Deforestation: Facts, Causes & Effects

Just keep producing more, and ever more humans that can only be marginally supported by ever decreasing available resources and the human world will get a firsthand demonstration of what Nature and Evolution will do without compunction.

ever more humans that can only be marginally supported by ever decreasing available resources

We witnessed in horror the famine that struck Ethiopia in 1984 which lead to Band Aid and the support to help.

In 1984 the population of Ethiopia was around 38m.

With continuing support, the Water Aid support and hopefully a better understanding of farming practices, Ethiopia has an estimated population in excess of 115m.

I won't provide the link as it does hold distressing pictures/ clips, but is from the Worldvision site.

"1984: Hunger crisis
  • March: The Ethiopian government appeals for international food aid.
  • Summer: Aid agencies struggle to meet the needs of the hungry. Thousands are dying, and 6 million people are at risk of starvation.
  • October: Now, 8 million people risk starvation. Michael Buerk’s BBC news footage shocks the world with images of “a biblical famine in the 20th century.”"

Over 1m were estimated to have succumbed to starvation...

Should the events play out now (hopefully with better world coverage and on-the-ground support this won;t occur), has our help effectively risked 24m at risk of starvation with 3m lives lost which will increase the more we help?

Compassion, and assistance should be paramount in situations of famine and natural disasters. For man made events, I have no answers; I just see the potential effects of increasing human population on available resources in light of climate change, global economics/politics and most awfully wars. Deforestation is a contributor to climate changes which effect human populations dependent on climate for food and other resources. Even in ostensibly economically stable 1st world countries there is food, housing and health care insecurity for an increasing percentage of the society. Worrisome and scary when projected to the future.