Debunking Coronavirus Misinformation MegaThread

Page 4 - For the science geek in everyone, Live Science breaks down the stories behind the most interesting news and photos on the Internet.
Sep 23, 2020
@hellopunyhumans

I am like yourself asking that same question why is this virus getting so much attention

The only sense I can make of this virus is that it effects the human genome at the molecular level with that been said I would have to say a vaccine would not do much good . Could someone expand on this concept a little more I am not any way near an expert in any field .

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 23, 2021
So the main cause of death during this outbreak is not the virus but what it leads to, Pneumonia. But there is a Vaccine against Pneumonia, addmittedly it comes in 2 parts 12 months apart but part 1 protects against the most prevelent and dangerous forms. So far I have heard no mention of this, I would have thought this would be a major line of defence especially for the most vulnerable.
Pneumonia is not one cause but a collection of many. There can be viral, bacterial, or even chemical pneumonia.
The only vaccine for Pneumonia is for the bacterial kind, which is NOT at all related to any covid-19 death.
The cause of death after a person has been infected with covid-19 is almost always from an inappropriate over response from the immune system, the cytokine storm.
And there is no vaccine for that. However, there are immuno suppressants, and it is possible they may help. Quinine is one of them. If nothing else quinine and its artificial surrogates can stop the immune system from wasting time and risking harm from the immune system causing a fever, since fever can't harm covis-19. It evolved to survive in a bat in flight, so it can take extreme heat,

@hellopunyhumans

I am like yourself asking that same question why is this virus getting so much attention

The only sense I can make of this virus is that it effects the human genome at the molecular level with that been said I would have to say a vaccine would not do much good . Could someone expand on this concept a little more I am not any way near an expert in any field .
Not sure what you are saying?
All viruses effect the human genome.
All viruses reproduce by injecting their RNA into the nucleus of the host cell they have invaded, causing their genetic material to combine with that of the host, and then cause the virus to reproduce along with the cell.
But vaccines do work because T-cells and B-cells of the immune system can create antibodies that will seek out and engulf invading viruses like covid-19. The fact 96.4% of those infected survive, shows the immune system usually wins.
So there is no reason why vaccines can not be made to help train the immune system to more quickly identify and eradicate the virus.

Jan 6, 2020

Hey all,

Due to an abundance of posts touting natural remedies, DIY cures, and generally dangerous misinformation about the coronavirus, the Community Team thought it would be a good idea to collect all of these into a single spot.

This thread is intended to debunk COVID-19 myths, hoaxes, untested suppositions, and any other claims that are "too good to be true."

First things first, there is currently no medically approved cure or vaccine for coronavirus, period.

There are many groups and institutions working to find it, but these things take time. When people are afraid, they are more likely to try things that are risky or untested, so we will not allow posts that claim to be a cure to remain in our forums.

In this thread we'd like to hear any suspicious information that you've heard here, or elsewhere. This is not to continue the spread of questionable info, but so we can engage with the community to provide verifiable data to the contrary of these claims.

We encourage all of our LiveScience forum experts to contribute their knowledge to this thread. Please make sure to cite from a secondary or primary source when debunking a hoax. With a herd mentality and the exchange of knowledge we can defeat the grifters out there trying to profit from this public health crisis.

Some misinformation that we've seen and removed includes:
  • Drinking bleach
  • Ingesting colloidal silver
  • Specially grown food products
  • General "wonder drugs"
  • Coronavirus was caused by, or is linked to, 5G phone networks
Statements that are not proven with this strain of virus:

The best way to prevent the transmission of COVID-19 is to practice social distancing (keeping 6 feet/2 meters from one another or at the very least, 3 feet/1 meter from the nearest person), and to wash your hands regularly and thoroughly (20 seconds at least).

While the forum rules are posted to every subforum, it's good to call special attention to this specific rule here:

