Question Could SARS-CoV-2 used as a vector for gene therapy?

Jun 12, 2021
Visit site
Reading an article about retroviral and adenoviral vectors used in gene therapy I had a question in mind about usage of SARS-CoV-2 as a viral vector. For a virus to be used as a vector it should show following properties-
  1. It should be able to replicate inside host
  2. It should be able to express inside host
  3. It should avoid immunosurvillance by an infected host
  4. It should have good genomic capacity for ligation of desired gene
  5. It should have low cytotoxicity
SARS-CoV-2 passes most of these conditions, being a zoonotic virus it is highy pathogenic and has high copy number. It is "sly as a fox" in avoiding immunosurvillance of the body as some people who got vaccinated also got infected. The genomic capacity is ~30kb [citation needed] which is similar to adenovirus vector. For low cytotoxicity we can use vaccination as an armour because survivability chances are higher in people who are vaccinated. The only thing that bothers me is the ligation of the desired gene in the vector and its expression in the host cell which could only be proven after experimental analysis. So, concluding my hypothesis I'm asking you this question whether you agree with me or not?

PS- sources
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0163725898000205
https://www.polyplus-transfection.com/blog/article/viral-vectors-for-gene-therapies/

No copyright infringement intended.

Reading an article about retroviral and adenoviral vectors used in gene therapy I had a question in mind about usage of SARS-CoV-2 as a viral vector. For a virus to be used as a vector it should show following properties-
  1. It should be able to replicate inside host
  2. It should be able to express inside host
  3. It should avoid immunosurvillance by an infected host
  4. It should have good genomic capacity for ligation of desired gene
  5. It should have low cytotoxicity
SARS-CoV-2 passes most of these conditions, being a zoonotic virus it is highy pathogenic and has high copy number. It is "sly as a fox" in avoiding immunosurvillance of the body as some people who got vaccinated also got infected.

The links are beyond my understanding I am afraid but I would ask these questions to determine whether to take forward as a paper.

Is the intention of this paper borne from SARS-CoV-2 being current?
WHat percentage of viruses pass the tests you have in your post?
What in particular makes you choose SARS-CoV-2 over other options?

FOund this paper which may be of interest-

Jun 12, 2021
Visit site
The links are beyond my understanding I am afraid but I would ask these questions to determine whether to take forward as a paper.

Answering your queries-
1.Indeed it's true that idea of writing this article came from current pandemic scenario.
2.There is no actual experimental analysis been done because neither I'm qualified to do it nor I'm in contact with someone who is eligible and has the right infrastucture to carry out the experiment.
3.There are certain limitations with the options we have today to use as a vector and to explore more and more options could someday give us the ideal or near ideal vector.

Also,thank you for the link will go through the article in my free time.