Debunking Coronavirus Misinformation MegaThread

u7u7iy7.png

Hey all,

Due to an abundance of posts touting natural remedies, DIY cures, and generally dangerous misinformation about the coronavirus, the Community Team thought it would be a good idea to collect all of these into a single spot.

This thread is intended to debunk COVID-19 myths, hoaxes, untested suppositions, and any other claims that are "too good to be true."

First things first, there is currently no medically approved cure or vaccine for coronavirus, period.

There are many groups and institutions working to find it, but these things take time. When people are afraid, they are more likely to try things that are risky or untested, so we will not allow posts that claim to be a cure to remain in our forums.

In this thread we'd like to hear any suspicious information that you've heard here, or elsewhere. This is not to continue the spread of questionable info, but so we can engage with the community to provide verifiable data to the contrary of these claims.

We encourage all of our LiveScience forum experts to contribute their knowledge to this thread. Please make sure to cite from a secondary or primary source when debunking a hoax. With a herd mentality and the exchange of knowledge we can defeat the grifters out there trying to profit from this public health crisis.

Some misinformation that we've seen and removed includes:
  • Drinking bleach
  • Ingesting colloidal silver
  • Specially grown food products
  • General "wonder drugs"
  • Coronavirus was caused by, or is linked to, 5G phone networks
Statements that are not proven with this strain of virus:

The best way to prevent the transmission of COVID-19 is to practice social distancing (keeping 6 feet/2 meters from one another or at the very least, 3 feet/1 meter from the nearest person), and to wash your hands regularly and thoroughly (20 seconds at least).

While the forum rules are posted to every subforum, it's good to call special attention to this specific rule here:

• Live Science forums host discussions based on established scientific principles, and as such, posts that attempt to ignore the preponderance of evidence, disavow scientific fact, or engage in logical fallacies to arrive at unfounded conclusions will be removed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

SHaines

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 12, 2019
Visit site
There have been questions regarding the coming spring season and if warming temperatures will kill off the coronavirus. While historically, viruses do tend to spread more slowly in warmer weather, we won't know the full scope of change that will happen with COVID-19 yet.

Sources on this are plentiful, but a few include.

Mar 13, 2020
Visit site
So the main cause of death during this outbreak is not the virus but what it leads to, Pneumonia. But there is a Vaccine against Pneumonia, addmittedly it comes in 2 parts 12 months apart but part 1 protects against the most prevelent and dangerous forms. So far I have heard no mention of this, I would have thought this would be a major line of defence especially for the most vulnerable.

Mar 14, 2020
Visit site
I am reasonably well educated in things viral and keep up-to-date regarding pathogens of fish including viruses. Certain amount of a population will be more resistant and some less so. Some may become latent carriers of the virus while others may die. The risk of dying from this virus is very low. Warmer weather can help people fight illness. Vitamin D is essential for proper functioning of the immune system (Aranow 2011).

I've just been to the supermarket and the shelves were practically empty. People were terrified and there was an atmosphere of impending doom. Worrying can negatively affect immunity so keep calm (Segerstrom, & Miller 2004). Let it go…

It is not difficult to predict the outcome. This will playout like all other pandemics. The virus will become endemic in the population. No one will escape being exposed unless they leave for planet Mars. The time and place will come. Recall Norovirus. A 24-hour stomach bug. Everyone got exposed to that, vomited for 24 hours then went about their business. It is still present within the population. Babies will eventually catch it, like they will chicken pox, and like adults, will have the same symptoms. As the years pass, the symptoms of this virus will become milder (Harper et al. 2016).

If this kills you, you’ve been very unlucky but there is nothing anyone can now do. The cat is out of the bag. Everyone is powerless over the outcome. Observe good hygiene, be sensible. Look after your health. Avoid excesses in anything. Enjoy the time you have left albeit decades or days. Worrying will make you more susceptible (Segerstrom, & Miller 2004). Hiding will not save you.

Selfishly hoarding supermarket supplies, hand sanitiser and soap may kill some vulnerable people who need them. Are we four-year olds in long trousers who just look after number one, or are we compassionate adults? The jury is out…

The best of luck to you all

Chris

References
Aranow C. (2011). Vitamin D and the immune system. Journal of investigative medicine: the official publication of the American Federation for Clinical Research, 59(6), 881–886. https://doi.org/10.2310/JIM.0b013e31821b8755

Harper, S., Cowell, S., & Dawson, W. (2016). Finding balance: Virus populations reach equilibrium during the infection process. Virology, 485, 205-212.

Segerstrom, S. C., & Miller, G. E. (2004). Psychological stress and the human immune system: a meta-analytic study of 30 years of inquiry. Psychological bulletin, 130(4), 601–630. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.130.4.601

Mar 14, 2020
Visit site
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I've heard claims and research that huge doses of vitamin C can even regress cancers. However, it cannot stop a virus from infecting you. The facts are simple, on the first encounter with a virus the body takes from 7 to 10 days to produce enough antibodies to fight the illness. Up to that point the virus has full reign to overwhelm someone. On the second encounter, within a couple decades. it should take around 2 days because of the acquired memory of the first encounter.

The challenge with this virus is it has come from a bat (a zoonosis) and most human’s bodies have not encountered it before, nor anything similar. Therefore, none of us have acquired immunity. Vitamins galore won’t change that.

I am very sceptical of the journal in which thes arcticles are published. I get the impression that it is not one of the best peer reviewed journals nor does it appear to be what is considered primary scientific in nature. It is what is classed as alternative medicine which have less stringent and objective ways of measuring their data.

"I took this one day and the next the illness went away so that must be the cure."

I am fraid t is not a simple. However, I am willing to admit I am wrong if you can present me with a single objetive and statisically correct study from this journal.
Chris

Mar 15, 2020
Visit site
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I've heard claims and research that huge doses of vitamin C can even regress cancers. However, it cannot stop a virus from infecting you. The facts are simple, on the first encounter with a virus the body takes from 7 to 10 days to produce enough antibodies to fight the illness. Up to that point the virus has full reign to overwhelm someone. On the second encounter, within a couple decades. it should take around 2 days because of the acquired memory of the first encounter.

The challenge with this virus is it has come from a bat (a zoonosis) and most human’s bodies have not encountered it before, nor anything similar. Therefore, none of us have acquired immunity. Vitamins galore won’t change that.

I am very sceptical of the journal in which thes arcticles are published. I get the impression that it is not one of the best peer reviewed journals nor does it appear to be what is considered primary scientific in nature. It is what is classed as alternative medicine which have less stringent and objective ways of measuring their data.

"I took this one day and the next the illness went away so that must be the cure."

I am fraid t is not a simple. However, I am willing to admit I am wrong if you can present me with a single objetive and statisically correct study from this journal.
Chris
Hi Chris, the data/research and documentation of double blind/placebo studies show that ascorbic acid creates extremely low permeability with the cell wall. It's not meant to be a cure all end all...it's meant to give the host (we humans) a better fighting chance against a novel, mammalian virus that not only can re-assort its genome but may be bi-phasic. I can cite numerous studies, without bias, on the virulence of bat vectored corona viruses but the bottom line is that the immune system is going to need all the help it can get from micro nutrients, of which our foods are lacking, and until a vaccine is approved for public use we are kind of left up to our own devices to promote our individual health in the best, and most attainable, way we can. Isolation and quarantine is necessary in order to PROTECT those among us with compromised immune systems. Those of us who are healthy, with no underlying tax on our own immunity, fare much better in being able to resolve the illness once exposed. I urge people to use common sense as they would with any community acquired illness. Wash your hands thoroughly, keep them away from nose and mouth, don't get too close, drink plenty of water, get plenty of sleep and nourish your body as best as you can. I think perhaps we all can agree that in addition to the fatality associated with this novel virus the second most horrible factor is that those who are ill with SARS-CoV-2 are isolated from family and friends in their last days. I honor all those in medicine and science who are working diligently to successfully treat/prevent this virus. Thank you for administering to this forum to allow an informative, hopefully, discussion on this matter.

Mar 15, 2020
Visit site
if the way that people die is that the virus interferes with oxygenation at the level of the heme molecule, might this be the reason that babies and young are so resilient despite a relatively less mature immune system?
The virus has spikes that communicate with the epithelial cells in the lungs and the virus then invades the healthy cell. From what I've been reading an ACE2 antagonist action as found in Monteleukast or Symbicort, both ACE2 inhibitors, may help prevent that communication between the virus and the healthy, epithelial cell.

Reactions: jsimenhoff
I am reasonably well educated in things viral and keep up-to-date regarding pathogens of fish including viruses. Certain amount of a population will be more resistant and some less so. Some may become latent carriers of the virus while others may die. The risk of dying from this virus is very low. Warmer weather can help people fight illness. Vitamin D is essential for proper functioning of the immune system (Aranow 2011).

I've just been to the supermarket and the shelves were practically empty. People were terrified and there was an atmosphere of impending doom. Worrying can negatively affect immunity so keep calm (Segerstrom, & Miller 2004). Let it go…

It is not difficult to predict the outcome. This will playout like all other pandemics. The virus will become endemic in the population. No one will escape being exposed unless they leave for planet Mars. The time and place will come. Recall Norovirus. A 24-hour stomach bug. Everyone got exposed to that, vomited for 24 hours then went about their business. It is still present within the population. Babies will eventually catch it, like they will chicken pox, and like adults, will have the same symptoms. As the years pass, the symptoms of this virus will become milder (Harper et al. 2016).

If this kills you, you’ve been very unlucky but there is nothing anyone can now do. The cat is out of the bag. Everyone is powerless over the outcome. Observe good hygiene, be sensible. Look after your health. Avoid excesses in anything. Enjoy the time you have left albeit decades or days. Worrying will make you more susceptible (Segerstrom, & Miller 2004). Hiding will not save you.

Selfishly hoarding supermarket supplies, hand sanitiser and soap may kill some vulnerable people who need them. Are we four-year olds in long trousers who just look after number one, or are we compassionate adults? The jury is out…

The best of luck to you all

Chris

References
Aranow C. (2011). Vitamin D and the immune system. Journal of investigative medicine: the official publication of the American Federation for Clinical Research, 59(6), 881–886. https://doi.org/10.2310/JIM.0b013e31821b8755

Harper, S., Cowell, S., & Dawson, W. (2016). Finding balance: Virus populations reach equilibrium during the infection process. Virology, 485, 205-212.

Segerstrom, S. C., & Miller, G. E. (2004). Psychological stress and the human immune system: a meta-analytic study of 30 years of inquiry. Psychological bulletin, 130(4), 601–630. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.130.4.601

That is the general pattern and I highly expect it is the one COV-19 will follow. To go a little farther COV-19 will probably follow the multiple wave pattern shown by Spanish Flu and most other worldwide epidemics with at least 3 waves represent exhaustion of various groups of closest regular social intimacy, then afteran all clear spread to more socially occasional and less cohesive contact in larger cities and regions - and finally to distant relatively isolated groups worldwide. Increased travel may compress the final wave from significance.

still its not researched. Not all epidemics find a mild and favorable equilibrium. Some super rare go to near extinction. Far less likely with humans as extensive viral mutation would likely be required to evade vaccines Al.though if humans were unable to maintain lengthy immune response to some virus,,,that would be a problem where vaccines and prior exposure would be marginally useful.

That is the general pattern and I highly expect it is the one COV-19 will follow. To go a little farther COV-19 will probably follow the multiple wave pattern shown by Spanish Flu and most other worldwide epidemics with at least 3 waves represent exhaustion of various groups of closest regular social intimacy, then afteran all clear spread to more socially occasional and less cohesive contact in larger cities and regions - and finally to distant relatively isolated groups worldwide. Increased travel may compress the final wave from significance.

still its not researched. Not all epidemics find a mild and favorable equilibrium. Some super rare go to near extinction. Far less likely with humans as extensive viral mutation would likely be required to evade vaccines Al.though if humans were unable to maintain lengthy immune response to some virus,,,that would be a problem where vaccines and prior exposure would be marginally useful.
Based on human immunity to other Corona family virus I think that unlikely in the extreme.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jsimenhoff
Mar 12, 2020
Visit site
“GIVE THEM A FEVER”

The U.S. National Library of Medicine states the following:
“Fever is an important part of the body's defense against infection. Most bacteria and viruses that cause infections in people thrive best at 98.6°F (37°C). Many infants and children develop high fevers with mild viral illnesses. Although a fever signals that a battle might be going on in the body, the fever is fighting for, not against the person.”
Point 1. 500 thousand years of evolution and the most advanced complex immune system in the world “responds” to just about any respiratory infection with what, a fever and a runny nose.
Point 2. If most viruses that effect humans thrive best at 37C (human core body temperature) then we can assume that the viruses that affect certain animals thrive best at their core body temperatures.

