Does gravity exist without matter?

Page 2 - For the science geek in everyone, Live Science breaks down the stories behind the most interesting news and photos on the Internet.
Nov 27, 2019
Spacetime is reality. My guess is that the fabric of spacetime is made of virtual mass.
interesting thought. The key seems to be in movement, linear and rotational. If I recall correctly, if any mass accelerates fast enough, it turns into pure energy, which is mass-less, but "moving" or transmitted. Im still wondering if energy, such as photons, can warp spacetime, or only be warped by a mass. Thought experiment - if everything in the cosmos came to a stand still, would anything exist? Does the cosmos exist only because all parts of it (mass and energy) move. Thoughts?

Jan 6, 2020
Another way to think about gravity is that mass can bend light (weightless) but can light bend anything? I think not, but not sure. In other words, pure energy cant bend space time until it is condensed into mass. Any thoughts on if gravity waves are in their own category or are the on the E-M spectrum? They travel through a vaccuum of space.
Gravity has its own vector field different than a light vector or electromagnetic vector field. Gravity is a boson particle a force particle unlike ferminions which are mass particles. Mass is a form of energy ie, E=M (E=MC squared). Gravity (graviton (spin-2) makes it different from other elementary particles that have a spin of -1 (photons, gluons, Z/W+/W-, bosons). All others according to the Standard model are electrically neutral except for the W,s and all are massless except for W,s , Z and the Higgs boson (spin-0). The Higgs boson is different from the rest it is a scalar boson having a directionless magnitude. But it is the Higgs boson that allows the vector fields (photons) of gravity or light to gain mass and energy without it everything in the universe would be on a straight line. Life would not exist in any form.

Dec 23, 2019
I don't buy the Higgs story. It is only responsible for a fraction of the mass. What makes something physical is spacetime. The Higgs boson might have something to do with the scale instructions for the particle.

Reactions: Infored
Jan 3, 2020
Maybe this Universe itself revolves around an even greater space. I just know if this Earth were to stop in its tracks their wouldn't be much gravity. It seems the size of the planet and the inertia around the sun causes the weight which holds us down here. So the question would be what holds the Sun in space. Just some thoughts I am not read up to well on the science of gravity.lol!
Nothing, including our small star is 'held' in space. NOTHING. There is no 'static' position in the universe and that is both because and a result of the fact that everything is relative.

Jan 3, 2020
interesting thought. The key seems to be in movement, linear and rotational. If I recall correctly, if any mass accelerates fast enough, it turns into pure energy, which is mass-less, but "moving" or transmitted. Im still wondering if energy, such as photons, can warp spacetime, or only be warped by a mass. Thought experiment - if everything in the cosmos came to a stand still, would anything exist? Does the cosmos exist only because all parts of it (mass and energy) move. Thoughts?
Your last question is answered this way. Yes. And here is why: without any motion, electricity (and thus subatomic particles) either can't exist, or can't have any interaction with or influence on...anything.

Reactions: Infored
Jan 6, 2020
yes where there is energy there is gravity.
For more http://engineering-and-science.com/relativity.html
Gravity is not energy but a form of energy. Gravity is the potential energy of two objects, their mass and gravitational constant. The surface of the earth would be a gravitational constant. In classical mechanics two masses always have a potential gravitational potential the key word here being potential. Mars has energy it is spinning in space, an elliptical orbit, yet its gravitational field is slowly ebbing. Ask yourself why? Water has mass and potential energy . It is resting until you add kinetic energy, gravity, surface tension, osmosis, or mechanical effects to move the molecules in another direction.

Dec 30, 2019
Gravity without matter? Who would know, since we are all made of matter.
I still want to know things I do not know and that's why it matters. By thinking about something we sometimes learn things. I am curious about gravity. I read and learn but some questions are still available for speculation. Hopefully leading to ideas then to experiments and on to theories about life the universe and everything. Still, your clever post made me think. Thank You.

Feb 28, 2020
But, gravity waves can travel through a void? But they can warp spacetime, which is how we measure their passing? How do we know they are gravity waves and not some other type? Maybe a new type?
Empty space isn't void, It consists of quantum fields/fluctuations/foam/dark energy etc, so maybe gravity waves cause this to ripple. In this sense, gravity waves exist in their own right.

Feb 28, 2020
I never said the Higgs boson creates atoms. Particles create molecules create atoms. Higgs boson allows photons to attract to create molecular structures that turn into atoms, reverse engineer your thoughts and look at particle physics.
Molecules are formed by bonding of atoms by electric charge, The electromagnetic force is in turn mediated by virtual photons at close range and real photons at longer ranges. So. there might be a grain of truth in the quote above. All from a vague memory - needs checking!

Gringoz

BANNED
Oct 3, 2020
Does potential gravity exist or exists only in relation to matter?
Great question, unfortunately you are intelligent because you do not know remember that the people who do know are just parrots as they have no better knowledge than you. The effects of gravity on Earth are mostly predictable, however what it is defies all the math which eventually invokes mythical dark matter to explain it.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

Latest posts