Debunking Coronavirus Misinformation MegaThread

Page 2 - For the science geek in everyone, Live Science breaks down the stories behind the most interesting news and photos on the Internet.
Status
Not open for further replies.
u7u7iy7.png

Hey all,

Due to an abundance of posts touting natural remedies, DIY cures, and generally dangerous misinformation about the coronavirus, the Community Team thought it would be a good idea to collect all of these into a single spot.

This thread is intended to debunk COVID-19 myths, hoaxes, untested suppositions, and any other claims that are "too good to be true."

First things first, there is currently no medically approved cure or vaccine for coronavirus, period.

There are many groups and institutions working to find it, but these things take time. When people are afraid, they are more likely to try things that are risky or untested, so we will not allow posts that claim to be a cure to remain in our forums.

In this thread we'd like to hear any suspicious information that you've heard here, or elsewhere. This is not to continue the spread of questionable info, but so we can engage with the community to provide verifiable data to the contrary of these claims.

We encourage all of our LiveScience forum experts to contribute their knowledge to this thread. Please make sure to cite from a secondary or primary source when debunking a hoax. With a herd mentality and the exchange of knowledge we can defeat the grifters out there trying to profit from this public health crisis.

Some misinformation that we've seen and removed includes:
  • Drinking bleach
  • Ingesting colloidal silver
  • Specially grown food products
  • General "wonder drugs"
  • Coronavirus was caused by, or is linked to, 5G phone networks
Statements that are not proven with this strain of virus:

The best way to prevent the transmission of COVID-19 is to practice social distancing (keeping 6 feet/2 meters from one another or at the very least, 3 feet/1 meter from the nearest person), and to wash your hands regularly and thoroughly (20 seconds at least).

While the forum rules are posted to every subforum, it's good to call special attention to this specific rule here:

• Live Science forums host discussions based on established scientific principles, and as such, posts that attempt to ignore the preponderance of evidence, disavow scientific fact, or engage in logical fallacies to arrive at unfounded conclusions will be removed.
I find it curious that in the face of a viral disaster several possible avenues of self immune enhancement are essentially forbidden areas of discussion. Various immune substances secreted by human bodily systems have been conclusively shown to be enhanced or inhibited by a variety of things which can be purchased at grocery stores, or prescribed by licensed physicians, yet it would appear that even preliminary suggestive of experimental discussion of such are forbidden here. Likewise, accusations generally are forbidden, but enforcement and removal of material would appear to be more biased toward removal of suggestions that certain pharmaceuticals might cause harm, and inexpensive immune enhancement strategies should be tried experimentally, rather than not particularly helpful suggestions of criminal behavior on the part of governments and labs may have led to the virus's creation and enhanced it's spread. So, for example, a focussed suggestion that certain large corporations that might profit extensively from corona virus and might therefore have conflict of interest with explorations which could lead to development of inexpensive, essentially home-made or home-grown effective treatments would appear to be more likely to be removed as an accusation than an accusation regarding a hypothetical deliberate environmental release of the virus.
Because Live Science appears to be hostile to the discussion of such issues, I suggest that discussions regarding corporate misbehavior might be more productively reported directly to the FBI or chief law enforcement agency of whichever Nation you may inhabit. Likewise beware! Someone might suggest a potential "natural" treatment that might reduce the death rate without enriching Pharma!

[note from Admin: please see the post immediately following]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: EastofMaeWest

LCarlson

Administrator
Nov 12, 2019
Visit site
Although the post I quote above skirts a few areas within our Forum Rules, I am going to let it stand for the purposes of explaining our approach and process.

As this is LiveScience. We welcome discussion that is based on scientific fact, not supposition or misinformation. There is a lot of both circulating around the internet right now, and it's dangerous to all.

Therefore, we do allow discussion of homeopathic approaches, so long as they do not purport to be a cure. There is no cure for this virus at present. None. All we can do is manage symptoms and wait for it to run its course.
On the other hand, everyone will recognize that supplementing diets with healthy foods, vitamins and minerals will help the body to be in a better state to cope with the immense challenge of fighting a virus.
Unfortunately, taking some of the purported "remedies" without the advice of a medical professional can cause irreparable harm, as we have already seen reported around the world.

We do not allow discussions of conspiracy theories, because they are inflammatory and generally lacking in evidence. Over time, as we move through this pandemic, facts, not wild theories, will emerge. This is not the space for accusations or partisan politics.

There are many, many places on the internet that allow, welcome or even encourage pseudoscience, claims of cures or conspiracy theories, but the LiveScience forums are not among them. Likewise, if our Forum Guidelines or moderation processes are not in keeping with a user's worldview, it is not a topic for debate. Users are welcome to find a place better suited to their preferences.