Point 3. There are now 4 animals (pig, bird, bat and camel) that are associated with the deadliest zoonotic viruses known to man and every single one of them have core body temperatures of at least 40C.

Point 4. The human immune system can naturally safely produce a fever of up to 40C to fight most human viruses but this might might not be high enough to fight a higher temperature zoonotic virus.

Point 5. A significant number of Seniors have core body temperatures of as low as 36C and their immune systems are actually NOT CAPABLE of producing any type of fever, let alone one high enough to fight a zoonotic virus.

Point 6. The human respiratory tract experiences a huge range of temperatures both below and above 37C and is the main target of infectious viruses usually in the colder seasons when cold dry air has cooled and dried out our respiratory tracts.

Point 7. A heated ventilator, a steamer, a towel over a pot of boiled water can bring the temperature of the human respiratory tract up to as high as 46C WITHOUT significantly increasing the body core temperature and possibly be able to help our immune systems to fight against these higher temperature zoonotic viruses.

EVERYTHING points to temperature, our immune system, when we get viruses, how we fight them, the coincidental temperature link of the four animals, seniors being the hardest impacted, EVERYTHING and maybe the simplest easiest and most logical treatment for CLOVID-19 is to “GIVE THEM A FEVER”.

Mar 6, 2020
Visit site

Chris

Congressional testimony in 2001 on immune protection from Biological wafare – closed door session

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CHRG-107hhrg77497/html/CHRG-107hhrg77497.htm
Pg 81 – McDaniel, H. Reg, M.D.

Part of his written testimony..

“In instances of unusual, epidemic and virulent infectious agent exposure, glyconutrient supplementation has been found effective for enhancing general immune function and defense. When supplied at a higher level and available in nature, sugars needed for cellular synthesis can take innate defense mechanisms to a much higher level that are effective against infectious agents. The biochemical principles responsible for this phenomenon and mechanisms of action are in your written material.

Body defense, such as the mechanisms that act naturally when we recover from a common cold or influenza, can now be up-regulated to destroy virulent organisms associated with more virulent disease.

Such benefit is the result of increased synthesis of SLIDE 4 cell-to-cell communication molecules that
act like tiny IBM cards sent between cells to provide instructions for destroying bacteria, viruses and other
infectious organisms. SLIDE 5 increasing the levels of glyconutrients in the diet increases the synthesis of these anti-infection molecules.

The bar graph provided is evidence of the functional antiviral activity described. It is an example of the increase in general defense against infectious organisms that results when glyconutrients are progressively added to the diet.”

Hi Chris, the data/research and documentation of double blind/placebo studies show that ascorbic acid creates extremely low permeability with the cell wall. It's not meant to be a cure all end all...it's meant to give the host (we humans) a better fighting chance against a novel, mammalian virus that not only can re-assort its genome but may be bi-phasic. I can cite numerous studies, without bias, on the virulence of bat vectored corona viruses but the bottom line is that the immune system is going to need all the help it can get from micro nutrients, of which our foods are lacking, and until a vaccine is approved for public use we are kind of left up to our own devices to promote our individual health in the best, and most attainable, way we can. Isolation and quarantine is necessary in order to PROTECT those among us with compromised immune systems. Those of us who are healthy, with no underlying tax on our own immunity, fare much better in being able to resolve the illness once exposed. I urge people to use common sense as they would with any community acquired illness. Wash your hands thoroughly, keep them away from nose and mouth, don't get too close, drink plenty of water, get plenty of sleep and nourish your body as best as you can. I think perhaps we all can agree that in addition to the fatality associated with this novel virus the second most horrible factor is that those who are ill with SARS-CoV-2 are isolated from family and friends in their last days. I honor all those in medicine and science who are working diligently to successfully treat/prevent this virus. Thank you for administering to this forum to allow an informative, hopefully, discussion on this matter.
HUMANS DONT HAVE CELL WALLS. WE ARE NOT PLANTS NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU WANT TO BE! Also, the most relevant article i found on the Coronavirus being biphasic is from a website that also said it causes heart failure, which is not a symptom, and has this:

Michael F. Holick, MD, PhD, Professor of Physiology and Biophysics, and leading authority on vitamin D, writes:

"Most children and adults are vitamin D deficient in the winter. Essentially no vitamin D can be made from sun exposure during the months of November through March if you live above or below 35 degrees latitude (e.g. Busan, S. Korea, Xi'an, China, Atlanta, USA or Malaga, Spain).

It has been suggested that there is a seasonal stimulus for developing viral infections such as the flu during the winter time. At the time of the peak flu season in the winter is at exactly the same time a person's vitamin D status [blood level of 25-hydroxyvitamin D] is at its lowest level. Vitamin D plays an important role in maintaining a healthy immune system and therefore winter-associated vitamin D deficiency can weaken the immune system increasing the risk of developing viral infections that cause upper respiratory tract infections. There is evidence that adequate levels of vitamin D during the winter can result in a reduction in the incidence of influenza A and in other viral illnesses of the respiratory tract.

Given the newness of the coronavirus (COVID-19), no research has studied how vitamin D levels might be associated with the incidence or severity of a coronavirus infection. However, at this time I believe it is prudent to make sure everyone has adequate vitamin D levels."

Ernest T. Armstrong, inventor of the vitamin D promoting sunscreen Solar D® (solar-d.com), writes: "All countries worst hit by COVID-19 are northern, wintertime countries or countries where people get very little sunshine and therefore make very little vitamin D in their skin. If the COVID-19 acts similar to other known seasonal viruses, then in the spring as the sun climbs higher in the sky, people will make more vitamin D, immune-system suppression will lessen, and the number of new cases of COVID-19 will fall dramatically."
I think Iran is not a "wintertime" country

A well-known Jewish rabbi Mutsaffi is recommending a treatment for the corona virus A mixture of Yemeni spices Called Hawaj , the Yemeni people put in coffee it contains cloves, ginger, cinnamon and cardamom grounded. I put 2 teaspoons of it in a glass and pour boiling water with a little sugar for the taste and mix it well . I slowly drank it. It's really repulsive but underwent a cough I had for two weeks..
And this Rabbi got a medical degree where?
You probably recovered despite the weird spice drink, not because of it.

“GIVE THEM A FEVER”

The U.S. National Library of Medicine states the following:
“Fever is an important part of the body's defense against infection. Most bacteria and viruses that cause infections in people thrive best at 98.6°F (37°C). Many infants and children develop high fevers with mild viral illnesses. Although a fever signals that a battle might be going on in the body, the fever is fighting for, not against the person.”
Point 1. 500 thousand years of evolution and the most advanced complex immune system in the world “responds” to just about any respiratory infection with what, a fever and a runny nose.
Point 2. If most viruses that effect humans thrive best at 37C (human core body temperature) then we can assume that the viruses that affect certain animals thrive best at their core body temperatures.

Point 3. There are now 4 animals (pig, bird, bat and camel) that are associated with the deadliest zoonotic viruses known to man and every single one of them have core body temperatures of at least 40C.

Point 4. The human immune system can naturally safely produce a fever of up to 40C to fight most human viruses but this might might not be high enough to fight a higher temperature zoonotic virus.

Point 5. A significant number of Seniors have core body temperatures of as low as 36C and their immune systems are actually NOT CAPABLE of producing any type of fever, let alone one high enough to fight a zoonotic virus.

Point 6. The human respiratory tract experiences a huge range of temperatures both below and above 37C and is the main target of infectious viruses usually in the colder seasons when cold dry air has cooled and dried out our respiratory tracts.

Point 7. A heated ventilator, a steamer, a towel over a pot of boiled water can bring the temperature of the human respiratory tract up to as high as 46C WITHOUT significantly increasing the body core temperature and possibly be able to help our immune systems to fight against these higher temperature zoonotic viruses.

EVERYTHING points to temperature, our immune system, when we get viruses, how we fight them, the coincidental temperature link of the four animals, seniors being the hardest impacted, EVERYTHING and maybe the simplest easiest and most logical treatment for CLOVID-19 is to “GIVE THEM A FEVER”.
C'mon CLOVID-19, we were already dealing with COVID now we have a new one? ;)
Getting serious now. Fevers, runny noses, and coughs are side effects and are only the most visible ways your body is reacting. (Its 3.5 billion, don't disrespect my boys the microbes) The immune system is working hard at the cellular level too, acting like a government trying to stop the spread. (analogy time) While a cure is being developed (antibodies for the TCells to seek out) they contain it with a blood-brain barrier and trying to cough it away from the lungs. The mobilize other systems to fully contain and kill the invader, like making white blood cells. don't draw crazy conclusions please, you body is doing the best it can.

Well, TRUTH right there. Well said!! Yes it will "run it's course AND BE GONE. Our Country has OVER 315 Million Citizens plus Millions of Illegals. Let me see by the total number of Cases what, just under 4,000. Unfortunately 69 or 70 TOTAL deaths in the entire population. That does not compute "To be anywhere close to A NATIONAL Emergency or Crisis." It's A Flu Bug. They have people SCARED TO DEATH, and they didn't Close down the Country when the Swine Flu killed thousands. We are 1 click away from Marshal LAW over A Flu Bug, Simply REDUCULOUS. They need only to use the tests for people with the actual symptoms. Our County had over 6,000 people tested, what a waste, ONLY 4 out of them were Positive. We will survive won't we Chris A. People will die, closing everything down isn't going to prevent it. Good luck And please teach your children to wash their hands!! It helps to have a bar of soap on the sink and a towel hanging nearby.
in the here, in the now, people are dying. It needs to be slowed so the swamped healthcare system doesn't have to deal with cavalier idiots like you who got it because they didn't try to protect themselves and other people. My friends in medicine are going insane because of the impending workload. I may not be able to see them for months. Isn't it a "reduculous" that dumb people are always whining about illegal immigrants?

Mar 9, 2020
Visit site
Thank you. I am not connected with medicine but agree with all you have written and thank you for this point which I had not considered at all. We have a heated ventilator and I will try it if I get it at a temperature that I can bear and does not burn.

Please see also the research on "flight as fever" in bats, and "older is colder" (both on Google scholar) regarding the way that fever reduces with age.

This video by Dr. John Campbell comes out in favour of fever and mentions behavioural influences such as wrapping up warm, shivering and sitting next to the fire as part of the way that the body achieves a fever.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJqSdmNNwW4
If wrapping up warm and sitting by a fire is part of the mechanism by which we increase our body temperature in fever, then why a hot bath would have no protective effect (as the WHO suggests) I have no idea. If it were me I would be wrapping those poor people in Northern Italy in electric blankets but I am not a doctor.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2020
Visit site
There have been questions regarding the coming spring season and if warming temperatures will kill off the coronavirus. While historically, viruses do tend to spread more slowly in warmer weather, we won't know the full scope of change that will happen with COVID-19 yet.

Sources on this are plentiful, but a few include.
Scratch the WHO off your list of valid sources of information. Back on January 14, they said that COVID-19 couldn't be transmitted from person-to-person. The Director is an apologist for China who have mounted a massive disinformation campaign to cover up their malfeasance and gross negligence in unleashing a plague on the world that originated in their country. They knew about the virus in November and did everything in their power to keep people from knowing about it. The eight scientists who were trying to get out warnings on social media were thrown in jail to shut them up and the doctor who first identified the virus reportedly "died from it."

The media are also pushing Chinese propaganda by saying it's "racist" to call it the "Chinese Wuhan virus" even though they, themselves, were using that same terminology just a week ago.

WITL

BANNED
Mar 21, 2020
Visit site
One article from what can be considered biased sources should not convince any scientist that this article is gospel. My background leads me to believe that there is more research conducted by private researchers that does not receive corporate support.

I suspect that the rapid spread of COVID-19 is NOT an accidental mutation, but further independent research is needed. Just like Independent research exposed the true causes of autism before those scientists met with suspicious deaths, we will get to the bottom of the origin of COVID-19, hopefully in a shorter period of time.

