions: JacobCooper21

bearnard1616

BANNED
Nov 18, 2020
Visit site
That's a pretty great achievement for the Perseverance mission and for whole space exploration area. Excellent work by NASA's scientists and engineers. I guess that this flight will help humans in futher Mars exploration and of course it will help in making the first crewed mission to the red planet

bearnard1616

BANNED
Nov 18, 2020
Visit site
Ingenuity completed its third flight. New image. Ingenuity exprimental helicopter conducting third flight. Reaching much higher than before, I reckon about 10 metres. Also a vastly longer horizontal flight. The take off point was out of the frame to the left. Ingenuitity can be seen in front of the Jezero Crater delta whilst flying. Second image shows Ingenuity landed in a new lovation with the Neretva Vallis (former river valley that flowed into Jezero Crater about 3.5 billion years ago) and Jezero Crater delta in the background. Ingenuity flew for 50 metres.

JacobCooper21

BANNED
Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
Ingenuity has already completed the 4th flight and flew twice more than on the last flight. Ingenuity was in the air for 117 seconds. I won't explain to you why this is a good result; I hope you'll understand. But it's not the last good news about this drone. After all these successful flights, NASA decided to extend the mission of Ingenuity.

bearnard1616

BANNED
Nov 18, 2020
Visit site
Ingenuity had made its` fifth successful flight and landed in new location. It was a one-way flight and during this flight drone gained a new altitude — 10 meters and it was a new record! On the whole, helicopter just started to perform its mission — to explore new sites for rover.

bearnard1616

BANNED
Nov 18, 2020
Visit site
5th flight of Ingenuity was successful and landed in new location. It was a one-way flight and during this flight drone gained a new altitude — 10 meters. IT's a new record. On the whole, helicopter just started to perform its mission — to explore new sites for the rover, and it does it successfully.