LiveScience remains committed to carrying the latest, factual news and information about the Coronavirus pandemic.
We strongly encourage everyone to read and abide by our Forum Rules: https://forums.livescience.com/threads/read-before-posting-forum-rules.3/

Reactions: Lutfij
Apr 21, 2020
Visit site
Here are some statistics that would better serve the public and reduce the fear levels -- seems like this should be reported along with your information about why we should worry more. As of today 4/21/20 based on the number of cases reported in the US only .000019% of people in this country have gotten this virus (note the decimal point in front of that number). That means the there is a .0019 chance in a million of any one person getting or having this virus. Even in NYC, "the worst hit", the chance of getting it based on the population is .00027%. If you include the entire New York Metro area the number drops dramatically to .000012%. The death rate in NYC is a laughable 0000016%.

If these numbers were applied to any other situation in the WORLD, be it business results, disease/death tolls, poisons, profits, losses, market fluctuations, you name it, it would not even be in the news, let alone worrying anyone. Compared to many other diseases we have in the world (let's use AIDS as an example) these numbers are a nit on the radar and yet we've managed to destroy the entire economy, ruin people's lives, and do irreparable damage to businesses at all levels. There are more female children killed ON PURPOSE in China alone every year than this virus will ever kill. How about we tell people these facts and gain some sanity back in this country!

Apr 18, 2020
Visit site
There have been questions regarding the coming spring season and if warming temperatures will kill off the coronavirus. While historically, viruses do tend to spread more slowly in warmer weather, we won't know the full scope of change that will happen with COVID-19 yet.

Sources on this are plentiful, but a few include.
Hopefully this warm weather help slow it down, hard to say, theres cases in a few thousand in countries that is hot. Hopefully.

So the main cause of death during this outbreak is not the virus but what it leads to, Pneumonia. But there is a Vaccine against Pneumonia, addmittedly it comes in 2 parts 12 months apart but part 1 protects against the most prevelent and dangerous forms. So far I have heard no mention of this, I would have thought this would be a major line of defence especially for the most vulnerable.
It's for bacterial Pneumonia

Apr 6, 2020
Visit site
The farmers here figured it out. It is transmitted alot like Histoplasmosis from the spreading of chicken litter. Instead of chickens, it is pigs. Bat guano is harvested and turned into fertilizer. It is sold in markets and may be given as a food supplement to hogs. That is what happened in China and that is why the pigletts in China died in 2017 all at the same time. The pig became the intermediate host. The US imported pigletts from China. So did other countries. Pigs were one of China's big exports. Duke University commented that pigs and humans have very similar immune systems making it easy for the virus to cross from bat guano to pigs to humans. Pig farms around here are being shut down. Histoplasmosis can be dealt with but this coronavirus is more serious. Just like chicken litter, bat guano contains virus, bacteria, fungi, along with urine. It is dried and used as fertilizer, easily airborne just like the chicken litter. If the pigs are sick with the virus, then the virus is in their feces. What happened to all the pig bodies - the ones that died? What did they do with them? When chickens die from a virus, they burn them. Did China turn the dead pigs into fertilizer?

Reactions: cheerios
Apr 18, 2020
Visit site
The farmers here figured it out. It is transmitted alot like Histoplasmosis from the spreading of chicken litter. Instead of chickens, it is pigs. Bat guano is harvested and turned into fertilizer. It is sold in markets and may be given as a food supplement to hogs. That is what happened in China and that is why the pigletts in China died in 2017 all at the same time. The pig became the intermediate host. The US imported pigletts from China. So did other countries. Pigs were one of China's big exports. Duke University commented that pigs and humans have very similar immune systems making it easy for the virus to cross from bat guano to pigs to humans. Pig farms around here are being shut down. Histoplasmosis can be dealt with but this coronavirus is more serious. Just like chicken litter, bat guano contains virus, bacteria, fungi, along with urine. It is dried and used as fertilizer, easily airborne just like the chicken litter. If the pigs are sick with the virus, then the virus is in their feces. What happened to all the pig bodies - the ones that died? What did they do with them? When chickens die from a virus, they burn them. Did China turn the dead pigs into fertilizer?
I know farmers also figured a resolution of chicken pox in cows. I wished they were a bit more educated in health besides the ones who went to school.

Apr 6, 2020
Visit site
I got Histoplasmosis from the spreading of chicken litter on the fields. I got covid 19 from fertilizer. Hog farms north of Arkansas are plagued with it. Be careful of fertilizers - source of ingredients is unknown. Bat guano is a direct source of infection because of the development of ACE2 That is what is making it so contagious. Without any doubt, I got covid 19 from fertilizer in the summer of 2018. I remember the day it happened. No wet markets here - only lots of fertilizer and lots of livestock. A farmer down the road lost an entire herd of cattle not long ago. Farmers are so used to using manure of all kinds - even feeding it to livestock and spreading it on fields where it turns into a dust. I hear that Missouri is planning on suing China. Please take this seriously. I was never in a chicken house and yet I got systemic Histoplasmosis. Please, please take this seriously.