Mar 21, 2020
Visit site
Does anyone have a critical analysis of the validity (or otherwise) of the information presented in this Sri Lanka TV site:

If true, then it seems potentially very important, but I haven’t seen it reported in any other mainstream (e.g. UK gov) sites, and haven’t been able to corroborate it or debunk it.

Reactions: meta-morpho-sys
Mar 24, 2020
Visit site
I found this useful list of drug prevention and treatment options for COVID-19

The Chinese are doing clinical trials with intravenous Vitamin C to prevent ARDS. There is a treatment protocol called the Marik protocol that has been in use in ICU's in the US using Intravenous Vitamin C, thiamine and corticosteroids that has had impressive success in treating sepsis and ARDS when used early in the patient's course.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA7obbfGg_o

I found this useful list of drug prevention and treatment options for COVID-19

One potentially helpful preventative measure is the consumption of baking soda (1/2 tsp. in 8 ounces of water) daily. Here is a link to the article describing the modulating effect of baking soda on the body's immune response:

When COVID-19 patients deteriorate it is often because of a cytokine storm mounted by the body to try to defeat the novel virus to which there are no antibodies. Preparing the body in advance by consuming baking soda could prevent this from happening. It's a safe thing to do...kidney patients are often encouraged to do this to prevent the advancement of kidney disease.

Last edited by a moderator:

SHaines

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 12, 2019
Visit site
So the main cause of death during this outbreak is not the virus but what it leads to, Pneumonia. But there is a Vaccine against Pneumonia, addmittedly it comes in 2 parts 12 months apart but part 1 protects against the most prevelent and dangerous forms. So far I have heard no mention of this, I would have thought this would be a major line of defence especially for the most vulnerable.

It's important for ongoing studies to confirm everything we assume about this virus, other viruses, and how they all interact, so it's not likely medical science will start recommending this in wide swaths of the population in the near future.

There is some really helpful info on the pneumonia vaccines here. For most adults, studies show the vaccines are helpful at reducing infection in about 45% of recipients, which is good, but far from a sure thing.

For older people, or those with other medical conditions, it's certainly something that looks promising. I'm looking forward to hearing more info on how this current pandemic will impact the way medical professionals view these very specific types of vaccines.

Once things start to settle down again, I'll definitely at least talk to my doctor about this kind of preventative step, though I am fortunate enough to find myself ill only once every few years and it tends to pass within a day or two at most.

Dec 29, 2019
Visit site
u7u7iy7.png

Hey all,

Due to an abundance of posts touting natural remedies, DIY cures, and generally dangerous misinformation about the coronavirus, the Community Team thought it would be a good idea to collect all of these into a single spot.

This thread is intended to debunk COVID-19 myths, hoaxes, untested suppositions, and any other claims that are "too good to be true."

First things first, there is currently no medically approved cure or vaccine for coronavirus, period.

There are many groups and institutions working to find it, but these things take time. When people are afraid, they are more likely to try things that are risky or untested, so we will not allow posts that claim to be a cure to remain in our forums.

In this thread we'd like to hear any suspicious information that you've heard here, or elsewhere. This is not to continue the spread of questionable info, but so we can engage with the community to provide verifiable data to the contrary of these claims.

We encourage all of our LiveScience forum experts to contribute their knowledge to this thread. Please make sure to cite from a secondary or primary source when debunking a hoax. With a herd mentality and the exchange of knowledge we can defeat the grifters out there trying to profit from this public health crisis.

Some misinformation that we've seen and removed includes:
  • Drinking bleach
  • Ingesting colloidal silver
  • Specially grown food products
  • General "wonder drugs"
Statements that are not proven with this strain of virus:

The best way to prevent the transmission of COVID-19 is to practice social distancing (keeping at least 6 feet or 1 meter from other people), and to wash hands your hands regularly and thoroughly (20 seconds at least).

While the forum rules are posted to every subforum, it's good to call special attention to this specific rule here:

• Live Science forums host discussions based on established scientific principles, and as such, posts that attempt to ignore the preponderance of evidence, disavow scientific fact, or engage in logical fallacies to arrive at unfounded conclusions will be removed.
Six feet is closer to two metres. For Canadians, about the length of a hockey stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.