• Live Science forums host discussions based on established scientific principles, and as such, posts that attempt to ignore the preponderance of evidence, disavow scientific fact, or engage in logical fallacies to arrive at unfounded conclusions will be removed.
The virus itself causes a unique pneumonia. My response has been to fill a nasal mist pump sprayer with cetylpyradinium chloride dental rinse (without fluoride) and spray it up my nose and inhale repeated large numbers of sprays into my lungs all day until symptoms abate, taking effort to not swallow it as such. Since triclosan has been removed from the market, cetylpyradinium chloride is the safest available disinfectant for this use. It certainly has risks... and has prevented covid decline. My lungs remain fine despite my comorbidity of emphysema. I haven't smoked anything for years. Initially, it felt like gargling fluorosulfuric acid must feel in my throat. Now, I can tell it's there but only just. I gargle with it every 2 hours, in addition to 40 inhaled pumps from the mister every hour. As far as I know, this and using anticoagulant regimens to prevent blood clots, as well as trillions of organisms a day of probiotic to simultaneously stop cytokine storms and support effective Th cell immunity, are the only truly effective cheap treatments. You can get monoclonal antibodies, and those stupid marginally barely effective treatments like Remdesavir and dexamethasone. This is the place where Live Science doctors can call it unacceptably risky etc. But I dont care. They can ban me. I dont hold posting on this forum in high esteem. At one point they actually published a silly chinese study that indicated survival was enhanced by high numbers of gut clostridium. This is an AMA reviewed and controlled journal, and therefore geared to support Pharma. If someone came up with a way to reduce fatality from covid by 90+% and posted it here it would get reamed... especially were it affordable and from common stores.

Feb 23, 2021
I do not agree with your nasal inhaler strategy, but I had not thought of probiotics and that does sound like a potentially good idea.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I've heard claims and research that huge doses of vitamin C can even regress cancers. However, it cannot stop a virus from infecting you. The facts are simple, on the first encounter with a virus the body takes from 7 to 10 days to produce enough antibodies to fight the illness. Up to that point the virus has full reign to overwhelm someone. On the second encounter, within a couple decades. it should take around 2 days because of the acquired memory of the first encounter.

The challenge with this virus is it has come from a bat (a zoonosis) and most human’s bodies have not encountered it before, nor anything similar. Therefore, none of us have acquired immunity. Vitamins galore won’t change that.

I am very sceptical of the journal in which thes arcticles are published. I get the impression that it is not one of the best peer reviewed journals nor does it appear to be what is considered primary scientific in nature. It is what is classed as alternative medicine which have less stringent and objective ways of measuring their data.

"I took this one day and the next the illness went away so that must be the cure."

I am fraid t is not a simple. However, I am willing to admit I am wrong if you can present me with a single objetive and statisically correct study from this journal.
Chris
Not true.
Covid-19 is not totally new at all, since it is a coronavirus, similar to lots of other coronavirus we have been fairly immune to for millions of years.
The fact we defeat it in less than 2 weeks, shows we have immunity to it.
In fact , of the half million dead in the US from covid-19, less than 200 are children, so then clearly children had natural immunity, or at least are highly resistant.

And it is important to remember that the covid-19 virus has never killed anyone.
Those that have died after infection are actually dying from their own immune system over reacting, and mascerating the healthy tissue in the lungs.

Jan 6, 2020
Oh. And my dear ow! The stuff really wants to eat bleeding holes in you. Treatment you have to really stay on if! Ow!

Feb 23, 2021
Oh. And my dear ow! The stuff really wants to eat bleeding holes in you. Treatment you have to really stay on if! Ow!
Remember it is not the covid virus doing any of the damage.
It is entirely the over response by the immune system that is doing all the damage, the cytokine storm.
And although there is no known treatment for viruses, there ARE plenty of treatment we can use for an out of control immune system reaction.

Feb 23, 2021
What is really frightening is that all epidemics normally end from herd immunity, where the virus dies out because it was too greedy and used up all the convenient local hosts.
So then if one "flattens the curve", you essentially conserve hosts and prevent any epidemic from ever ending.
If this wrong headed idea of "flattening the curve" is used on any epidemic, then it prevents that epidemic from ever going away, and then greatly increases the death total over time.
The foolish notion of "flattening the curve" keeps epidemics around so long, they are then bound to evolve and become more endemic to humans, as well as more difficult to develop immunity to.

Jul 24, 2020
What is really frightening is that all epidemics normally end from herd immunity, where the virus dies out because it was too greedy and used up all the convenient local hosts.
So then if one "flattens the curve", you essentially conserve hosts and prevent any epidemic from ever ending.
If this wrong headed idea of "flattening the curve" is used on any epidemic, then it prevents that epidemic from ever going away, and then greatly increases the death total over time.
The foolish notion of "flattening the curve" keeps epidemics around so long, they are then bound to evolve and become more endemic to humans, as well as more difficult to develop immunity to.
Flattening the curve is keeping the spread under control until enough people are vaccinated, and herd immunity is achieved by vaccination.