I got Histoplasmosis from the spreading of chicken litter on the fields. I got covid 19 from fertilizer. Hog farms north of Arkansas are plagued with it. Be careful of fertilizers - source of ingredients is unknown. Bat guano is a direct source of infection because of the development of ACE2 That is what is making it so contagious. Without any doubt, I got covid 19 from fertilizer in the summer of 2018. I remember the day it happened. No wet markets here - only lots of fertilizer and lots of livestock. A farmer down the road lost an entire herd of cattle not long ago. Farmers are so used to using manure of all kinds - even feeding it to livestock and spreading it on fields where it turns into a dust. I hear that Missouri is planning on suing China. Please take this seriously. I was never in a chicken house and yet I got systemic Histoplasmosis. Please, please take this seriously.
Covid 19 didn't emerge until late 2019, hence the name. You cetainly caught something horible from the fertlizer. Do you think the fetilizer could be used better so this didn't happen?

Apr 6, 2020
Visit site
It was not named this yet. When I got sick, it was SARS-COV-2. That is what infected the pigletts in China in 2017 when they all died. WHO was protecting China during this time - hiding the information while China investigated. WHO decided to rename it so it would not be traced back. The infection I got was the original one before the name was changed. When it was recognized as a pandemic, then it was renamed to COVID 19. It was a clever way of hiding the source with confusion. It is this virus attraction to ACE 2 that makes it possible to infect anything where these types of cells predominate. It actually started in late 2016 when pigs across four farms in Qingyuan county in Guangdong suffered from acute vomiting and diarrhea, and nearly 25,000 animals died. It turned out to be a virus whose genomic sequence was 98% identical to a coronavirus found in horseshoe bats in a nearby cave.

Apr 6, 2020
Visit site
SARS - COV-2 is the same as COVID 19. Bat guano was still being processed from caves and sold as fertilizer. It was not until all the pigs were dying from this one source, that China started an investigation.

Apr 6, 2020
Visit site
I was not the only one who got this sickness in 2018. None of us could figure out what it was and neither could the doctors. It happened to people in California and it happened to people I knew in New Jersey. We all had the exact same thing but we were not around each other. The first symptom I noticed was that I could not smell anything. Never had that happen before. I had every single symptom that has been mentioned today. Next is the antibody test when I can get it.

Apr 6, 2020
Visit site
The source is bats. We are getting it from bats , No intermediary host has yet been found. Many suggestions have been made but we are getting it from bats. The prime target was wet markets with its bat guana. The other source could be bat guana fertilizer. So far, it looks like a direct infection. The main target are the cells with ACE2 and that is gram negative bacteria. They have the highest source of ACE2.

When the numbers of anaerobic Gram negative rod-shaped bacteria and spirochetes increase compared to the other bacteria in the sub-gingival plaque then gingivitis is more likely to occur. The organisms in this plaque contains large numbers of gram negative proteolytic and hemolytic bacteriathat cause inflammation of the gingiva.

Hence, wearing a mask. Could the source be bat guana. Yes and it could be airborne. Anything that has alot of gram negative bacteria is a target because of the ACE2. The question is where is the greater source of infection . That is what the scientists cannot figure out. Pigs can get it - depends on diet and there is a lot feces in a pig pen- lots of gram negative bacteria in stool. That is what they find in people - covid 19 is in the stool. Look at a nursing home and just how much of a problem that is.

Apr 6, 2020
Visit site
The scientists still cannot figure out how this disease is spreading. Are we all that contagious or is the virus capable of jumping from bat guano to gram negative bacteria because of the unique attraction to ACE2. That is very special and that is why they call it new. If some of us indeed are positive for antibodies before it became a pandemic, then the main source is not necessarily people. The target are cells with ACE2 and if so not species specific.

Sam

Apr 25, 2020
Visit site
This is gonna sound stupid but I tested positive for corona and and its been like ten days since ive been coughing non stop and im getting really tired of it despite taking medicine it wont stop so idk why i just held my breath for as long as I could and it helped my cough lol...

The source is bats. We are getting it from bats , No intermediary host has yet been found. Many suggestions have been made but we are getting it from bats. The prime target was wet markets with its bat guana. The other source could be bat guana fertilizer. So far, it looks like a direct infection. The main target are the cells with ACE2 and that is gram negative bacteria. They have the highest source of ACE2.

When the numbers of anaerobic Gram negative rod-shaped bacteria and spirochetes increase compared to the other bacteria in the sub-gingival plaque then gingivitis is more likely to occur. The organisms in this plaque contains large numbers of gram negative proteolytic and hemolytic bacteriathat cause inflammation of the gingiva.

Hence, wearing a mask. Could the source be bat guana. Yes and it could be airborne. Anything that has alot of gram negative bacteria is a target because of the ACE2. The question is where is the greater source of infection . That is what the scientists cannot figure out. Pigs can get it - depends on diet and there is a lot feces in a pig pen- lots of gram negative bacteria in stool. That is what they find in people - covid 19 is in the stool. Look at a nursing home and just how much of a problem that is.
The paper I attached says pigs don't get it.

Apr 6, 2020
Visit site
I had been reading about Dr. Brownsteins work on Iodine - why we need it and why we cant live without it. He studied another scholar. I had some Iodoral on hand, so decided to take it along with selenium and magnesium, and ATP Cofactors. I had a history of Fibromyalgia - and this was a therapy, thus I was looking it over. After the infection started, I took the Iodoral and four days later my gum problem was gone and the dentist said so was the tartar. I got rid of the biofilm which contains the bacteria this virus seeks. I found out that this combination gets rid of the ROS - toxins from oxidative stress like this virus causes - the inflammatory reaction brought about by the reaction of the Lipopolysaccharide on the surface of the bacteria responding with ACE2 releasing cytokines. I found this reference from research....iodides are greatly present and available in the sea, where algal phytoplankton, the basis of marine food-chain, acts as a biological accumulator of iodides, selenium - gets rid of the ROS and they were talking about Three Billion Years Ago - a natural solution . The scientists believe this virus is not man made but a natural thing. It seemed like a logical thing to fight a natural enemy with a natural solution. The bat is also very old and apparently very good at surviving. I think the virus is in the bat and the guano and it is quite possible that this particular bat evolved enough to produce a virus with an attraction to ACE2. I don't think it was there before. If this is true, than the source of the infection is not humans, but the bat itself. Our cells are just a target and this is not species specific.

Apr 6, 2020
Visit site
When I looked at the treatment for this virus using the malaria drug, it is a biofilm disruptor. If the biofilm is destroyed which is what the iodine and selenium does, than the immune system can take care of the virus. Understand, I am not calling iodine and selenium a cure - your immune system is the cure - you are

May 25, 2020
Visit site
So the main cause of death during this outbreak is not the virus but what it leads to, Pneumonia. But there is a Vaccine against Pneumonia, addmittedly it comes in 2 parts 12 months apart but part 1 protects against the most prevelent and dangerous forms. So far I have heard no mention of this, I would have thought this would be a major line of defence especially for the most vulnerable.

WHO

Vaccines against pneumonia, such as pneumococcal vaccine and Haemophilus influenza type B (Hib) vaccine, do not provide protection against the new coronavirus.

The virus is so new and different that it needs its own vaccine. Researchers are trying to develop a vaccine against 2019-nCoV, and WHO is supporting their efforts.

Although these vaccines are not effective against 2019-nCoV, vaccination against respiratory illnesses is highly recommended to protect your health.

Jun 25, 2020
Visit site
It's important for ongoing studies to confirm everything we assume about this virus, other viruses, and how they all interact, so it's not likely medical science will start recommending this in wide swaths of the population in the near future.

There is some really helpful info on the pneumonia vaccines here. For most adults, studies show the vaccines are helpful at reducing infection in about 45% of recipients, which is good, but far from a sure thing.

For older people, or those with other medical conditions, it's certainly something that looks promising. I'm looking forward to hearing more info on how this current pandemic will impact the way medical professionals view these very specific types of vaccines.

Once things start to settle down again, I'll definitely at least talk to my doctor about this kind of preventative step, though I am fortunate enough to find myself ill only once every few years and it tends to pass within a day or two at most.
I like your proactive approach, what I challenge you with, is your trust in a pharmacological solution. There is absolutely nothing better than a HEALTHY body for combating any disease. There will always be exceptions but if hypertension, diabetes, et al are minimized due to exercise, a non-bad diet (a good diet is always better) and staying away from processed foods especially refined sugar... we will be in great shape.

I am not a fan of vaccines. If a vaccine were provided and I had the capability of recovering damage if harmed... then I might consider that option if my situation were dire. Currently, all manufacturers of vaccines are protected from litigation due to our Supreme Court.

42 U.S. Code § 300aa–22. Standards of responsibility

I am sorry you had to experience this malady. Many people have focused on the wet markets and rightfully so but we are not taking notice of our exposure to this type of environment in the United States. Visit a slaughterhouse, visit a poultry farm, or where eggs are harvested... it is a bastion for infections. What is even scarier than seeing this mess is that our government and various pharmaceutical companies are collecting eggs for purposes of vaccines. Egg vaccines will not work on a Coronavirus but it does have success for the flu.

Mar 18, 2020
Visit site
Status
Not open for further replies.