Feb 23, 2021
Flattening the curve is keeping the spread under control until enough people are vaccinated, and herd immunity is achieved by vaccination.
No, by giving the epidemic more time, "flattening the curve" greatly increases the spread. The only way to control spread is to end it as QUICKLY as possible. The way ALL epidemics normally end is by not just letting it spike, but by maximizing the initial spike with variolation. If you wait a couple of years for a vaccine, you will have murdered a million people for no reason.
Fauci was wrong when he estimated 2.4 million would have died if we went the herd immunity route through inherent and acquired immunity, because he not only had his lethality rate 10 times too high because the asymptomatic were not being counted, meaning half the population likely already had inherent natural immunity, but that by deliberately infecting volunteers under 40, the lethality rate can be reduced by another factor of 40 that Fauci did not factor in.

Jul 24, 2020
No, by giving the epidemic more time, "flattening the curve" greatly increases the spread. The only way to control spread is to end it as QUICKLY as possible. The way ALL epidemics normally end is by not just letting it spike, but by maximizing the initial spike with variolation. If you wait a couple of years for a vaccine, you will have murdered a million people for no reason.
Fauci was wrong when he estimated 2.4 million would have died if we went the herd immunity route through inherent and acquired immunity, because he not only had his lethality rate 10 times too high because the asymptomatic were not being counted, meaning half the population likely already had inherent natural immunity, but that by deliberately infecting volunteers under 40, the lethality rate can be reduced by another factor of 40 that Fauci did not factor in.
Sars-cov-2 infection is too unpredictable and wide-ranging in its affinity for different organs with unknown long term effects, even in those under 40, to embark on that kind of approach whereby you purposely expose people to develop natural immunity as quickly as possible. All of those volunteers also become virus production labs for a while thus potentially passing the virus on to people more vulnerable. Controlling the spread until the vaccine was available (within a year) I believe saved many lives, as you see that the death rate goes up when the cases start to rise in an area.

Feb 23, 2021
Sars-cov-2 infection is too unpredictable and wide-ranging in its affinity for different organs with unknown long term effects, even in those under 40, to embark on that kind of approach whereby you purposely expose people to develop natural immunity as quickly as possible. All of those volunteers also become virus production labs for a while thus potentially passing the virus on to people more vulnerable. Controlling the spread until the vaccine was available (within a year) I believe saved many lives, as you see that the death rate goes up when the cases start to rise in an area.
Wrong.
Not only does covid-19 have zero affinity to any organs except the air passages of the lungs, but it is instantly destroyed on contact with blood.
The only harm is actually done by an over active immune system response, and NOT from the covid-19 virus at all.
And younger people have almost no chance of this immune system over reaction even happening.
For example, of the half million dead so far, only 200 or so are children.
By substituting the young for the elderly, you reduce the death rate by over a factor of 40.
And NO, you do NOT risk spread with deliberate infection since you know exactly who and when you have deliberately infected, so quarantine for 12 days is trivial.
The reality is that deliberate infection to accelerate herd immunity is calculated to have only cost 30,000 lives instead of the 500,000 that "flattening the curve" murdered. So there is no comparison. And it not only will take another year to get most people vaccinated, but it was just luck that they have already had a method working for a covid-19 vaccine. Normally it takes over 6 years if you have to start from scratch.

Jul 24, 2020
Wrong.
Not only does covid-19 have zero affinity to any organs except the air passages of the lungs, but it is instantly destroyed on contact with blood.
The only harm is actually done by an over active immune system response, and NOT from the covid-19 virus at all.
And younger people have almost no chance of this immune system over reaction even happening.
For example, of the half million dead so far, only 200 or so are children.
By substituting the young for the elderly, you reduce the death rate by over a factor of 40.
And NO, you do NOT risk spread with deliberate infection since you know exactly who and when you have deliberately infected, so quarantine for 12 days is trivial.
The reality is that deliberate infection to accelerate herd immunity is calculated to have only cost 30,000 lives instead of the 500,000 that "flattening the curve" murdered. So there is no comparison. And it not only will take another year to get most people vaccinated, but it was just luck that they have already had a method working for a covid-19 vaccine. Normally it takes over 6 years if you have to start from scratch.

Multiorgan and Renal Tropism of SARS-CoV-2
"The highest levels of SARS-CoV-2 copies per cell were detected in the respiratory tract, and lower levels were detected the kidneys, liver, heart, brain, and blood. These findings indicate a broad organotropism of SARS-CoV-2."

Literally the first result on a 5 second web search. This is a well described feature of this virus.

Notwithstanding that many younger than 40yrs old people have died from covid, to say that 12 days quarantine is 'trivial' is out of touch with the real world experience of this pandemic, where as little as only 20% of infected cases were actually self-isolating at one survey point.mAgain, you then have this highly mobile demographic out there spreading the virus further, putting those most vulnerable to severe illness at risk.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY